Crystal Guardians & Holo/Reverse Holo Patterns in Cards

airsoft246

Aspiring Trainer
I'm currently trying to collect Crystal Guardians and Im not sure which holos are which. There are some holos of pokemon not officially listed as holo (my 70/100 wingull) and then there are gold worded ones with the same kind of holo design as before. Then finally I have one that's a more decorative holo, my 10/100 Sableye, with no gold words. Which are officially holo? What is CG's reverse holo? why does my 70/100 common have a holo design?

Pikachu6319

Scooby
RE: Help understanding Crystal Guardians

Cards like that 70/100 Wingull are the reverse holo style that was going on at that point in time in the ccg for commons and uncommons. Those gold lettered ones are the reverse holos for rare cards and normal holos like Sableye. This lasted until DP if I remember right. The link below is the card list of Crystal Guardians, which will tell you what is naturally holo, the first thirteen cards of the set. This excludes the theme deck exclusive holos, those are #28 Venusaur, #27 Swampert, and #14 Blastoise

http://pokebeach.com/tcg/ex-crystal-guardians/scans

airsoft246

Aspiring Trainer

So for the holos, the 1st 13, is the holo the one without gold lettering or with?

Pikachu6319

Scooby

The ones you want are the ones without the gold lettering. The ones with the gold lettering are reverse holos.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
I don't know exactly when it started, but it was sometime in the EX era. My own collection of cards from this time is pitiful at best, but my earliest gold lettered RH rare is from EX Deoxys.It stopped sometime before D/P, probably at the end of the EX era.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
The reverse holo thing like your Wingull started in EX Fire Red Leaf Green, those were holo with foil pokeballs in the middle of the text. From EX Team Rocket Returns until EX Power Keepers they adapted the style on your Wingull and the gold lettering on the reverse holo rares and holo counterparts. This ended when the Diamond/Pearl era ended.

airsoft246

Aspiring Trainer
ok thanks Pikachu6319. Just to clarify, EXFRLG = first time RH of regular cards has a holo picture (but the rares also just have a holo picture? different holo design maybe?) and then the very next set EXTRR has RH of regular cards as a holo picture + RH/Gold lettering of rares, and they do that for all of them all the way to EXPK? if so, that would means its the end of the Ruby&Sapphire era then right?

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Acutally I messed up a little, EX Hidden Legends did something a bit different. All of their reverse holos had this kind of look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Masquerain-Hidden-Legends-20-101-Reverse-Holo-Rare-NM-/380820455547?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item58aaab007b#ht_232wt_875

EXFRLG had their reverse holos as holographic, and the normal holos that were reverse holo looked like this example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-CARD-EX-FIRE-RED-LEAF-GREEN-REVERSE-HOLO-CLOYSTER-20-112-NM-/141215064401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e112e151#ht_604wt_1113 This is a rare card as reverse holo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Card-Fire-Red-Leaf-Green-12-112-RAICHU-Reverse-Holo-NM-Mint-/321345622001?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item4ad1b10ff1#ht_110wt_875 This is a reverse holo version of a normal holo.

Then from EX Team Rocket Returns until Power Keepers uncommons and commons looked like your 70/100 Wingull except of course with the proper set on the card. The reverse holo versions of rares and normal rares had the gold lettering and holo picture on them.

Despite the change in design, the Ruby Sapphire Era was from EX Ruby Sapphire to EX Power Keepers. The sets before FRLG (which for the record was Ruby &Sapphire, Sandstorm, Dragon, Team Aqua and Team Magma) just simply had their reverse holos pretty much like they do now.