Card sleeves

cApNhOwDy

Pokeymans?
Looking to get an idea of what kind of card sleeves other players use. I picked up Dragon Shields based on the look and feel compared to the other options my local shop had. They do the job, but if better options exist then I'm open to try them. I've used the sleeves that they hand out at pre-releases, not my cup of tea. This thread is open to suggestions.

Aside from cardsleeves with potentially offensive material on them, and sleeves that could lead to cheating, what are some characteristics of sleeves that aren't allowed at tournaments?

cApNhOwDy said:
Looking to get an idea of what kind of card sleeves other players use. I picked up Dragon Shields based on the look and feel compared to the other options my local shop had. They do the job, but if better options exist then I'm open to try them. I've used the sleeves that they hand out at pre-releases, not my cup of tea. This thread is open to suggestions.

Aside from cardsleeves with potentially offensive material on them, and sleeves that could lead to cheating, what are some characteristics of sleeves that aren't allowed at tournaments?

I bought black dragon shields at nats 2 or 3 years ago and I had to resleeve because they said they were reflective and made me buy other sleeves from a vendor right by registration. IMO, the sleeves I was forced (or play with no sleeves) to buy from them were more reflective than the dragon shields. Even told them, well, these seem to be reflective too but it's what I was told to get....

actually, some of the best sleeves have been the PR sleeves...but mainly only the Blue Lucario DP PR Sleeves, and most of the sleeves from LA on...not only do they give you the right amount for you deck, but they tend to hold up pretty well...at least mine has...the Japanese pokemon sleeves, like the Pokeball and the outlined Pokemon ones, tend to work pretty good as well...currently my favorites are the Professor Pokeball Sleeves, the feel of them are superb and they don't tend to bunch together like with alot of other sleeves

I used to use Dragon Shields for my DBZ/GT decks, and they were ok, it made the deck about 10% thicker so it was harder to fit them into deck boxes (decks were from 50-90 cards, with most decks running the full amount)...but Dragon Shields held up better than most Ultra-Pro sleeves...however, they weren't perfect

things to look for when buying sleeves, you have to make sure that when you purchase sleeves, if they aren't the full 60ct. for the deck, that multiple packs of sleeves don't have any differences between the packs...like the Blue Regigigas sleeves that Ultra-Pro came out with right around Worlds...you also have to make sure that the sleeves aren't reflective

i love the new arceus sleeves, they are so thin and nice to shuffle

Make sure your sleeves are in good shape. I was forced to spend 10$ on new sleeves because one little card in my deck had a little bent corner. Dragon Sheid usually holds up fairly well. Judges at big-time events can get picky, so I'd reccomend always carrying backup sleeves.

I currently use two kinds of sleeves: the Lucario ones from Diamond and Pearl Prereleases, and Japanese Shaymin sleeves. The DP Lucario sleeves are very nice in my opinion. They're strong, and not very flimsy like MT and SW. However, the corners can get a little bent. I'm OCD about that kind of stuff. Japanese sleeves tend to be of better quality IMHO. The feel of the Shaymin sleeves are AMAZING! They're so sleek, and don't make the deck too much thicker.

However, I've used sleeves that are REALLY shiny before, and they've let me use them at Nats a couple years ago. :p I mentioned Organizers allowed me to use those sleeves during City tournaments, as well as States and Battle Roads.

EspeonROX said:
I currently use two kinds of sleeves: the Lucario ones from Diamond and Pearl Prereleases, and Japanese Shaymin sleeves. The DP Lucario sleeves are very nice in my opinion. They're strong, and not very flimsy like MT and SW. However, the corners can get a little bent. I'm OCD about that kind of stuff. Japanese sleeves tend to be of better quality IMHO. The feel of the Shaymin sleeves are AMAZING! They're so sleek, and don't make the deck too much thicker.

