Artist review-Ken Sugimori

Who is the best artist in the TCG?

• Total voters

Tomokazu Komiya

He's cool. Sorta.
Best work - Lotad (EX Deoxys) This is perfect. The cute little Lotad, sitting there in the rain. I looove the raindrops- they give the drawing the perfect not-too-dark-not-too-light feel.
Worst work - Brock's Golbat (Gym Heroes) Man, it's hard to find a bad Sugimori drawing. But, I guess this has to be the worst. That thing is UUUUUGLY.

Ken Sugimori's artwork often looks great. That said, it can look a little bland.. but that's because they use his artwork for practically everything, so its nothing of his fault, really. He normally takes the official art he did, and whacks a foreground and background onto it.

Recently, he's been changing his style (see Fieldworker). Awesome!

I know, the new style is pretty cool but it's not as Sugimori-esque. I really like his trainer work-Pokemon Nurse is my favorite! (Just look at that cute little Wooper with that cute little nurse... coochy-coochy... :))

Ken Sugimori is the best!
No wonder, he's Satoshi Tajiri's best friend afterall!

I rarely see Sugimori art in newer sets unless it is a secret rare or a TCG debute. But his art is simply amazing.

His art may be good but it's too plain. It's like they run out of ideas for pictures or just cant be bothered drawing something original so they slap a Ken Sugimori picture onto a plain colour background to try and make it look pretty. IMO, it looks ugly. I prefer the more original pictures where the pokemon blends with the background and is doing something (or looking) different then it usually is.

I love Sugimori's work! It's just awesome. Sure it's overused but I still like it just fine.

You know he almost single handedly created the first 251 Pokemon without much outside help except for Mr. Tajiri telling him what they looked like? Pure coolness. Sugimori is my favorite and always will be. I hope he's at Worlds 06 this year because I want something signed by him! :D Here I go rambling again...

No Masakazu Fukuda??!!?!?!?! :(

That would be my choice, why must you forget the star artist????

RE:  Artist review-Ken Sugimori

Holy Star said:

i think he is the best drawer of the new sets. I can't find any bad ones he did.

I'm a Sugimori fangirl. Sure his work may be a little bland sometimes, but most of card art is well drawn.

I wish I could of gone to the Worlds to meet him and get something autographed.

Holy Star said:

You could always just fix the poll.. =P

I mean, Aya Kusube (sp?) wasn't getting any votes, and probably wasn't going to get any votes, so... (Hope you don't mind, Tomokazu..)

RE:  Artist review-Ken Sugimori

Holy Star said:

I know I know I know.... had a complete brainfreeze there. So sorry!

RE:   Artist review-Ken Sugimori

Screwed up quote thing, but Bass_Forte wrote:

You could always just fix the poll.. =P

I mean, Aya Kusube (sp?) wasn't getting any votes, and probably wasn't going to get any votes, so... (Hope you don't mind, Tomokazu..)

Hey, I kind of like Kusube's style. The sketch style is very unique. I did like the old ones better, though, like Aquapolis Slowpoke.

BTW, how do you change a poll?

Back