Dear Pokebeach: Quit using the phrase "auto loss"

AmishEskimoNinja

Hating durant since 11/16/11
This has REALLY been bothering me for a while. Just because a deck has a slight advantage over another deck doesn't mean its an auto-loss. SP beats GeChamp sometimes. Donphan beats Gyrados sometimes. Even a swarm of shuckle could beat a well built T1 deck under the right circumstances. Pokemon has a large amount of randomness to it. That's what makes it fun. You don't know what you'll draw or what you'll flip till it happens. No matchup is an autoloss. Ever.

RE: Dear Pokebeach: Quit using the phraise "auto loss"

The term autoloss, kind of refers more to a well played game. Yeah, once Gyra gets going Phan isn't going to win.

Yeah, I agree. There is only 1 example of an "auto loss". Otherwise, its never over til the last card is played.

Cheezy line yes. Accurate, yes.

While I agree with you, was a thread really nessisary?

shadoworganoid said:
While I agree with you, was a thread really nessisary?

Its easier than adding my opinion every time I see it said.

Silverwarrior said:
So Shuppet Donk can beat Dialga G?

If Shuppet goes second and they start out with something like a Crobat G, then yes.

Or Palkia Lock can win against Gardy/Gallade?

If the Gardylade keeps getting dead draws, yes.

Like AEM said, it all depends on what you draw/do.

Let me give you an example of something that happened to me at Cities. I was playing DialgaChomp...

I start uxie, attach, and pass.
He pulls a shuppet with a belt. Game.

No such thing as an autoloss.

Anyone who starts with Uxie can loose in a single turn.

My point is a standard hand from both decks would mean a loss for Shuppet(in this case) vs Dialga G.

And most people refer to "auto-loss" in terms meaning Deck set-up vs. Deck set-up. If a Donphan Deck sets up and has Donphan out while playing against LuxChomp, then it's a very long day for the LuxChomp player.

An autoloss is more of a term during a well played game, IMO. For example, Donphan isn't necessarily and autoloss to Gyarados. The only way Donphan can beat Gyarados is if they donk the Sableye, or you have three Magikarp and an Azelf prized (that. was. a. horrible. experience.) But through a well played game, Gyarados would almost always win, so that's where autoloss comes in. I guess it's just an exaggeration.

Gliscor said:
An autoloss is more of a term during a well played game, IMO. For example, Donphan isn't necessarily and autoloss to Gyarados. The only way Donphan can beat Gyarados is if they donk the Sableye, or you have three Magikarp and an Azelf prized (that. was. a. horrible. experience.) But through a well played game, Gyarados would almost always win, so that's where autoloss comes in. I guess it's just an exaggeration.

But if its a "well played game" the term auto-loss wouldn't apply Think about what the words mean. Automatic loss. What you're saying is that after both players set up, the deck with the advantage will win. But thats not automatic at all. You need the information that the deck with the advantage got set up. And since that is never assured, a win is never automatic.

Have you heard of stereotypes? They're a simple general expression to make things simpler which are not always true, such as:
-Truck drivers have dirty mouths.
-Asians are smart.
-Americans tend to be fat.

The term "autoloss" is simply a stereotypical term that just says the situation is extraordinarily favorable to one deck and generally, that deck will always win. Of course it's not automatic, but the term is used to simplify the case.

And since you can't defeat stereotypes, I suggest you might as well spend your time elsewhere rather than arguing.

EDIT: A 20-80 matchup might as well be considered an autoloss because in practical terms, no one wants to play those odds.

i've won plenty of games vs. GG with palkiachomp...

nothing is ever an AUTO-loss, but come on, a lot of things are pretty reasonable. there are a number of decks that i've absolutely NEVER lost a game to donphan with, and the same goes with other archtypes as well. under pretty much any conditions, an sp deck without a counter is going to lose to a deck that plays 2-1/2-2 mewtwo.

Zyflair said:
Have you heard of stereotypes? They're a simple general expression to make things simpler which are not always true, such as:
-Asians are smart.

The term "autoloss" is simply a stereotypical term that just says the situation is extraordinarily favorable to one deck and generally, that deck will always win. Of course it's not automatic, but the term is used to simplify the case.

And since you can't defeat stereotypes, I suggest you might as well spend your time elsewhere rather than arguing.

EDIT: A 20-80 matchup might as well be considered an autoloss because in practical terms, no one wants to play those odds.
The best reply anyone could possibly give about autoloss....i think that settles it,and autoloss is generally used to refer to losses which occur when both decks are at full strength/setup etc.So yes autolosses are there unless you are extremely lucky :p

im just glad most pokemon players (so far) arent like some stupid brawl player that call themselves competetive heres what i quoted from a guy on youtube and its apart of my signiture on frinedcodes.com

"No, I'm saying that tiers don't exist, and that it all depends on the player's skill. Skilled players that play as Yoshi have a chance against equally skilled players as Fox. It all depends on the player's skill, and the character (s)he is more suited for. Tournament results cannot be used to rank characters, as tournaments are tests of the player, not the character"-vadernes (from youtube)

which is true pre-judging is so dumb

Zyflair said:
-Asians are smart.

But that's exactly what I'm getting at. Stereotypes, along with the term auto-loss are used by narrow minded people who are too stubborn to realize that people (and decks) aren't all the same. Just because Donphan is weak to gyrados doesn't mean that a donphan deck can't use techs to make the matchup more favorable.

That's what you were getting at? To be honest, that wasn't the impression I got when reading your posts.

Moving that point aside, even "open-minded" people use stereotypes, and if you dare to flat out deny that you don't use them, then you'll just seem delusional in public.

And have you ever wondered why the term is called stereoTYPICAL?

Regardless of how the deck is built and who plays it (and I have no idea why you should even care about the player. A losses caused from misplays has nothing to do with objective matchups), the fact is that there is an advantage. So you use techs to make yourself less vulnerable, but at what point do you hamper the main focus of the deck? From personal opinion, never focus so much on the weakness of the deck and mainly the strong points. If that doesn't work, then your deck choice is wrong.

Why prevent an "autoloss" when you can make your chances of winning higher against other decks?

this thread has an autoloss to its metgame, which is us the pokebeach users

Please be more clear and relevant with your posts.
~Zyflair

Back