Choice bro

NidoJosh

Fiat Lux
ChoiceBro.png
*Banner made by yours truly. Check out my Art Thread to see some more work here ;)
Advertisements aside.. onto the team

____________________________________________________________________________________
Introduction
____________________________________________________________________________________​
Hey guys this is my first RMT for the 5th Generation.
I have been experimenting a bit and found reasonable success with this team.
I am in no way a good battler. I am still trying to get a feel for the metagame and such.
So I believe that my lacking ability has lead to this team not being as successful as it could be.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Team Building Process
____________________________________________________________________________________​
Ok so this team was not specially put together, analyzing each others weaknesses as such. I wanted to put in pokemon that I knew were good and change when I see some weren't pulling their weight.

I wanted to create a team centered around one of the most feared physical attackers in the metagame; that pokemon being Scizor.
212.gif

I knew that in order for Scizor to pull off a successful sweep, hazards would need to be employed. So my choice came to the ever present physical wall - Skarmory.
212.gif
227.gif

So continuing on the defensive side, I brought in one of the pros. A pokemon that has taken to fame this generation after being left behind in previous generations to her sister. Chansey adds defensive structure to the special side of the spectrum.

212.gif
227.gif
113.gif

So now I thought a scarfer would come in handy - to finish off some weakened threats, reducing Scizor's problems a bit more. I chose to use Nidoking due to his coverage capabilities and being able to absorb toxic spikes is always nice.

212.gif
227.gif
113.gif
034.gif

I thought Scizor would need a brother to help take care of the other side of the spectrum. Latios came to mind, more specifically his Choice Specs set. This set eliminates physically bulky pokemon and can severely injure walls with trick.

212.gif
227.gif
113.gif
034.gif
381.gif

Now I had one spot left over. As many people say, this is the hardest slot to fill. I thought a reliable spinblocker could come in handy, and well their really was only one choice to fill that in my mind. So then came Jellicent to the fray.

212.gif
227.gif
113.gif
034.gif
381.gif
593.gif

So now was time for the testing. After a few games, I was going well ok-ish. I realised that hazards were annoying me and I made the decision to swap out Skarmory for Foretress. Foretress has the ability to lay down hazards as well as being a great spinner.

212.gif
205.gif
113.gif
034.gif
381.gif
593.gif

Jellicent wasn't working out for me. He didn't last very long and I would have preferred it if he did. So I was looking for other options and saw Slowbro. While I lost the spin blocking ability, I found a new love in Slowbro's ability to last long and annoy the opposition's physical sweepers.

212.gif
205.gif
113.gif
034.gif
381.gif
080.gif

So this team worked much better. But still has problems to date.

The Team
212.gif
205.gif
113.gif
034.gif
381.gif
080.gif

205.gif
@ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Alright so Forretress normally opens in the battle. I would immediately lay down Stealth Rock and then act accordingly to what my opponent does. Sometimes I may lay down some spikes but I don't like risking my spinner so early on.

This set is self explanatory. Rapid Spin to eliminate hazards which would otherwise slowly weaken my team's viability. Stealth Rock and Spikes for my own hazards support and gyro ball as a viable mean for an attacking option. I was considering replacing gyro ball with volt switch but gyro ball has actually saved me a few times. I would love some opinions on this matter.

381.gif
@ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Well here is my man, Latios. He serves to destroy physical walls and can eliminate pretty much any pokemon with the coverage gained from this set. Draco Meteor has devastating power when accompanied with Choice Specs. Surf is great hitting pokemon like Tyranitar and Gliscor while Hidden Power Fire rounds off the attacking moves, smashing steels like Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Trick allows me to completely screw over opposing pokemon such as Chansey, Blissey, Skarmory etc.

EVs allow for maximum damage and speed outputs as well as adding to the bulk. I was really thinking whether to go with the Choice Scarf or Specs but chose Specs in the end for the amazing damage. This is why Chansey is so important to allow Latios to outspeed opposing dragons and other threats.

