Company Using X-Rays to Identify Foil Cards in Sealed Pokemon TCG Products: An Interview with Industrial Inspection

Food for thought though. CT scans are basically x-rays and whatnot etc. Doesn't using an xray leave behind radiation exposure etc? So if a seller, say, at Collectacon, says they have a $10k booster box that is unscanned, isn't there a machine that can pick up residual radiation from CT scans? Could that be used potentially against "unscanned" scammers? Or is there a way to get rid of traces of radiation? Asking for a friend of course
I work with X-rays machines on a daily basis and that's not how it works.

I'll try to keep it simple: A CT-scanner works by creating X-rays which are fired in a specific direction onto a detector which the computer converts into images. X-Rays have a certain amount of energy set by the technician which will get completely absorbed (which is why there's lead in the walls in the radiology department) in material before they're stopped. You can think of it like light concentrated on a small piece, light switch on = light, off = no light, there's no residual light.

(To have lingering radiation you would need a source of radiation that keeps emitting radioactive particles by decaying, which would be a massive health hazard and very illegal)

…What does AI art have to do with using CT scans for cards??? These are two wholly separate things. And it doesn’t even sound like people like the scanning stuff happening.
How do you people not see this will be used for scamming people?! Are you people are braid dead?

Yeah... no, as far as the vintage market goes this'll either make even more of a walled garden for the rich and famous or tank it completely.

As far as using this on modern packs is concerned this is just abhorrent, it'll make sets with extremely desirable cards like a secret rare card that much harder to find. If TPCi is smart about this (and really doubt they will be) they'll ditch the aluminum-lined film they're currently using in their packs and switch to a film that's opaque to x-ray devices like these. Although I'd much rather see them put something into the pack sleeves that could actually damage these machines if they're scanned, that would really send a message.

Don't mind them, they're just a contrarian who's only looking to start arguments.
Why the fudge do you like my post and post like this? This is a valid argument! You people hate gen ai for art for whatever reason but you are fine with literally scanning packs for the best cards? This is literally the evolution of pack weighing. It doesnt matter it most cant do it. The issue is for people looking to get into the hobby thinking they may have good packs when they were scanned by bad actors.

if you're playing vintage formats, singles and the occasional "proxy" are the way to go.

If you're collecting vintage products, this won't stop you.

If you're trying to profit from vintage products, then screw you.

Back