Pokemon Are Ghost Types the New Strongest Type?

Latios and Latias are weak to ice and neutral to fairy. Anyway, I see what you mean with ice not being as useful offensively, but normal has something immune to it and it isn't super effective on anything, and obviously it isn't hurting. I think that Ice has enough good moves and pokemon to stay relevant
EDIT: Oops, that was supposed to be a reply to J.D.'s earlier post

Rand said:
Latios and Latias are weak to ice and neutral to fairy.

No they're not, they're weak to Fairy.

Rand said:
Anyway, I see what you mean with ice not being as useful offensively, but normal has something immune to it and it isn't super effective on anything, and obviously it isn't hurting. I think that Ice has enough good moves and pokemon to stay relevant

No one's saying Ice isn't useful offensively. It's not useful defensively because it's only resistant to itself.

Rand said:
Latios and Latias are weak to ice and neutral to Fairy.

Psychic does NOT Resist Fairy. The leaker said so, but it was Poison instead. That makes Dragon/Poison the only Type combination to be Weak to Ice and to Resist Fairy.

Luispipe8 said:
Rand said:
Latios and Latias are weak to ice and neutral to Fairy.

Psychic does NOT Resist Fairy. The leaker said so, but it was Poison instead. That makes Dragon/Poison the only Type combination to be Weak to Ice and to Resist Fairy.

Poison and Steel =P The leaker only got the Fire-type right in that part. ^^'

Also, everything Fairy is SE against it either resists or is immune to. If only Ice got treated that well!

^Are you still talking about Ghost-types? If you are, well, Ghosts don't resist Dragon and are weak to Dark...

Bolt the Cat said:
No one's saying Ice isn't useful offensively.
I'm pretty sure I said Ice isn't useful offensively, at least, not as much as it use to be... I mean, beyond the 4X weak Pokemon, what's the point of going with Ice if you have Fairy instead? And with Ice-types so defensively pathetic, you can't even hope for Ice-type STAB... really, unless you're lacking in Fairy-type offenses or dedicated to opposing a specific opponent, why use Ice when Fairy is so blatantly superior?

Bolt the Cat said:
Couldn't Game Freak create a patch that gives Ice types more resistances?
True... they could see the error of their ways and patch the game, or update the type chart with the inevitable followup titles... but then, you'd think they would have seen the obvious problems with Ice-type already... if they didn't changed it now, does that mean they intended on keeping it the way it is?

This thread is about the Ghost type's potential status as the new best type, not the Ice type. You can discuss the Ice type's long list of disadvantages here. :p

Metalizard said:
^Are you still talking about Ghost-types? If you are, well, Ghosts don't resist Dragon and are weak to Dark...

I said FAIRY types in my post.

Cons: Ghost types tend to have low hp, they also don't have many common resistances, so even STAB boosted attacks can leave them gasping for air. Their average speed is low, stab options are limited, and overall are low in number.

Pros: They have 2 immunities to 2 very common types, there move pools are colorful on average, and they often have high offensive stats.

Seems pretty balanced

so maybe this gen we will be able to see new ghost type pokemon with pseudo legendary stats - almost every pseudo legendary pokemon is dragon type
.but then again if this gen they wont give it to a dragon type they will probably give the pseudo stats to a fairy type

I think I'm more interested in whether or not Ghost Pokemon can now escape Pursuit. That seems like the bigger game changer in competitive play. Most Ghost types are defensive and spend a lot of their time spamming Will-o-Wisp and other technical moves, rather than hammering targets with their STAB.

Gengar is the only true winner as far as current Ghost types go. Scizor and Jirachi no longer check it, and the Poison STAB might actually be useful in this generation thanks to Fairy. Not many things will want to take on a Shadow Ball / Slime Wave / Focus Blast Gengar.

Ghost's two most important resistances (Fighting and Bug) are now shared by the Fairy type.That definitely adds competition for a team slot. So I don't think Ghost will ever become a "must have" type like Water. It will always be mandatory on stall teams, but apart from that I don't see it becoming anything special.

Dragons were overpowered because of their high Base Stats and high Base Power moves (Outrage/ Draco Meteor).
The strongest moves a Ghost-type now has is Shadow Ball/ Shadow Claw (not counting Shadow Force). Also, most Ghost-types don't have stats as superior as a Dragon's. So unless more powerful (at least Base 100) moves are introduced, Ghosts won't be getting much increase in usage.

Though I am interested to see how Ghosts can now escape trapping moves. Escaping Shadow Tag/ Arena Trap is fine and dandy, but escaping Pursuit would definitely be something Ghost-types will appreciate.

One thing is for sure though. With Ghost/ Poison typing, Gengar is going to be OU for the 6th Gen running. :D

bacon said:
I think I'm more interested in whether or not Ghost Pokemon can now escape Pursuit.

That doesn't make sense. Pursuit doesn't prevent you from escaping, it just hits you when and iff you do.

Back