Ruling Devolving Lvl X

poleskitty

Ewe's not Faat, Ewe's Flaafy
In light of the new Omastar and a lot more devolving entering the format, I have a question when a Lvl X is devolved:

Say Infernape Lvl X is sitting on the bench and my Omastar MD comes into play a devolves me. Clearly Infernape is now Monferno, but what happens to both the regular and the Lvl X, do they both go up into my hand or does the normal go up into my hand and the Lvl X goes into my discard as its attachment requirement has gone away.

I thought at somepoint I read it was the Lvl X went in the discard, but later it was ruled they both went up into the hand. I can't find it in the Compendium though. If there's a reference there that would be useful tool.

Thx

Rulebook said:
If an effect removes the highest Stage Evolution card from a Pokémon LV. X, Pokémon LV.X is not considered an evolution card. Instead, you would remove the earlier evolution that the Pokémon LV.X is on top of, and then remove the Pokémon LV.X as it no longer matches the requirements for being played.

Here is an example:

Compendium said:
Q. If I use Dialga's "Flash Cannon" to attack my opponent's Infernape LV.X, what happens?
A. Dialga's Flash Cannon attack would remove the highest Stage Evolution card, in this case, the regular Infernape. You would also remove Infernape LV.X too since the Pokémon is no longer an Infernape. The LV.X goes wherever the Stage 2 goes. (Diamond & Pearl FAQ; May 31, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

The Level X and the card underneath it in play are effectively considered a single card for all game purposes. If something removes the underlying Pokemon card from play, the Level X goes wherever it goes.

So if something discards the highest stage Evolution card, the Level X is discarded as well. If the Evolution card is sent to your hand, the Level X also goes into your hand.

The lv. x is not an evelution card even though it acts like one. It is basically an attatchement. So, to make sure this is simple both cards that have the same name as the lv. x go.

Back