Buffer Piece

Do you think Buffer Piece will be used?

• Total voters

Blue Thunder

so long!
The other day (before PoTF scans were up, mind you) I was wondering about how big of an impact Buffer Piece would make in today's format, especially since nowadays most decks just try to hit the 130 number in 2 hits. Buffer Piece would require some decks to put more effort into a 2HKO.

Now that we do know that Buffer Piece is reprinted, do you think Buffer Piece could potentially be seen in decks? Please back-up your statement, though.

I think it will be played in a good number of decks. Consider how many decks play Pluspower, and Crobat G. How can one survive these cards? Buffer Piece.

I'm sure it could be, but the only major major deck I see it almost exclusively being played is Rampardos. 40 instantly becomes 20, and that severely cuts Rampardos's short time seeing play to now being on the field much longer.

dmaster out.

^Yes, but Dialga G Lv.X must be in play. Look at Ramps' Poke Body again.

I think so, depending on how the format changes. We have many hard hitters, such as Rayquaza C Lv.X and Ramps. It'll work if your meta becomes a hard hitting meta.

d master342 said:
I'm sure it could be, but the only major major deck I see it almost exclusively being played is Rampardos. 40 instantly becomes 20, and that severely cuts Rampardos's short time seeing play to now being on the field much longer.

dmaster out.
Iron Skull is a rather pesky useful Body for Rampardos itself. Buffer Piece would be useless both for and against Rampardos.

If anything, Buffer Piece just makes heavy hitters more popular, and SP Pokemon less, due to most of them dealing so little damage or requring so much energy to deal more damage.

But I prefer Defender. It's no tool.

I think it could be, but over all, I am not sure how amazing it will really be untill people start making decks that have it in there. Over all, I think it will be but, live and learn.

There are defensive decks popping up and enhanced with the next few sets, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Buffer Piece slipping in to a fair few of those. Imagine that POTF Swampert, who already gets reduced damage from SP's, equipped with a Buffer Piece.
I'm VERY happy with Buffer Piece. Adding a bit more defense to the game doesn't hurt a bit, and to be frank, I'd love to see more cards like Kingdra Ex from Dragon Frontiers - cards that make a swarm reduce damage (I just loved Kingdra Ex Swarm). The pace needs to be dropped slightly, and while Ramparados does have the ways to crash right through it, its not the most stable decktype around.

Zyflair said:
Iron Skull is a rather pesky Body for Rampardos itself. Buffer Piece would be useless both for and against Rampardos.
But I prefer Defender. It's no tool.

If you read the text, Iron Skull says that Rampardos' attacks aren't affected by "blah blah" on the Defending Pokemon. Plus power is 10 more damage to the Active Pokemon. Buffer piece would still work, I think. If, during lashback, Rampardos was the Defending Pokemon then there would be no reason for Plus Power's wording on "Active" Pokemon.

If you see what I'm trying to say. Maybe I'm wrong.

Ugh... who was it that got me confused on this issue? Oh yeah...

Gliscor said:
^Yes, but Dialga G Lv.X must be in play. Look at Ramps' Poke Body again.
YOU should re-read the card. The Body only flies through the effect on the Defending Pokemon...

EDIT: But does it really matter? I doubt Rampardos needs a Buffer Piece.

Yes, on the defending Pokemon. You're not your own Defending Pokemon. The Defending Pokemon is defined as "Your opponent's active Pokemon during your attack" (as per the rulebook).

And also....

400TH POST! W00T!!!!1!111!!!

Regardless, Buffer Piece only prevents damage done by your opponent's attacks, so... yeah...

Aaaahhh I see. Good point. So then it's pretty much useless in Rampardos.

Yeah, I forgot what Buffer Piece did. Too bad it doesn't reduce the backlash. Then it would work if it did. -0- Otherwise, maybe in a Tool deck, but nothing more.

dmaster out.

^^ Well it could be teched in but I don't think you could run anymore than 2...

If it can be teched in Rampardos, it could be teched in any deck, and quite frankly, it's not good enough to be in any deck. Wailord, Bastiodon, tank decks, all would love it though.

dmaster out.

Fax said:
^^ Well it could be teched in but I don't think you could run anymore than 2...
Heck, why run Buffer Piece in a Rampy deck at all? Potion does close to the same thing, but it can stack and is not dependent on your opponent actually attacking it (like Warp Point, making that Buffer Piece useless). You wouldn't run Potion in a Rampy deck, so why bother with Buffer Piece?

I miss the Kingdra Delta EX swarm. Buffer piece was a good tool for it then.

Back