AP Courses

Jamtok

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone. I'm currently a GT student and am taking AP World History, as it is sadly the only AP course offered for sophomores at the high school I attend (and still making all A's). My question:

Is it worth it in the end? After working about 5 times as hard as the students in the regular classes, is it really going to help me in the end? For those of you in college already, did you take any AP courses in High School? Did the college you go to accept that dual credit, or were they douches, and denied it? I don't want to work my behind off for nothing if the majority of colleges, especially the one I want to go to, rejects my extra efforts. Oh, and rank...I'm number nine out of six hundred something people in my grade; is that okay? In other words, if I stay between 8-10 all the way into my senior year, will I be good to go, or do colleges only pay attention to people ranks #1-5? I know all these questions can be answered elsewhere, but your personal experience would really help. I'm really stressing about this; any help would be deeply appreciated.

Honestly the only thing I think AP classes are good for is college credit. I'm still applying to colleges but the three I am applying to accept most if not all of the credit I received from the AP tests. Some vary on how much credit you get for a test, but I think most colleges will accept most tests. You can usually find somewhere on the college's website what tests they accept and how much credit you receive.

Nine out of six hundred is a really good rank. You don't have to worry about it at all I don't think. I'm in the 20s to 30s out of about four hundred and one school I applied to offered me a scholarship for 75% of tuition each year for four years. As long as you don't drastically drop in rank you should be all right for when you apply to college in two years.

However, the type of college that you want to apply to is important. If it's a very hard college to get in to then you may have to work harder to increase your rank. But with state colleges and lesser known private colleges I don't think you would have any problems.

It saves you a lot of $$$ down the road. If you're able to get credit for a class, you don't have to pay for it. Think of it as taking the college course ahead of time and keep going.

I have an Uncle that works for recruiting for a local college, and in my opinion, it's not worth it. Here's my philosophy: Get As in every class in high school (AP or not) = Full ride scholarship = No money to pay. So, as long as you get a free scholarship, you won't have to pay either way. Plus, you don't have to take classes when you're in high school unless you really want to. It's really completely up to you, so don't ask people here. Think about what saves you time or work.

dmaster out.

The more AP classes you take, the better it looks.

Dmaster, could you tell us more about how your Uncle recruits people for the college? I.e., how AP classes are taken into account when looking at a student's resume.

GODZILLA said:

Dmaster, could you tell us more about how your Uncle recruits people for the college? I.e., how AP classes are taken into account when looking at a student's resume.

Yeah, well, I'm not completely sure as he only talks to the Seniors, and I'm not one, and my Mom talks to him about work, not me, so this is just speculation. From what I can tell, he says colleges don't care about the high level of courses you take, as long as you get a really high grade. (One of the reasons why I'm switching out of Honors English.) So, that's pretty much all there is to tell. ;f

dmaster out.

d master342 said:
GODZILLA said:

Yeah, well, I'm not completely sure as he only talks to the Seniors, and I'm not one, and my Mom talks to him about work, not me, so this is just speculation. From what I can tell, he says colleges don't care about the high level of courses you take, as long as you get a really high grade. (One of the reasons why I'm switching out of Honors English.) So, that's pretty much all there is to tell. ;f

dmaster out.

I think the better question is for WHICH college?

vilebaseball said:
d master342 said:
GODZILLA said:

dmaster out.

Umm, does it really matter? Anyway, I don't know, and I wouldn't talk about it if I did.

dmaster out.

d master342 said:
vilebaseball said:
d master342 said:
GODZILLA said:

dmaster out.

Umm, does it really matter? Anyway, I don't know, and I wouldn't talk about it if I did.

dmaster out.

Uhh, yes it does. If it's a mediocre - poor college (because I live in Michigan I can think of these off the top of my head) like Central Michigan or Grand Valley, they let pretty much everyone in, so obviously they could care less about AP stuff. If it's a nice - amazing school like University of Michigan or Princeton, obviously, I would give your uncles opinion more weight.

vilebaseball said:
Uhh, yes it does. If it's a mediocre - poor college (because I live in Michigan I can think of these off the top of my head) like Central Michigan or Grand Valley, they let pretty much everyone in, so obviously they could care less about AP stuff. If it's a nice - amazing school like University of Michigan or Princeton, obviously, I would give your uncles opinion more weight.

Since when is Central a mediocre school? I live in MI too and thats way off. It's like

Top Tier
Michigan
MSU
MIT
Hope

Standard Tier
Central
Wayne State
UDM
Western (kinda)

Mediocre
Eastern
Northern
Grand Valley State
Saginaw Valley State
etc. etc.

Sorry to everyone who has no idea what I'm talking about. As far as AP courses here, I REALLY want to know what they are weighted as, but I would figure the 5.0 is an A theory.

-Black Rayquaza

Thanks for the advice so far everyone; d master has persuaded me to not give a care of how "rigorous" the courses are, because not only of the reasons you provided, but also because I realized that the US government is going to do something stupid like the New World Order soon with all the Bilderburgs, Rothchilds, and Rockefellers as the world leaders and stuff like that (something like that). I dare you to tell me that it's a conspiracy; come on, I double dog dare you. :p

Seriously? He made like three posts about something he is not entirely sure about, and now you don't care about AP classes? That just says you weren't that interested in the first place.

No, I didn't mean don't care about it at all. _-_ I meant that if you feel it'll be too much work, you'll have to do it in College eventually, so it's a tradeoff. All it really does is save time, but since you'll probably go to a normal 4-year College, it won't be too much time taken off. I'd say consider it, but don't do it if you don't want to.

And oh yeah. Nice comeback Mr. Two Post Noob Sandwich. >___> That doesn't mean a God dang thing.

dmaster out.

I wasn't changing his mind because he said that he was already in an AP class and he at least showed some interest in taking more. I was merely remarking on the fact that you only posted a few times and completely changed his mind.

Well it wasn't on purpose! >_> Anyway, he sounded bored, so maybe it would be better if he took AP classes. A classic kick in the butt. You can always switch out of them if they're too hard anyway. I'd say give it a shot actually.

dmaster out.

In my case, I have nothing to lose when taking an AP class; I can get an A in these courses while getting much more education then I would in other classes. (AP Chemistry and AP Calc are not really that hard to me)

If you want to know whether the credit is accepted, you should consider the college you plan to enter and apply for. UF (University of Florida) happens to have a list of courses that it accepts, so I can use that.

Or you can try to earn your AA degree before you graduate High School, like I'm doing. I take both AP courses and Dual Enrollment so I can remove two whole years off my university's four.

If that isn't saving money, I don't know what is.

Bo-bo-bo-bo-bo-bo-bo-bo-bo. said:
sorry, no advice. What is college like?
If it's not contributing to the discussion (no advice), then that's spamming.

College is much different from high school in that you get to choose what times to take your classes. Want to sleep in late? Well, if you work your schedule out accordingly, you could!

As for AP courses, I would have to say that they can be quite difficult. But, after getting through them, the college credit is definitely worth it!

Back