Fun Beedrill (Primal Clash)

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
So for awhile, I have been wanting to play Beedrill from the Primal Clash set. For those who doesn't know what it does, it has called Allergic Shock that basically causes your opponent's defending Pokémon to be knocked out if hit by an attack. While I don't see this being a competitive deck, I still think it would be very fun to play.

I have had a few ideas of what could go with this deck. I thought of a combo like Dragalge and Ariados being a very good combo to go with this deck because of poison lock. Hypnotoxic Laser in expanded would only help even more since it'd only be a single card instead of a line. Since it has free retreat, it'd be easy to send up another Pokémon with a low attack cost to go in and knock out an EX with low energy cost.

What do you all think about this?

It's definitely a viable deck for fun battles, in my opinion. There was quite a bit of discussion in the forums here about it when it first came out, although it just lacked that firepower. With Ariados for a constant poison onslaught and Forest of Giant Plants for some insane speed, I'd imagine this could actually become a competitive deck, if lines could be consistent enough. As for a low attack cost Pokemon, Miltank is the primary one that comes to mind, although I'd imagine there to be others that would be bulkier or have free retreat for momentum, and thus work better. In Expanded, Beedrill also has access to Rescue Scarf, which is a pretty amazing tool for streaming Beedrill with the FGP effect.

It's definitely a viable deck for fun battles, in my opinion. There was quite a bit of discussion in the forums here about it when it first came out, although it just lacked that firepower. With Ariados for a constant poison onslaught and Forest of Giant Plants for some insane speed, I'd imagine this could actually become a competitive deck, if lines could be consistent enough. As for a low attack cost Pokemon, Miltank is the primary one that comes to mind, although I'd imagine there to be others that would be bulkier or have free retreat for momentum, and thus work better. In Expanded, Beedrill also has access to Rescue Scarf, which is a pretty amazing tool for streaming Beedrill with the FGP effect.

Most definitely, Rescue Scarf would be a big impact on Beedrill in my opinion. As weird as it sounds, Shaymin EX I feel like would be a viable option with Sky Return since it'd return to your hand.

Parallel City also came to mind as well if you had the extra room aside from GPF as it would reduce your opponent's bench space to three, meaning they'd have even less space to move around and play with than before.

AT Entei may be a viable option since it'd be able to have two tools attached, meaning it could have even more damage reduced due to less people running startling megaphone now, it also has a solid 130 HP and a two energy attack meaning it could work very well for Beedrill. Hard Charm and Float Stone (if it's in the English set) could provide a huge buffer for Entei.

Parallel City could work, although I reckon that it doesn't directly effect your primary strategy of locking your opponent in place. As such, I think it would be better to go with the more consistent route of just GPF. In regards to Entei, well, I really would avoid using any attack besides those that are cheap, 1-energy attacks for maximum consistency/reliability and streaming. Dunsparce (lol) would be really your only free-retreat Pokemon, although it does have a cheap attack of 20.

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about this card. Thinking competitively, it doesn't seem like it would work that well against Vespiquen, as the deck would get up to speed and starts OHKOing your Beedrills very quickly and this deck is a 2HKO-based deck, albeit a unique one. Though that said, if you were to play Miltank, you can OHKO Vespiquens with a Muscle Band and forsake the Allergic Shock tactic for that matchup.

Am I right in assuming that Allergic Shock would wear off if your opponent retreats? If so, it definitely seems like the Ariados/Dragalge combo is necessary in this deck, just to prevent the opponent from retreating and ruining your strategy. Even with that in play, switching cards like, uh, Switch and Escape Rope are still an issue, as well as AZ and Super Scoop-Up. I suppose not every deck runs those cards, though. And by scooping a Pokemon up, it does mean that they forsake a lot of setup.

Though it may have some fun synergy with AT Swellow...Allergic Shock + Peck for potential 3-prize knockout?

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about this card. Thinking competitively, it doesn't seem like it would work that well against Vespiquen, as the deck would get up to speed and starts OHKOing your Beedrills very quickly and this deck is a 2HKO-based deck, albeit a unique one. Though that said, if you were to play Miltank, you can OHKO Vespiquens with a Muscle Band and forsake the Allergic Shock tactic for that matchup.

Am I right in assuming that Allergic Shock would wear off if your opponent retreats? If so, it definitely seems like the Ariados/Dragalge combo is necessary in this deck, just to prevent the opponent from retreating and ruining your strategy. Even with that in play, switching cards like, uh, Switch and Escape Rope are still an issue, as well as AZ and Super Scoop-Up. I suppose not every deck runs those cards, though. And by scooping a Pokemon up, it does mean that they forsake a lot of setup.

Though it may have some fun synergy with AT Swellow...Allergic Shock + Peck for potential 3-prize knockout?

That'd be a good idea honestly, I also though of using Vileplume as well, though that may make the deck clunky. Swellow would easy to get out and would take advantage against Mega decks.

I think a good idea would to be have a Pokémon that retreats to the bench after an attack, that way you can already be prepped with Beedrill for an onslaught, or use tech cards like Wobbuffet to stop abilities.

Parallel City could work, although I reckon that it doesn't directly effect your primary strategy of locking your opponent in place. As such, I think it would be better to go with the more consistent route of just GPF. In regards to Entei, well, I really would avoid using any attack besides those that are cheap, 1-energy attacks for maximum consistency/reliability and streaming. Dunsparce (lol) would be really your only free-retreat Pokemon, although it does have a cheap attack of 20.

I was thinking of Entei's first attack, it was a mere two energy and reduced damage as it had a solid 120 HP. Dunsparce would be a good card since it's free retreat and a single energy. GPF would be most definitely be your first card to use, Parallel City would only be after setup but I can see your point as well.

I'm not entirely sure the Knock Out is a result of damage from [Swellow's] attacks, but rather the effect. You'd have to get a professor ruling on it.

I'm not entirely sure the Knock Out is a result of damage from [Swellow's] attacks, but rather the effect. You'd have to get a professor ruling on it.

That's a good point, I may post a question about in the Professor's Ruling Forum to see how it would work.

So after checking on the ruling through the Professors Thread, I kind of did some more research and I thought of some ideas for Beedrill.

- Vileplume for this deck I feel will help it out tremendously, forcing your opponent not be able to switch as easily as before with the lack of time cards.
- Dunsparce a bbninja's said before is great. It's a one energy attack and free retreat, meaning less hassle.
- Rainbow Energy/Fair Energy + Fairy Garden is also a great way to get around Vileplume's retreat issue, and will be harder to remove due to item lock.
- Robot Substitute could also be a good way to create set up as well.
- Gengar-EX while it sounds weird, Dark Corridor makes it where your Beedrill is active, with Dimensional Valley, it's only one energy.
- Bellossom also takes advantage of switching from the active, but is a stage two and needs Giant Plant Forest.

There a few ideas I had about making this deck, though I don't know how viable it'd be until I tested them out. Any ideas?

Back