080.gif
@ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Ahh Slowbro, simply an amazing pokemon. With his Regenerator ability and Slack Off, my opponents always have trouble to take him down. Scald allows me to potentially cripple physical attackers as well as dealing decent damage. Flamethrower hits opposing steels and grass types trying to take him down.
EV's allow for maximum bulkiness on the physical side and allow for a tiny bit more oomph in his attacks.

034.gif
@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Well my favourite pokemon ever has risen this generation due to his new ability in Sheer Force. With the Choice Scarf, Nidoking can outspeed many pokemon and still hits like a truck due to Sheer Force. Earth Power is an amazingly awesome STAB move, coupled with the infamous BoltBeam combo and Fire Blast, Nidoking gets amazing coverage.
EV's allow for maximum damage and speed output as well as a little bit more bulk.

113.gif
@ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Chansey is an amazingly awesome Pokemon, causing many rage quits. Originally she ran Toxic but I felt that Thunderwave would assist me the most. Allowing both Scizor and Latias to outspeed pokemon that may outspeed them. Especially in Latias' case to outspeed opposing dragons.

I chose the Cleric set in case Scizor or my other pokemon get burned or paralyzed which would severely ruin my chances in winning the game. Softboiled and Eviolite allow for Chansey to last for ages and cripple as many pokemon as possible. With the addition in Seismic Toss allowing for a means in attacking.

212.gif
@ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break

The main focus of this team. Swords Dance allows Scizor to increase his already powerful attack stat. I sometimes find myself actually throwing him in straight away and getting boosts while my opponent sets up hazards and then continue to sweep their entire team. Bullet Punch as a means of STAB and priority to smash opposing pokemon such as Tyranitar. Most pokemon hate a STAB SD Life Orb Technician boosted Bullet Punch anyway :p Bug Bite to smash opposing Dark, Psychic and Grass type pokemon.

I originally had Roost as well but I never really used it. So I threw in Superpower for some extra coverage in being able to hit opposing Steels such as Heatran and The Zone.
EVs allow for more bulk so Scizor can set up easier and take more hits in general. Some EVs were dumped into his attack stat to put some extra punch in his attacks even with out boosts.

Possible Changes
- I was hoping to add in some Wish Support, mainly for Latios and The King. But I'm not sure about swapping Aromatherapy on Chansey for it :l. Armotherapy has came in handy a lot of times. So I was maybe thinking about adding in Jirachi somewhere. Does anybody have any suggestions?

- Possibly turning this into a SandStorm team? With 3 resists in Forretress, Scizor and Nidoking as well as the Sandstorm damage being able to be restored by Slowbro and Chansey, it may be an ok option. But I don't what to replace and whether it is worth it or not.

I am open to all suggestions as well. So please give me suggestions ^.^

* Changes in Bold

Importable
Edmond (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Gilbert (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Albert (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Marvin (Nidoking) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Helga (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Gregward (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Threats

In Progress

One small change.

You're team seems very offensive. Chansey really clashes with the offensive focus your team has, so I would suggest swapping it.

To get the special walling prowess of Chansey and still have some offensive, consider Latias. With a moveset of Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse, Recover and Roar, Latias' slowly becomes invincible on the special side and hits like a truck. If you don't like the idea of Roar, you can switch it with Hidden Power [Fire] to OHKO Scizor, or Wish, to support the team. For EVs, max out Speed and HP with a Timid nature.

For a first team, this isn't bad. Hope to see you on our Pokemon Online server sometime. :)

I think that your Scizor would appreciate having Brick Break more than Superpower. While Superpower hits harder, the Defense drop is bad for somebody who wants to stay in and use their SD boosts to its full extent, in addition to the removal of half a SD boost each time you use it. Brick Break still has good power at +2, doesn't lower your stats, and can break annoying screens that would normally cripple your sweep.

That's all I see that should be changed right now. However, I only read what you have up, not a threats list, nor did I check to make sure you have no major threats other than what comes to mind. Overall, this is very good for a first PO team.

