• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format An Alternative Grass Team (Virizion EX / Sceptile EX / Ariados)

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
So the other day I had was sifting through some ideas on making a new Expanded Deck and I came across an idea to maybe try out Virizion/Sceptile-Ex together!

Pokémon: 17
  • 4 Virizion-EX
  • 4 Sceptile-EX
  • 3 Spinarak
  • 3 Ariados
  • 2 Genesect-EX
  • 1 Shaymin-EX/Jirachi-EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 N
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Roller Skates
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Bicycle
  • 4 Giant Plant Forest
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
Energy: 11
  • 9 Grass Energy
  • 2 Plasma Energy
Strategy:

The idea is rather simple. Much like the standard Virizion/Genesect deck, you use Virizion EX to start accelerating damage by using Emerald Slash, powering up Sceptile-Ex's for Assasin's Claw. Ariados is placed in the deck to help take full advantage of Sceptile's attack and helps him reach 150 (170 with Muscle Band) to ensure a OHKO for any regular EX Pokémon. Genesect is mainly used to Red Signal other Pokémon to help out Sceptile get an easy K.O. or to stop Pokémon from mega evolving. While Genesect has the Ace Spec. G-Booster, it require's you to discard two energy cards for basically 30 more damage. True it maybe a bit easier to play but I still think Sceptile-Ex would still be fairly easy to set up with Ariados due to Giant Plant Forest, making it possible to set up Ariados at anytime.

Jirachi EX and Shaymin are optional in my opinion, but I do like having another way to gain draw support if I'm ever in need. I don't feel like more than one of either one is needed since you're able to usually set up rather easily and have lots of room for more acceleration if needed.

I opted not to do 4/4 of Sycamore or N since I'm already running a high amount of VS Seekers which means it's easier to just pull them out of the discard if need be. AZ is probably another optional and possibly not needed Supporter and cold be replaced for Birch's Observation's, but I felt it was worth noting for a few reasons. The first is being able to abuse Ariados, if it's not knocked out by your opponent and the bring out a new Pokémon, you can simply AZ it up and lay it back down if you have Forest out. Second is for Genesect, if you need to Red Signal your opponent up, simply use an AZ to scoop it up and use it, plus it'll most likely not have energy on it so it's easier to do. Obviously for Shaymin/Jirachi AZ is nice to prevent that easy 2 prize pickup from your opponent.

Overall, I'd say this deck is pretty simple to grasp and would be very fun to play. If you have any comments/suggestions please feel free to tell me!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Well, Sceptile's attack only costs two energy and if you go first then you get to use it turn one. So Virizion is almost useless(a year ago that would've been completely wrong:p) except for it's ability. Also, if you want to use Genesect's ability you need Plasma Energies. Hope this helps!:D

Well, Sceptile's attack only costs two energy and if you go first then you get to use it turn one. So Virizion is almost useless(a year ago that would've been completely wrong:p) except for it's ability. Also, if you want to use Genesect's ability you need Plasma Energies. Hope this helps!:D

Totally forgot that Red signal required Plasma Energy. True Virizion is almost useless, but it's still a nice way to have an acceleration drive to your other Pokemon as well. You could probably either pull out a few Trainer cards like Trainer's Male or Bikes to add in a few Plasma Energy (Which was totally silly of me to forget) or just add more Lysandre.

Totally forgot that Red signal required Plasma Energy. True Virizion is almost useless, but it's still a nice way to have an acceleration drive to your other Pokemon as well. You could probably either pull out a few Trainer cards like Trainer's Male or Bikes to add in a few Plasma Energy (Which was totally silly of me to forget) or just add more Lysandre.
True and Genesect can still be a backup attacker.

True and Genesect can still be a backup attacker.

That's the intent of Virizion being there. Megalo Cannon is still a decent attack as it deals 100 + 20 snipe damage. While there may be a better deck, I still feel like this isn't something you wont see and can be very a potentially pesky deck to deal with. While it's true you could cut Virizion, I feel like he's still useful for many reasons other than just energy acceleration. Virizion-EX is also a good way to see what is in your deck very early on if you don't Ultra Ball for anything and do get a rather good set up and don't want to get rid of anything possibly important. Plus Virizion naturally prevents your Pokémon falling vulnerable to Hypnotoxic Laser in expanded. Virizion in the deck most likely only be at max 3, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked over as it still provides many important factors here.

I don't think it's worth running 4 FoGPs just for Ariados. Virbank is a much better stadium choice because it allows Sceptile-EX to hit for 180 (130 + 20 + 30) on all non-grass Pokemon (and those not running Virizion-EX). FoGP would have more merit if you ran a pair of Mega Sceptile.

Virizion-EX is OK because of the prevalence of HTL, but because Sceptile-EX is relatively cheap, it's being used for its ability, so you only need 2 at most.

Genesect-EX also works as an ability Pokemon because Sceptile-EX doesn't require all grass to attack, so you can afford Plasma Energy, but I'm not to fond of it, I think Lysandre works just fine. If you wanted another 'bulky' grass attacker, Trevnant-EX can lock your opponents in as you poison them and can be built up to deal a fair amount of damage, but he has a high retreat and would requires some mobility cards.

I find Illumise PRC to be a versatile option with Sceptile-EX, but not a requirement by any means. It can 'accelerate' (only if it can survive an attack) or inflict a status effect.

Back