Best Deck Post-DE (CMT, Zek, Dark?)

iisnumber12 said:
No, we had about 100 in each division, but I still stand by my argument. That was just an example and it makes sense. Truth can lose because of some small change in somebody's list. In small tournaments, you know pretty much what everybody's playing and a good percentage of their list. You can then use that to play against them. In larger tournaments however, you can't guess what everybody's playing and you will not know what you're up against.

I repeat, Celebi won a Regionals. I got 6th at a States. I know someone who got 2nd at a States. I also know someone that got 4th at a States. There are probably countless other top cuts and wins with it at States and Regionals. Those are all pretty big tournaments.

I never said it couldn't do good. I said it was unlikely. I'm shocked that Celebi won regionals with it (even if he is a great player which he is). It is just less likely to do good than other decks.

iisnumber12 said:
I never said it couldn't do good. I said it was unlikely. I'm shocked that Celebi won regionals with it (even if he is a great player which he is). It is just less likely to do good than other decks.

I wasn't shocked at all. You want to know why? Because the player size of a tournament does not change how good a deck is.

alexmf2 said:
I wasn't shocked at all. You want to know why? Because the player size of a tournament does not change how good a deck is.

Assuming it was a top 32, I am totally shocked that it won. He had to face 4 decks in a row that could not beat Truth. Very unlikely IMO.

iisnumber12 said:
Assuming it was a top 32, I am totally shocked that it won. He had to face 4 decks in a row that could not beat Truth. Very unlikely IMO.

Precisely my point...

iisnumber12 said:
Assuming it was a top 32, I am totally shocked that it won.

alexmf2 said:
How so? You just said you were not surprised he won a large tournament. Neither was I.

Uh...no....but regardless, The Truth is still an amazing deck...or was until Raikou EX came out. If ZekEels remains as popular as it has been and the majority tech in 1 Raikou like is expected, The Truth will come crumbling down, which is sad considering Groudon EX was about to give it a chance.

iisnumber12 said:

I assumed that this was sarcasm.

Dark Void said:
Uh...no....but regardless, The Truth is still an amazing deck...or was until Raikou EX came out. If ZekEels remains as popular as it has been and the majority tech in 1 Raikou like is expected, The Truth will come crumbling down, which is sad considering Groudon EX was about to give it a chance.

I'm not saying whether The Truth is good or bad. It's just an example that I am using.

You were for real when you said that you were totally shocked that The Truth beat 4 decks in a row that had no chance of beating it?

alexmf2 said:
You were for real when you said that you were totally shocked that The Truth beat 4 decks in a row that had no chance of beating it?

I was surprised it went against 4 decks in a row that couldn't beat it.

iisnumber12 said:
I was surprised it went against 4 decks in a row that couldn't beat it.

Oh...

And they definitely had a chance to beat it. What top tier deck autowins any other top tier deck? There is no way to ever guarantee a win.

And what does this have to do with the power of a deck vs. players in the tournament?

alexmf2 said:
Oh...

And they definitely had a chance to beat it. What top tier deck autowins any other top tier deck? There is no way to ever guarantee a win.

And what does this have to do with the power of a deck vs. players in the tournament?

If it were a top 2, there would be less chances for him to lose. He had to get lucky to play against 4 people in a row who didn't play cards that hurt the truth.

iisnumber12 said:
If it were a top 2, there would be less chances for him to lose. He had to get lucky to play against 4 people in a row who didn't play cards that hurt the truth.

That's not true at all. There is no luck involved, he either plays people that have cards that make the matchup easier or that make the matchup harder. By your logic, in a smaller tournament there would be less people with the cards that make the matchup harder. But that isn't true. There should still be the same ratio. Even if there isn't, it would count for every deck in the format, so no one deck would be better in a smaller tournament or better in a larger tournament.

alexmf2 said:
That's not true at all. There is no luck involved, he either plays people that have cards that make the matchup easier or that make the matchup harder. By your logic, in a smaller tournament there would be less people with the cards that make the matchup harder. But that isn't true. There should still be the same ratio. Even if there isn't, it would count for every deck in the format, so no one deck would be better in a smaller tournament or better in a larger tournament.

I ask you a question:

Which of the following is a larger number?

1/2 or 1/4

1/2 correct. A player in top 2 would have a much better chance of winning then in a top 4 cut. This is my point.

iisnumber12 said:
I ask you a question:

Which of the following is a larger number?

1/2 or 1/4

1/2 correct. A player in top 2 would have a much better chance of winning then in a top 4 cut. This is my point.

Wait, hold on, what are you even trying to prove? Also, that isn't perfectly true because the person in Top 2 is almost certainly better than the person in Top 4.

alexmf2 said:
Wait, hold on, what are you even trying to prove? Also, that isn't perfectly true because the person in Top 2 is certainly better than the person in Top 4.

In top 4, you're against 3 people.
In top 2, you're against 1 person.

What I'm trying to prove is that playing a deck with bad matchups or isn't extremely consistent, such as CMT, isn't as good of a play for big tournaments. Zekeels is super consistent and has decent matchups around the board, so that's why it did better in regionals.

iisnumber12 said:
In top 4, you're against 3 people.
In top 2, you're against 1 person.

What I'm trying to prove is that playing a deck with bad matchups or isn't extremely consistent, such as CMT, isn't as good of a play for big tournaments. Zekeels is super consistent and has decent matchups around the board, so that's why it did better in regionals.

...And it would do just as good in a smaller tournament. Why wouldn't it?

P.S. CMT is pretty darn consistent.

alexmf2 said:
...And it would do just as good in a smaller tournament. Why wouldn't it?

Because, you need much more consistent decks in large tournaments where as you can play a deck that lacks a few counter cards in smaller ones.

Back