Boy Scouts going downhill?

I forgot boy scouts existed, what with all the horror stories/parodies about girl scouts being spawns of the devil and whatnot....

DNA said:
Lies and I know it. There's very little that I don't know concerning the current affairs of Boy Scouts right now.
Unless you consider 'Pathfinding' to be like a video game (I don't).

Like Tristan said, you need to know swimming to an extent, and the last required bit is the BSA Swimmer Test (which is swimming 100 yards, 75 breaststroke and 25 backstroke), which, if you set your mind to it, is not all that difficult. Swimming merit badge is optional (I got Cycling myself, but all three in that group are very hard), but, if you like to swim, go for it.
Yup that is the swim test and don't you have to do some life saving for something in those req I just failed the swim test at flaming arrow hottest camp on earth and are you going to the 100th thing in July?

T

It's 1st Class 9c or something, you have to rescue someone 30 feet out in deep water.
As for the 100th anniversary thing...no, I'm not, sorry. I think there's some sort of age requirement for it anyway, which I don't fit into.

That's a belt loop, not a merit badge. That is earned by Cub Scouts, not Boy Scouts.
...read...m0ar...pl0x...

Setzer (Harry) said:
That being said, if they are going to continue making badges for things like "Video Games" (actual badge now), then yes I doubt it will last another 100 years.

Dear God.....
That's horrible. Boy Scouts and video games should never mix. The whole point of being in Boy Scouts is to get off your butt and go do something active with your friends...

Again, sad.

EspeonROX said:
MylesPrower said:
Why is it ridiculous that learning to swim is a requirement? That's a very valuable and important life skill. I learned to swim with my Boy Scouts troop, and I'm really glad I did.

I agree. Boy Scouts' motto is indeed, "Be prepared." Boy Scouts trains you to be ready for anything that may happen ahead of you. Maintaining good health is one, making good decisions is another, and I guess swimming helps as well. Survival skills are important. Life is an adventure, and you can run into anything. You're not gonna sit home all day, right?

I quit Boy Scouts, but this was due to time constraints with other activities. It all depends on the troop. Whoever mentioned this is correct, because the vigor and the desire of your group will, in the long run, decide how far you go into climbing the ranks. Find a different troop. The Boy Scouts should teach independence, and this is a time you need to stand up for yourself.

I agree with this post. I am a Boy Scout (currently Second Class, almost First Class), and I love it. The experience depends on the Troop, as others have said. Mine is active and has over half of the troop at every event.

P.S. Video Games is not a Merit Badge for Boy Scouts. It is a belt loop only earned by Cub Scouts.

DNA said:
That's a belt loop, not a merit badge. That is earned by Cub Scouts, not Boy Scouts.
...read...m0ar...pl0x...
guys, I already said this

dood, cubscouts was totallt fail when I was in it 8 years ago.

I read the manual and it was all "be a nice kid and do crafts and do usefull things. WOLVES!"

when all we did was sit around having badges handed to us for no reason and singing.

LORDY JONES said:
dood, cubscouts was totallt fail when I was in it 8 years ago.

I read the manual and it was all "be a nice kid and do crafts and do usefull things. WOLVES!"

when all we did was sit around having badges handed to us for no reason and singing.

Sounds like you went to the Hippy Convention.

That is not how it is supposed to be run but it all depends on the leader

T

Back