However, I've used sleeves that are REALLY shiny before, and they've let me use them at Nats a couple years ago. :p I mentioned Organizers allowed me to use those sleeves during City tournaments, as well as States and Battle Roads.

my Shaymin sleeves' corners bent easier than some of my PR sleeves...I wouldn't say the jap sleeves are of better quality, but they are better than some of the older PR sleeves (SW, MT, MD), and even a couple of the later PR sleeves (SF, SV)

Oh, really? Wow. Mine are in near-mint condition! XP I'm really careful with them. But anyhow, those PR sleeves, (MD, SW, MT) peel easily. Like in half. It's frustrating! From LA-on, they've been better.

EspeonROX said:
Oh, really? Wow. Mine are in near-mint condition! XP I'm really careful with them. But anyhow, those PR sleeves, (MD, SW, MT) peel easily. Like in half. It's frustrating! From LA-on, they've been better.

yea, they have been better, but for some reason the SV sleeves peeled real easy on the corners too, and the SF sleeves just went to shabby condition a lil' too fast for me

The SV Prerelease sleeves are some of the worst. They're the easiest to peel. RR and AR are so far the best of the latest bunch.

dmaster out.

The entire back peeled off of one of my Garchomp sleeves mid-game... that was extremely annoying. DP 'Cario sleeves are by far the best I've ever used.

dmaster said:
The SV Prerelease sleeves are some of the worst. They're the easiest to peel. RR and AR are so far the best of the latest bunch.

dmaster out.

esperante said:
The entire back peeled off of one of my Garchomp sleeves mid-game... that was extremely annoying. DP 'Cario sleeves are by far the best I've ever used.

yea, that is crazy how easily they peel...I don't understand why though, they seem to be made no different than the LA, SF, PT, RR, and PA sleeves

the best sleeves I've used so far, have been between the professor pokeball sleeves and these purple pokeball sleeves I have...I have about 3 other sets of pokeball sleeves that I have yet to use, hopefully they're as good as the purple ones...the japanese outlined sleeves aren't bad though, I just think the corners bend too easy, the ones I'm currently using now are the red giratina and the green shaymin, but I have the blue arceus ones, but haven't decided to use them yet

The only sleeves I have are the SV prerelease Garchomp sleeves and some boring red Ultra Pro sleeves. My SV Garchomp ones have held up rather nicely to be honest.. but then again, they're the only prerelease ones I've used, so I have no real comparison. I would say that I am expecting them to rip though, just from the feel. I should get my Arceus sleeves next time I go to Pokémon League, if they've been delivered yet, and I'm looking forward to getting them now since everyone's been praising them.

Ok, I use Dragon Shield pink and Nidoking Ultra Pro for events, SF prerelease sleeves are nice, RR are decent, all the MT-MD stink, LA are ok, how are the AR ones?

I really like the Arceus prerelease sleeves. Have held up pretty great so far (a lot more so than SV sleeves) and I really dig the color scheme. I dunno something about the cambridge blue (i think that might be it) and silver is really nice to me.

Though I depending on how much I shuffle my deck I dont think I'd be relying on them for more than a month or two.

The way that some people shuffle their decks really have a lot to do with how sleeves hold up. Sadly though, people always seem to blame the sleeve quality. The only PR sleeves that I noticed were really bad were the MD and GE ones. Any of the silver backed ones were pretty bad, but those were the worst.

I use the Black Pokeball Professor sleeves and the Japanese Blue Arceus sleeves. Those are definitely two good sleeves if you have the money to buy them. If you want to get more easily obtainable sleeves, Rising Rivals and Diamond and Pearl definitely have the best sleeves offered at a Pre-Release based on my own experiences with them. SV sleeves are just ugh .-. So much time spent re-sleeving because of those stupid Garchomps. MD lasted me a while as well, but they're not the best.

dmaster said:

dmaster out.

definitely, i have some RR pre-release sleeves,they work wonders,litteraly....

Hahaha, well... lets just say when it comes to sleeving my cards I take it pretty seriously lol. For complete sets I use Ultra Pro 18 card sleeves and then for holos I put a smaller sleeve inside the big one for more protection. If it is an ultra rare card like my Base Set Shadowless Charizard or my Charizard ex, I use a hard shell case, and two smaller sleeves to make sure nothing happens! ^_^
WP

Back