I have a few quick questions about the team, but i dont have enough time for a full analysis. Why is the team so, split? you have 3 very defensive pokemon, and then 3 very offensive pokemon, and while your offensive pokemon have relative bulk and your defensive pokemon have a fair amount of firepower, it seems very scrapped together. I feel like you should switch roles between scizor and Nidoking:

Nidoking@Life Orb
Sheer Force
Timid
Ev's 4HP/252SpA/252Spd
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

Scizor@Choice Scarf
Technician
Jolly
Ev's 4Def/252Atk/252Spd
- U Turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch/Iron Head.

You may question why BP on a scarfed scizor, and that is because BP is still powerful without a CB or LO, you will still be able to revenge kill many pokemon, which is what scizor is really good for this generation. Not only can you now revenge kill weakened speedy psychics and ghosts, but now you can revenge kill heatran. Personally it just appears to work better with the team. Nidoking will act as a great late game cleaner. with that specs latios, you will be leaving a rather large dent in many many walls. Right now though, there still is a problem. Special walls. You are stopped almost undoubtedly by Blissey and the like. if scizor goes down and latios loses its scarf, you will not be able to rid a blissey, and i can promise you this. That is definitely a flaw in the team itself, although it is fixable. Blissey can be dropped for a pokemon like Snorlax *if you want it to be a normal type special wall of sorts*. Snorlax can run a very awesome CB or curse set which will also be able to absorb starmie and heatran assaults. Another great option would be a Substitute Machamp, with Dynamicpunch, Stone Edge, and your choice of filler, preferably Ice Punch to nail Breloom. if you go with ice punch, you can drop DP for Focus Punch and essentially run the subpunch set. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Peachy said:
One small change.

You're team seems very offensive. Chansey really clashes with the offensive focus your team has, so I would suggest swapping it.

To get the special walling prowess of Chansey and still have some offensive, consider Latias. With a moveset of Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse, Recover and Roar, Latias' slowly becomes invincible on the special side and hits like a truck. If you don't like the idea of Roar, you can switch it with Hidden Power [Fire] to OHKO Scizor, or Wish, to support the team. For EVs, max out Speed and HP with a Timid nature.

For a first team, this isn't bad. Hope to see you on our Pokemon Online server sometime. :)

Haha well it isn't my first team but one of my firsts for this gen :3
But is it worth having Latias AND Latios on the same team o_O
If I was to put Latias on the team who would you recommend I swap in for Latios?
Thanks for this I have tried Latias on other teams and she is a great asset to any team ;)

Or else would Reuniclus also be a viable option o_O?

Cinesra said:
I think that your Scizor would appreciate having Brick Break more than Superpower. While Superpower hits harder, the Defense drop is bad for somebody who wants to stay in and use their SD boosts to its full extent, in addition to the removal of half a SD boost each time you use it. Brick Break still has good power at +2, doesn't lower your stats, and can break annoying screens that would normally cripple your sweep.

That's all I see that should be changed right now. However, I only read what you have up, not a threats list, nor did I check to make sure you have no major threats other than what comes to mind. Overall, this is very good for a first PO team.

Haha cheers mate.
Will definitely swap that in when I get the chance.
The threats list is on the way :3

Bravo said:
I have a few quick questions about the team, but i don't have enough time for a full analysis. Why is the team so, split? you have 3 very defensive pokemon, and then 3 very offensive pokemon, and while your offensive pokemon have relative bulk and your defensive pokemon have a fair amount of firepower, it seems very scrapped together. I feel like you should switch roles between scizor and Nidoking:

Nidoking@Life Orb
Sheer Force
Timid
Ev's 4HP/252SpA/252Spd
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

Scizor@Choice Scarf
Technician
Jolly
Ev's 4Def/252Atk/252Spd
- U Turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch/Iron Head.

