Artistic Inquiries Thread - Ask Anything Related to Art!

RE: Art Questions Thread

Can someone make me a signature? I'm new. But I have lots of pokemon experience.

GATES321 said:
Can someone make me a signature? I'm new. But I have lots of pokemon experience.

I can. What do you want it to look like?

Quick question: Can we have a thread purely dedicated to just artistic services? Or do we have to include it within our existing art thread?

Description said:
You may also offer artistic services to PokeBeach forum users in your thread.
--

I'll talk to safariblade about whether we should include a service thread.

I've been getting back into drawing, and am in search of a quality art set to use for general purpose. The only supplies I have now are your generic, elementary-school-clad, run of the mill catastrophe of miscellaneous colored pencils and markers. The product does not necessarily need to be professional grade, but of quality enough for a serious artist.

My hope was to buy it all together in a set, but if anyone recommends otherwise, I'll consider. I also don't want to be spending a lot of money, as this is just a hobby.

I'd recommend some metallic pencils. 0.5mm. They can be used generally or for detailing and they don't need to be sharpened. Keeps your workspace looking a little more tidy and professional. Either HB or 2B.
Mechanical Erasers are also extremely useful for getting rid of things in small spaces and making minor changes. Block Erasers only should be used to get rid of large areas. Generally lightly shaded areas.
Graphite Sticks can offer extremely dark tones, just don't breath the powder when you sharpen it ;]
You should be able to get most of the things you need from Staples or something.

Sorry I'm not too informed on any of the coloured stuff. I'd like to know some of that myself.

Since Delta already covered just drawing, I can give some tips on tools for colouring.

The best markers are Copics, specifically the Sketch and Ciao varieties. There are two nibs on each marker. The first one is a brush nib, which is very versatile and easy to use. The second is the chisel nib which is basically like a highlighter nib. When I use Copics I only use the brush as it's the best for colouring because it give better colours and doesn't leave streaks. With some Copic pieces in my locker I've had people say it looks like it was done with the computer. There are over 300 colours. The biggest problem with the markers is that they don't do well with most pens and all pencils. You either need a Copic Multiliner or you have to photocopy your work to colour it. I photocopy as I don't have a multiliner. I don't know much about other markers but basically everybody agrees Copics are the best. Retail price in Canada is about $8 a marker for Sketch. I'm not sure about the Ciao. The best thing to do is get them off some websites. Websites like the Paigeedraw store have Copics for much cheaper and also have other markers and such.

With pencil crayons (or coloured pencils for you USA peeps) I use Prismacolor Premier. Prismacolor has some of the best pencil crayons on the market. They also have different varieties, like Scholar and Verithin. Scholar pencils are much cheaper and still very good. If you don't have much money I recommend Scholar, but if you can afford it or wait for a good sale/coupon at Michael's then get Premier. Once again they have a large variety of colours. The only thing is that you should first have a good amount of experience with pencil crayons before buying Premiers, otherwise it's a useless purchase.

That's all I got for now. Hope it helped!

/me cringes at the price of some of these

So I am under the impression that I won't be able to buy all-in-one set?

Jay said:
* Jay cringes at the price of some of these

So I am under the impression that I won't be able to buy all-in-one set?
Most likely not, unless you really want to invest fair bit in it. I suggest buying maybe a 12 set of Copics to try it out or buy just a few from Michael's. Also for pencil crayons Derwent and Faber-Castell are good companies that have cheaper supplies.

So I went to blick's and spent about $50

Do you guys think this will do?
iwt1s5.jpg

Yes, these should work for what your doing. It gives you the basics in colors and such. Like the gummy erasers.

Yes, it's a good amount. When I first got copics I started out with three also and I have gradually built up a small collection. It's a good amount to test out supplies and see whether you like the feel of them or not.

Will I be able to shade even though I only have 1 shade of each color? I almost bought the colorless blender, but assumed that it was for blending different shades.

*edit* Also, do copic markers last long?

Yes, you can still shade with only one colour, but it's not extreme shading. Copics do seem to last long, and even if you run out of ink you can buy refills, which are about the same price as the marker and fills it several times.

Articuno said:
Does anyone know why the Tutorial and Resource Thread was unstickied?

We are working on creating a revamped thread.

Hmm ok so I now own:

V20..V22..V25
RV000..RV52..RV55
E04..R56..R59
YR20..YR23..YR27
G40..G43..G46
B01..B04..B06

B 02 Robins egg

B 05 Process Blue

B 21 Baby blue

B 24 sky

B 34 Manganese

BV 02 Prune

G 05 Emerald Green

V 04 Lilac

V 12 Pale Lilac

V 17 Amethyst

VR 00 Power Pink

YG 03 Yellow green

Y 15 Cadmimum Yellow

Y 21 Butter cup yellow

R 20 Blush

E 00 Skin white

E 000 Pale fruit pink

E 31 Brick beige

E 33 Sand

W3 Warm warm grey no. 3

W5 Warm grey no. 5

W7 warm grey No. 7

C1 cool grey No. 1

C3 cool grey No. 3

C5 cool grey No. 5

C7 Cool grey No. 7

N0 Neutral grey No. o

N7 Neutral grey No. 7

N10 Neutral grey No. 10

T4 Toner grey No. 7

What else do you think I need for a well-rounded collection?

I'm not sure, I don't have many copics orz Honestly, it's just how you personally like your art to be. If you want lots of colour and detail then you most likely want more. Otherwise I can't say much.

Does anyone think SAI is better than Photoshop? I need some suggestions on this.

To draw, SAI is far better as the line quality is effortlessly superb and you can change it depending on what you need. Photoshop is better for added effects and probably shading. I'd still keep to SAI for colour.

SAI can also save to .PSD so the two go hand in hand.

Back