Card Types

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Why is it that Fairy and Dragon have their own types now? I think Dragon should go back to being colourless and Fairy should change to Grass (as it has similar weaknesses/things which resist it).

That or just give the remaining types their OWN card type, as it makes no sense for over half of all types to have their own energy types, as the remaining seven or so DON'T right now.

It isn't something we have any input on. Dragons come in a variety of types in the video game as do fairies. I believe this is a contributing factor to them having their own type.

You'll have a very different resistances and weaknesses on many Pokemon if they did that. Many flying Pokemon have resistance to fighting. If Fighting were to be split into Fighting, Rock, and Ground, those Pokemon would be weak to Rock save a couple that really aren't and possibly resistant to ground instead because flying is immune to ground. I think they try and group types based on what is similar which is why you don't have bug being its own type.

I think Dragon is particularly good as a new card due to its multiple energy mechanic. Personally, I don't feel Fairy would make sense under [G]. Water types commonly have a [G] weakness, and Fairy has nothing to do with that.

One of the biggest points for addition of Dragon type was they didn't want really strong "epic" dragon pokemon like Garchomp/Salamence etc to be weak to bidoofs simply because they were Colorless type weak to Colorless.

Not sure why dragon ultimately got its own type. All I can say is that it took until generation 3 to even have enough dragons to bother considering making them that way though it wouldn't be until gen 5 that they actually took that plunge. But despite its own typing they use two different current energy types (not counting colorless) and until the introduction of fairies were only weak to themselves.

Fairies were likewise introduced this generation and only had a handful of Pokémon to add or convert into fairy types along with new ones. I can't see them placing fairy types as grass or whatever. Besides, we have fairy types like the Gardevoir line, Wigglytuff line, and Clefable line (as examples) that would technically have had to have their color schemed in TCG altered one way or another bar the Whimsicott line.

Now let's take a step back and consider flying types. They've been around since generation 1. Every flying type from the Pidgeot line onward would in theory require new ones made for them. Consider the rate that fairies have been released (relatively quickly all things considered but we still lack some alternates, two of which we may get in the new set) or dragons (still missing a few). It would take forever to get all flying types or similar numbered ones like bug altered. There are types like ghost or ice that might not have that long of a conversion rate though.

To do all that though there would either have to be types deliberately excluded from sets or larger sets, which would I think make them more expensive. Factor in eighteen types that may or may not ever intersect in terms of weakness/resistance and I think it comes down to minimizing complications, relatively speaking.

You'll have a very different resistances and weaknesses on many Pokemon if they did that. Many flying Pokemon have resistance to fighting. If Fighting were to be split into Fighting, Rock, and Ground, those Pokemon would be weak to Rock save a couple that really aren't and possibly resistant to ground instead because flying is immune to ground. I think they try and group types based on what is similar which is why you don't have bug being its own type.
But Fairy and Grass are very similar on the types which resist them front, plus a shared weakness.

Shared weakness: Poison
Shared types which resist them: Steel, Fire and Poison

As for Bug...

Shared strengths: Dark
Shared types which resist them: Steel, Fire and Poison

So since they share the same things which resist them, it makes little since for Fairy to be its own type.

Fairy was very likely made a new type for marketing, pure and simple, the same way that Dark and Steel both got new types when those types were introduced in Gen. 2. If you have a new and shiny addition to your game, you're certainly going to promote it as much as possible, especially if it's a big deal like a new type (which is rather rare), or something incredibly new like Mega Evolution.

Fairy was very likely made a new type for marketing, pure and simple, the same way that Dark and Steel both got new types when those types were introduced in Gen. 2. If you have a new and shiny addition to your game, you're certainly going to promote it as much as possible, especially if it's a big deal like a new type (which is rather rare), or something incredibly new like Mega Evolution.
Still, since most types have their own type in the TCG by now, they should just go all the way.

If there were card types for every in-game type, the game would become bloated and terrible. They have to draw a line somewhere. Right now it's not so bad because a lot of types have their own niche, so to speak, but it would really bog the game down to add a lot more types.

Why is it that Fairy and Dragon have their own types now? I think Dragon should go back to being colourless and Fairy should change to Grass (as it has similar weaknesses/things which resist it).

That or just give the remaining types their OWN card type, as it makes no sense for over half of all types to have their own energy types, as the remaining seven or so DON'T right now.

There has been a bit of a boom in the Pokemon TCG in my University with all the new dragons released. And what better way to counteract the fierce new dragons than with elegant new fairy types? Seems like a very smart tactic, 2 birds with one stone. The dragon type has always been a fan favorite and the fairy type adds a touch of freshness to the TCG. It is better this way, although I'll be honest and say the fairy typing has caused me a lot of problems what with the steel weakness - a type I have never used before, it's forced me to get more involved in the TCG.

Adding the plethora of other types is null, not only will it cause disruption in the game, it's not so much an addition than a complete reform and I can easily say many players will not like that.

But it's still weird.

Types which are shared:
Grass/Bug
Water/Ice
Psychic/Poison/Ghost
Fighting/Ground/Rock
Normal/Flying

Types which are unique:
Fire
Electric
Dark
Steel
Dragon
Fairy

I'd rather Dragon and Fairy types get merged into Legendary.

But it's still weird.

Types which are shared:
Grass/Bug
Water/Ice
Psychic/Poison/Ghost
Fighting/Ground/Rock
Normal/Flying

Types which are unique:
Fire
Electric
Dark
Steel
Dragon
Fairy

I'd rather Dragon and Fairy types get merged into Legendary.

But, Dragon and Fairy types are polar opposites :confused:

I like that Fairy is a unique type. It increases the desire to use Steel types to counter, which is woefully under-represented.

I just started playing the TCG with the XY series, and I was confused at first as to why every type was not available. With some thought, I realized that if all types were were in the game, the match ups would be much more varied, and weakness/resistance would rarely come into play simply due to the odds of two particular types facing each other.

Weakness and resistance is a huge part of the video game. The number of types in the TCG is streamlined to ensure that it actually comes into play.

Nowadays Dragons are like... very countered.
There are really good Dragon cards like Kingdra, M-Rayquaza, DragoniteDelta, etc. But they are unusable because of Fairies, Fairy decks hit very hard, M-Gardies do 30x per Fairy energy attached to all of your Pokémon, or 60x if Dragon, everything gets 1HKO with 4 energies and they are really easy to get; with Florges it does 20x per Grass or Fairy Pokémon you have in play, or 40x if Dragon, now it's harder to 1HKO, but still does a lot of damage, you only need to stack Fairies with the new stadium and do lots of damage and just need 6 Pokémon with Florges or 5 with a Muscle.
I'd really like to see some Dragons with other weaknesses, for example the new Reshiram we got is weak to Fairy, while it's not, Dragalge the promo was also weak and so was M-CharizardX EX, that's unfair.

One thing I can say is that if they were to have all types, they would have to turn around and increase the number of a Pokémon's Weakness and Resistance which might be kind of interesting. That would however probably make the cards look rather convoluted.

One thing I can say is that if they were to have all types, they would have to turn around and increase the number of a Pokémon's Weakness and Resistance which might be kind of interesting. That would however probably make the cards look rather convoluted.
There have already been cards w/ 2 weaknesses and resistances (not sure about three). Although almost all steels would be very hard to include their resistance.

Back