Deck Discussion #10: Gallade 4

Do you think Gallade 4 has potential in the format?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Thunder

so long!
As I said in Deck Discussion 9, this Deck Discussion was not up to the voters, as I had one more deck that I wanted to see in a Deck Discussion, that being Gallade 4.

As I promised, the voting feature is now back. You can now starting sending me PMs to tell me which deck you would like to discuss next. The deck that gets the most requests will be the one I choose for the next one, which will be posted on Monday, July 27th. Do note that these Deck Discussions will now be posted on a weekly basis, rather than bi-weekly!

A new feature with this Deck Discussion is that there is a poll. It just basically asks what your overall opinion of the deck is.

Anyway, onto the deck:

Gallade 4 (Rising Rivals) and its Level X (Rising Rivals) are two of the top spread cards out in the format. Starting with the regular Gallade, we note that it can do 20 to the Active Pokemon and 10 spread to anything with damage already on it. This attack costs 1 energy and an Energy Gain (Platinum) to use it, so it can be charged up quickly. You may not spread when you first play down Gallade 4, but the spread will be there soon, allowing you to further the spread with this attack. Gallade 4 also has an attack that does 50 for 3, or 2 and an Energy Gain. This is not a very good attack, and your better off using the first attack or the Level X's attack. The Level X is where things get interesting. When you Level-Up your active Gallade 4, you get to do an automatic 10 spread, just like that. See the synergy with Gallade 4's first attack? Finally, Gallade 4 LV. X has an attack that cleans up the spread mess, called Aimed Cut. This attack starts off at 40 for 2 energy and an Energy Gain, but the damage increases by 10 for each damage counter on the Defending Pokemon. You only need a 50 prior spread to OHKO just about anything. Considering how fast Gallade's Power and Gallade's Chop Up (the first attack I told you about) can add up to 50, you can get OHKOs in no time.

Common Gallade partners include Raichu GL (Rising Rivals) Honchkrow G (Platinum) and Palkia G (Platinum). Raichu GL allows you to do up to 80 for 1 and an Energy Gain, assuming your opponent has a full Bench and they all have damage on it. Honchkrow G can snipe off Basics weakened from the spread. A previous 30 spread means Uxie is dead, while a 40 spread means you can snipe Claydol and Crobat Gs away. Palkia G allows for a further spread, and with the Level X you can also abuse cards like Mesprit (Legends Awakened) to put a lockdown on your opponent. Finally, Palkia G can dish out a big, 80 snipe to anything on the field, which could be game turner. However, Palkia has to discard a few energy to use this attack. A must have tech in this deck is Dialga G LV. X (Platinum), who can ruin Pokemon who mess up your spread, like Manectric (Platinum) and Nidoqueen. (Rising Rivals) An interesting thing to note is that a Gallade/Honchkrow/Dialga deck took 2nd place in the Seniors division, which shows that this deck does have potential to win.

In this and any deck discussion thread, the idea is to discuss the deck's possible techs, how it fares in the metagame, what Tier it is in, its counters, a good decklist for the deck, or just discussing the deck in general.

For the more recent previous deck discussions, please click on the links below. Some of the very old ones will not be listed because the last post is dated more than 2 weeks ago. To get to these threads, you may have to click one of the links, and then click a link inside that thread.

DD9: GG/Plox: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=57806
DD8: Tyranitar: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=57592
DD7: Speedrill: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=57424 (Note: This thread is closed, but can be used for viewing purposes.)
DD6: Flygon: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=57272

Now...onto the discussion!

What makes it good is that it is not just like regular spreaders where they can only spread and cant hit something active for alot of damage but gallade has this in his level x's attack which really makes it good.

BDIF. this card is just soo awesome. spread is definitely NOT the way to go, this format has too much poketurn, nidoqueen, and many others that hurt spread. the best way to go is to get a T2-3 blade storm than chop up. then you just keep using aimed cut a bunch. you can usually use crobat G and poketurn for a big KO on anything, with 5 damage counters on defending pokemon you get 140 damage, 4 will =120, and then 3 (which is really easy to get), will get you 100 damage which is a KO on most things.

dragon master112 said:
this is not worth it, he looses to queen, wich is a big tech right now

Dialga G LV. X ruins Nidoqueen, which any good Gallade 4 carries. When Queen attacks it is a problem....but 3 energy is kind of big...and I can always have a Palkia or something of that nature after Gallade.

Gallade/Dialga is a pretty decent deck. Dialga locks Trainers and Stadiums while the Lv.X stops the Bodies and Gallade spreads so you can Second Strike easier. I do like many variations with this card, but I find that version to be the best possible. I fear it will probably not make Top cuts at Worlds. Possibly in Seniors though...

dmaster out.

Gallade is also decsent with electrode and raichu GL they help spred a lot.

OMG oops he already said raichu..<---dont listen to me PSH.

ineffective compared to numerous other good decks in the format.

Luxape, Beedrill, Gengar/Nidoqueen, Legos...

^i play gallade. i have a VERY POSITIVE matchup against all of those :p. yes, even gengar/queen. flygon is probably the only thing for gallade to fear, and it has to be a pretty good flygon deck in that case. gengar/queen and luxape (2 of the biggest decks out there) can be easily countered depending on what techs you run, and seeing as it's an SP deck, and psychic type at that (bunch of great psychic techs). you can win pretty much any matchup.

elekid957 said:
^I play gallade. I have a VERY POSITIVE matchup against all of those :p. yes, even gengar/queen. flygon is probably the only thing for gallade to fear, and it has to be a pretty good flygon deck in that case. gengar/queen and luxape (2 of the biggest decks out there) can be easily countered depending on what techs you run, and seeing as it's an SP deck, and psychic type at that (bunch of great psychic techs). you can win pretty much any matchup.

Unless you're playing it some super secret way that nobody else in the world has been able to figure out, then it's seriously not as good of a deck as you're making it out to be. It's not a BAD deck by any means, I have a friend who top cut 2 BR's with Gallade/Dialga with techs, but that was majorly because of good matchups, and he lost both top cuts to Gengar/Nidoqueen.

It's not BDIF, but it's good. It got 2nd in seniors at nats. I used Dialga/Gallade/Krow and went 6-2 in swiss, both losses coming from somewhat weird situations. I'm not even going to say how bad my luck was in top 128...

So ya... it's a really good deck. Anyone who thinks that Nidoqueen does anything against it is a fool. I beat every Gengar Nidoqueen I played against with ease.

esperante said:
elekid957 said:
^I play gallade. I have a VERY POSITIVE matchup against all of those :p. yes, even gengar/queen. flygon is probably the only thing for gallade to fear, and it has to be a pretty good flygon deck in that case. gengar/queen and luxape (2 of the biggest decks out there) can be easily countered depending on what techs you run, and seeing as it's an SP deck, and psychic type at that (bunch of great psychic techs). you can win pretty much any matchup.

Unless you're playing it some super secret way that nobody else in the world has been able to figure out, then it's seriously not as good of a deck as you're making it out to be. It's not a BAD deck by any means, I have a friend who top cut 2 BR's with Gallade/Dialga with techs, but that was majorly because of good matchups, and he lost both top cuts to Gengar/Nidoqueen.

not gonna go into deep argument, but gengar/queen isn't as hard as people make it out to be. i've played it about 8-9 times and i'm about 7-2 against it, and it got a consistent T2-3 gengar and claydols.

Back