Arachnophobia — Can Galvantula ex Be Good?

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hello PokeBeach readers! Isaiah here, and I am happy to be writing another article for you all! Last time, I discussed my Palafin ex deck and how I felt it could be a surprisingly strong play for the Baltimore Regional Championships. While I chose not to play the deck myself, I do think the deck was in a good spot, and even still might be. An attack that does 250 damage for one Energy is still remarkable, and it feels like the deck is just one good healing card away from being a high-tier threat.
As we have now moved past the Baltimore Regional Championships, though, we finally get to talk about Stellar Crown. All things considered, the last few sets have been relatively low-impact: Temporal Forces marked a rotation that resulted in many of the best decks staying good, then Twilight Masquerade saw minor changes with the introduction of...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I feel like how galvantula/2nd attack based terapagos decks do will base our views on future Tera Pokémon’s 2nd attacks. Like sylveon ex, it looks interesting, but how are we getting that 2nd attack off quickly and consistently enough

Terapagos ex is especially annoying to deal with when you play other basic rulebox decks, even Raging Bolt has some trouble pulling out the necessary damage, and the Bouffalant with Curly Wall makes it much more difficult. It's even a nightmare against my own Teal Mask ex & Serperior VSTAR deck since only my Serperior can attack Terapagos if it gets a single Crown Opal off.

Though, the biggest weakness I've seen is Dusknoir sniping a Bouffalant with Cursed Blast. If you can find a way to disable the defenses, that's the key to hard countering Terapagos ex. Canceling Cologne is also a good way to get past its resistance.

For the first time ever, there is a Noctowl card that is not just meta-relevant, but meta-defining.
Sorry, but I need someone experienced in the Neo formats to explain why Neo Genesis Noctowl was only meta-relevant before I buy this. The new Noctowl certainly wasn't the top-tier Noctowl, and though I'm trying to figure out the exact definition of meta-defining here, it was playable in every Neo format and appeared in what appear to be two top Rocket-Legendary Collection decks (I say "what appear to be" because the title of "top deck" on Jason's blog has not always aged well, with the painfully tier-three Arcanine/Electrode still being marked "top deck" on the Base-Fossil page, so take this with a grain of salt and ask an experienced Rocket-Legendary Collection player whether these decks still hold up). Source: https://jklaczpokemon.com/rocket-lc-decks/
Why is the title of this article different from the deck in discussion? Eh, clickbait I guess.
Most likely because the article had a really long prelude and the "free-to-read" cutoff was before the author got to Galvantula ex.

Why would/should anyone pay to see this clickbait tier article? Just when I thought this site's paywall couldn't be more stupid and community-inhibiting, this happens? It's like that hack did NOTHING in causing them to re-evaluate their ways... :/

All the Galvantula stuff is in the second half below the break, even the lead-in about why the thought process led to Galvantula in the first place. Decklist could have used some QA (SFA cards are all mis-coded as SHF), and even by the end, the author is pretty honest about the deck development still being WIP.

Why would/should anyone pay to see this clickbait tier article? Just when I thought this site's paywall couldn't be more stupid and community-inhibiting, this happens? It's like that hack did NOTHING in causing them to re-evaluate their ways... :/
Read the description at the end of the article. "Our article program isn't a corporate operation, advertising front, or for-profit business. We set our prices so that we can pay the game's top players to write the best content for our subscribers." It's not a site paywall, the website would continue just fine without it. People continue to pay to read these articles for the same reasons they continue to pay for coaching or masterclasses... they want to build up as broad a base of knowledge as possible before tackling larger events. Not satisfied with just one expert player's voice on YouTube, they want to consult as many experts as possible and are willing to pay those experts for their time because of how passionate they are about the game. For those who are interested in learning the history of paid articles program in the TCG, Jay Hornung published a video about the history of six prizes and his time writing there. (don't worry, admins, six prizes is defunct, I'm not advertising a competitor.)
As for the community, there is a wealth of information on the standard format available for free, infinitely more than in the days when http://google.com/ was new or nonexistent, when tournament results were not published on the internet and the top players guarded their deck lists and techs like jewels. Pokébeach is hardly holding the community ransom. There are just some players who are more financially committed to their hobby than others, and thus the market for tutoring, master classes, and a more recent paid articles program than http://google.com/ continues to endure.

Back