You may question why BP on a scarfed scizor, and that is because BP is still powerful without a CB or LO, you will still be able to revenge kill many pokemon, which is what scizor is really good for this generation. Not only can you now revenge kill weakened speedy psychics and ghosts, but now you can revenge kill heatran. Personally it just appears to work better with the team. Nidoking will act as a great late game cleaner. with that specs latios, you will be leaving a rather large dent in many many walls. Right now though, there still is a problem. Special walls. You are stopped almost undoubtedly by Blissey and the like. if scizor goes down and latios loses its scarf, you will not be able to rid a blissey, and i can promise you this. That is definitely a flaw in the team itself, although it is fixable. Blissey can be dropped for a pokemon like Snorlax *if you want it to be a normal type special wall of sorts*. Snorlax can run a very awesome CB or curse set which will also be able to absorb starmie and heatran assaults. Another great option would be a Substitute Machamp, with Dynamicpunch, Stone Edge, and your choice of filler, preferably Ice Punch to nail Breloom. if you go with ice punch, you can drop DP for Focus Punch and essentially run the subpunch set. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Hey thanks for the awesome response mate.
I guess I just need some tutoring or something because the team to be honest was very scrapped together as I said in my Team Building Stage.
I still have a lot to learn :3.

The Nidoking set looks amazing and I will definitely try it out.
But I'm not too sure on Scizor at the moment.
I'll have to try it out and see how it goes.
Thanks for the suggestions on that aspect of my team!

I think I'll start off with Snorlax at the moment.
Given Chansey's role in my team.
Would you say that the Curselax set would better fit this team's needs?
With that Scizor set he no longer setting up, would it be a perfect opportunity to use Snorlax to set up?

Again thanks for all the responses guys!
I'll be sure to keep testing and posting how it goes!

NidoJosh said:
Haha well it isn't my first team but one of my firsts for this gen :3
But is it worth having Latias AND Latios on the same team o_O
If I was to put Latias on the team who would you recommend I swap in for Latios?
Thanks for this I have tried Latias on other teams and she is a great asset to any team ;)

Or else would Reuniclus also be a viable option o_O?

Its certainly doable, and its quite effective too. Choice Latios weakens stuff and then Latias finishes them off.

If we were going to do that, there would be a couple of changes.

The first would be switching Slowbro for Physically Defensive Rotom-W, which is this set:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This gives you a solid Landorus check, which you currently lack. It offers phenomenal synergy with Scizor, from both an offensive and defensive point. Between Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp, Rotom-W can live for a long time. Volt Switch is also great with Forretress' ability to lay hazards.

The second is switching Nidoking for Choice Scarf Terrakion, which looks like this:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide/Sacred Sword/Quick Attack

Terrakion gives you much more speed than Nidoking does, as well as another physical attacker. With your current team, if Scizor goes down and the opponent has a Blissey, you're basically doomed. The last attack is more filler than anything else, you'll never really use it anyways. With having two dark weak Pokemon, Terrakion can sometimes find itself gaining a Justified boost, which makes it very scary (basically gives it a Choice Band boost ^.^).

Peachy said:
Its certainly doable, and its quite effective too. Choice Latios weakens stuff and then Latias finishes them off.

If we were going to do that, there would be a couple of changes.

The first would be switching Slowbro for Physically Defensive Rotom-W, which is this set:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This gives you a solid Landorus check, which you currently lack. It offers phenomenal synergy with Scizor, from both an offensive and defensive point. Between Pain Split and Will-O-Wisp, Rotom-W can live for a long time. Volt Switch is also great with Forretress' ability to lay hazards.

The second is switching Nidoking for Choice Scarf Terrakion, which looks like this:

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-X-Scissor
-Rock Slide/Sacred Sword/Quick Attack

Terrakion gives you much more speed than Nidoking does, as well as another physical attacker. With your current team, if Scizor goes down and the opponent has a Blissey, you're basically doomed. The last attack is more filler than anything else, you'll never really use it anyways. With having two dark weak Pokemon, Terrakion can sometimes find itself gaining a Justified boost, which makes it very scary (basically gives it a Choice Band boost ^.^).

Thanks I've been mainly trying out this strategy
But I can't get it to work :(
I win sometimes but I still lose a lot :(
I'm such a fail battler T.T

Back