Ash Ketchum’s Journey Ends After 25 Years, Fulfilling Conditions of Pokemon Anime Director from 2008

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Back in 2008, I interviewed Masamitsu Hidaka, the original director of the Pokemon anime. It was in these interviews that Hidaka revealed behind the scenes information about the show. For example, Celebi was originally intended to be in the GS Ball.
I asked Hidaka if Ash would ever become a Pokemon Master:
Now an overall question about the show. Will Ash ever become a Pokemon Master? [Hidaka] laughed and fell back on the couch. He blatantly said that when Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, the show will end.
Masamitsu Hidaka’s answer has now become true.
Ash’s journey will be coming to an end after 25 seasons. As most fans know, Ash just won the World Coronation Series, defeating Leon to become the world’s...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
If this had happened 10, 12 years ago, I'd be fine with it – I'd actually welcome it.

But that's not what happened, and in the meantime Satoshi and Pikachu turned into a national treasure and staple of Japanese television. It's a very weird decision and one that feel particularly clunky, being made right after they more or less "solved" the formula of how to keep Satoshi feeling fresh from one 'generation' of the anime to the next.

Last edited:
This news is jaw dropping. I first discovered Pokémon watching Ash, and now Ash is moving on. I give it 2 weeks before the shipping community realizes Ash could get married now.

This news is jaw dropping. I first discovered Pokémon watching Ash, and now Ash is moving on. I give it 2 weeks before the shipping community realizes Ash could get married now.
He did had some good amount of girls that loved him, unlike me :( My guess is Misty since she is close to his home.

I’m so sad because of this. I hope they bring him back for guest appearances. What about Team rocket?!? I was hoping we would get a Team rocket based set someday especially with ex returning. Dark pokemon were so cool! Now is team rocket and talking meowth gone forever?!? ?

I think weirder than not having Ash is not having Pikachu anymore. Pikachu is the face of the franchise and not having it as a constant on the anime is just crazy to imagine.

I’m so sad because of this. I hope they bring him back for guest appearances. What about Team rocket?!? I was hoping we would get a Team rocket based set someday especially with ex returning. Dark pokemon were so cool! Now is team rocket and talking meowth gone forever?!? ?
Isn't Team Rocket in Paldea? They sort of teased that in the last 3 episodes when showing the starters. As far as I know they only confirmed Ash as being out.

About time, while I always found it nice and formulaic that you just shuffled out his regular Pokemon aside from Pikachu to give the new gen stuff some light, I always was miffed that Pikachu always resets... I mean it should be a god damn level 100 by now! Granted this was not as annoying as the recurrence of Team Rocket. That being said, I hope the closure of it all is satisfying. As a gen 1 dood myself, I honestly hope it ends with Ash and Misty together; it's been a long time coming.

I think weirder than not having Ash is not having Pikachu anymore. Pikachu is the face of the franchise and not having it as a constant on the anime is just crazy to imagine.
I think this Pikachuism has really hurt Pikachu a lot. It's shiny is dogcrap, Raichu gets ignored, "the next Pikachu" end up underwhelming, and poor Pawmot looks exactly like Pawmi

definitely an iconic character, but rather shallow all things considered. End of an era, for sure, but possibly opening the doors to something new.

When I was a kid, Ash Ketchum was my hero. I would pretend I was him all the time, and he was an awesome role model. During the covid pandemic I would watch the pokemon show to remind me of better times. I will miss ash greatly.

"I guess this is it."
-Ash Ketchum

Back