Creatures Disqualifies Six Entries from 2024’s PTCG Illustrator Contest, Adds Six New Artists!

Also following up, the two other entrants that seem to be using AI that Ive seen others point out are Amber Zeigler (Eevee entry) and Weihang Ye (two entries for Pikachu)
With the eevee, theres some haphazard/nonsensical shapes around the flowers of the bottom right (looks like they were meant to be parts of flowers but said flower wasnt fully rendered)
And with the pikachus, the one sleeping by the tree looks fine, but if you look at the back leg of the one asleep on the cloud , the anatomy is very… Awkward.
Not to mention DARA's Pikachu with 3 stripes on its back.

Got the mascot wrong and wasn't even disqualified lol.

Wouldn't people who use macbooks have to be disqualified too wouldn't that be considered using AI and also whats the big deal, did the guy just literally say "make me a picture of Pikachu in a battle" and it randomly created the image he submitted?

What's even the point of them adding replacement art into the contest? It's not like this is a fan vote, and obviously the six new pieces have no chance to win when they already didn't make the initial top 300 cut.

Wouldn't people who use macbooks have to be disqualified too wouldn't that be considered using AI and also whats the big deal, did the guy just literally say "make me a picture of Pikachu in a battle" and it randomly created the image he submitted?
I'm fine with that, people who support Apple should face penalties for supporting Apple.

Awfully defensive of AI here...
Like LightYearLiam said, lots of people who are rightfully against AI end up turning it into a witch hunt and wrongly accusing real artists of using AI. The pseudo-realistic style commonly associated with AI is a consequence of AI being trained on real artists using that style; also, real artists sometimes make wonky mistakes in their creations. Trying to identify AI art is a really tricky line to walk, and you gotta have compelling evidence before you throw the claim around and harm someone's livelihood.

Like LightYearLiam said, lots of people who are rightfully against AI end up turning it into a witch hunt and wrongly accusing real artists of using AI. The pseudo-realistic style commonly associated with AI is a consequence of AI being trained on real artists using that style; also, real artists sometimes make wonky mistakes in their creations. Trying to identify AI art is a really tricky line to walk, and you gotta have compelling evidence before you throw the claim around and harm someone's livelihood.
Then they should use a more interesting less realistic style. Honestly, skill issue

Yippee they finally fixed the A.I problem....

I really love the Melmetal & Koraidon art...

Same basis everyone suspected the ones that were removed. I'm beginning to think if the names weren't the same nobody would know.
I fear you're correct. There's a handful of other entries still in the pot that reek of common telltale AI signs. I'm glad they removed the ones they did, but they need to go through entries with a much finer toothed comb if they want their contests to survive with real artists in the future...

I fear you're correct. There's a handful of other entries still in the pot that reek of common telltale AI signs. I'm glad they removed the ones they did, but they need to go through entries with a much finer toothed comb if they want their contests to survive with real artists in the future...
Why not just ban digital art altogether? Not one traditional artist is in the top 300.

Why not just ban digital art altogether? Not one traditional artist is in the top 300.
Why would they do that? There's nothing wrong with digital art on its own, there's still just as much work involved as there is with traditional art. It's just a different set of tools to use. I'd be shocked if most of the official TCG artists weren't already using digital art programs like CSP or Photoshop lol

That being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to explore different entry categories in the future. One for juniors, one for traditional mediums, and one for digital art (barring genAI, of course) would be a good place to start

Why would they do that? There's nothing wrong with digital art on its own, there's still just as much work involved as there is with traditional art. It's just a different set of tools to use. I'd be shocked if most of the official TCG artists weren't already using digital art programs like CSP or Photoshop lol

That being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to explore different entry categories in the future. One for juniors, one for traditional mediums, and one for digital art (barring genAI, of course) would be a good place to start
The thing no one is talking about is there were no traditional artist in the top 300, which is the purest form if human art but no fuss over it when all spots were "stolen" by computers. Sure it has input and all that but not nearly as much. I started life as a traditional artist so it pains me to see people born as digital artist not get they themselves took the job of a "real" artist using machines. Being a traditional artist humbled me because I never knew how much simply getting the supplies and spending time drawing gatekept millions of people but with digital art and stronger computers being the norm, it acted like a type of DEI that got those people drawing and now with a faster pace world, art can be made faster without as much input. Its the next stage and Im for sure glad to see more stuff being made. Art is art as far as Im concern.

The thing no one is talking about is there were no traditional artist in the top 300, which is the purest form if human art but no fuss over it when all spots were "stolen" by computers. Sure it has input and all that but not nearly as much. I started life as a traditional artist so it pains me to see people born as digital artist not get they themselves took the job of a "real" artist using machines. Being a traditional artist humbled me because I never knew how much simply getting the supplies and spending time drawing gatekept millions of people but with digital art and stronger computers being the norm, it acted like a type of DEI that got those people drawing and now with a faster pace world, art can be made faster without as much input. Its the next stage and Im for sure glad to see more stuff being made. Art is art as far as Im concern.
It does have just as much input as traditional art, speaking from experience in both. I won't deny there are tools in digital art that can make it somewhat easier or faster than traditional, but if you don't have the same foundational skills that make you successful in traditional art, you're not going to fare much better in a digital medium than on paper.

I do get what you're trying to say and I'm not trying to spur an argument with you, just to be clear. I just wanted to throw that out there, because it still requires FAR more effort and skill than telling an AI what you want to see. I do wish there were more traditional images chosen. I saw that cool felted Flygon entry and I'm a little sad it got robbed twice 🥲

You sure about that because it does look like there are some that were done traditionally. Aside from that it doesn't really matter if they weren't done traditionally as long as they were done by a human because the computer is a tool to help an artist or as an AI is just a tool to help a poser

You sure about that because it does look like there are some that were done traditionally. Aside from that it doesn't really matter if they weren't done traditionally as long as they were done by a human because the computer is a tool to help an artist or as an AI is just a tool to help a poser
Why the ad hom? Gen AI was also made by humans? Your point?

I'm glad they got rid of the AI arts. You can't submit an artwork without having done any actual work on it. It's just lazy. The people who actually drew and worked on their creations deserve to be in the contest.

Why the ad hom? Gen AI was also made by humans? Your point?
I think you have very low standards for what's good art if you think the computer can do anything good let alone well. Anyway insulting you is because you are a pro AI person and I think that you're the worst of the worst. The only people worse than you are fascists

I think you have very low standards for what's good art if you think the computer can do anything good let alone well. Anyway insulting you is because you are a pro AI person and I think that you're the worst of the worst. The only people worse than you are fascists
I feel like you arent living in reality. We use computers for everything.

Back