BW/BW2 Are These Games a Reboot to the franchise?

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Do you believe that Pokemon Black & White is a reboot to the Pokemon video game franchise in terms of starting everything over from scratch eliminating backwards compatibility?

I don't think so, I think Pokemon still has it's popularity. Of course these games will get more hype than HGSS but I think it's more of a "Add more fuel to the fire" situation other than a "Trying to put wood together to get the fire back flaming" situation.

I do think they wanted to start fresh though, this game looks pretty different so far from previous pokemon games...which I guess we say that about every new gen that comes out. :p

Personally I don't want to see these games become the new Ruby/Sapphire 2.0 where everyone has to start over from scratch completely and not be able to get back their old Pokemon from Gen IV. That would hurt just about everyone who got into the DS games in 2007 onward.

That'd be like, "Hey you want to transfer a team from HGSS or Platinum onto Black & White? Well too bad you can't."

I see what you mean, I wouldn't wanna see that either. These are for the DS, right? Not 3DS? Maybe since this time Gen IV and Gen V are on the same system there's a better chance we'll be able to trade, it'll just be limited Kinda like Gen 1 and Gen 2. You could trade with each other but you couldn't trade your Cyndaquil over to Red or Blue. I think that makes the most sense.

Yes it's been confirmed to be released for all DS systems (DS, DS Lite, DSi, 3DS) in Japan this September. It will be released in the U.S. in Spring 2011.

It's been confirmed that you can send pokemon from Gen. 4 games to Black and White but you can't send any pokemon back to Gen. 4

what really scares me with this "reboot" is the non-existence anymore of Gyms in BW :(

I don't believe that beehive thingy is really a Gym even though it has a gym-like bg music. @_@

achernar said:
what really scares me with this "reboot" is the non-existence anymore of Gyms in BW :(
That's just your assumption. Nothing about the gyms is revealed yet, that doesn't mean they're not included. New on the gyms tends to be revealed very late so.

Mmm.. there are always pros to a new start, so to speak. Personally it will be bothersome that you can't really transfer anything but generation 4 pokemon.. but I suppose this also gives us all sorts of new things to look forward to.

I guess you can either see it is a challenge or a bother. -scratches head- I personally look forward to the changes.. but on the otherhand, some of them I could live without.

Isn't this like the second or third topic you made about your "fears" of them removing backwards compatibility? In any case, yes, it has been confirmed that they are backwards compatible, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to transfer the Shiny Legendary Beasts and Celebi from the 4th Gen games. We don't know *how* yet, but does it really matter how they do it?

Personally, I'd rather use a completely original team anyways.

Omg, Card Slinger im sorry but this is getting annoying. U keep on asking how to transfer from dp to bw. Ok, then how did u transfer rb to dp? We told u it has been confirmed so its confirmed. We'll get more details when they come. So for now u CAN transfer it is confirmed.

rockinpikachu said:
Omg, Card Slinger im sorry but this is getting annoying. U keep on asking how to transfer from dp to bw. Ok, then how did u transfer rb to dp? We told u it has been confirmed so its confirmed. We'll get more details when they come. So for now u CAN transfer it is confirmed.

Agreed. Trading between DPt/ HGSS and BW has been confirmed. Just because we don't know the exact mode as to how this will occur does not mean it will not happen.

Besides it is a videogame, if for some reason you were to lose your team from a past generation's game I am sure you'd get over it. It is data, nothing more.

SQUIRTLETamer08 said:
Agreed. Trading between DPt/ HGSS and BW has been confirmed. Just because we don't know the exact mode as to how this will occur does not mean it will not happen.

Besides it is a videogame, if for some reason you were to lose your team from a past generation's game I am sure you'd get over it. It is data, nothing more.
Not even mentioning your team might be useless or not as good as it was in the 4th generation with all the new Pokemons, attacks, abilities etc. coming, sure the whole metagame will chance again.

SQUIRTLETamer08 said:

Hmmm... so maybe I can transfer a Meditite into my Black/White team. :33

They do seem to be starting fresh but at the same time I don't think they'd just abandon the 1st-4th Generations. That would be very silly.

I can see it happening that the Pokemon Black/White games will have little reference to previous pokemon apart from the Transfering of pokemon from the 4th generation and getting older generation pokemon in dreams.

One thing I do like about the new games is that they're paying a bit more attention to the town and cities style. Sometimes towns and cities can look very similar in pokemon games. There seems to be more life in Pokemon Black/White's locations. I love how in Hiun city people actually pass you in the street like they're actually going somewhere rather than moving back and forth until the end of time.

Back