• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Doin' The Whip (Ferrothorn / Team Aqua's Muk / Bronzong)

Plasma Dragon

Until the end of time
BKP = BREAK Point (if someone knows the actual abbreviation please let me know thanks!)
Pokémon: 16

• 3 Ferrothorn (BKP)
  • 3 Ferroseed (BKP)
  • 4 Team Aqua's Muk (DCR)
  • 4 Team Aqua's Grimer (DCR)
  • 2 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Shauna
  • 1 Bridgette
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 3 Trainers Mail
  • 2 EXP Share
  • 2 Startling Megaphone
  • 3 Team Aqua's Secret Base
  • 1 Silent Lab
Energy: 10
  • 6 Metal Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

The strategy here is very strait forward, to set up as many Muks as possible and use Ferrothorns Spike Whip to do 10 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokemon times the number of [C] in their Retreat Cost. So the damage cap to each Pokemon is 30 + 10 + retreat cost that Pokemon already had = 40-80 damage to each Pokemon your opponent controls. The 30 damage is ffom the Muks, each Muk has an ability called Sludge Festival which makes all Pokemon on the field that are not Team Aqua Pokemon have +1 retreat cost and the 10 damage is from Team Aqua's Secret Base which is essentially Another Muk. On the subject of setup Bridgette allows us to search and put on to our Bench 3 non-EX Basic Pokemon (or 1 Basic EX Pokemon which we have non of in this deck.) Battle Compressor is in here for discarding Supporters to retrieve using VS Seeker.

And that's about it for the deck. Thank you for looking at my deck list! I would love to hear what you think of this idea/list so please post what you think.

Last edited:
you should run float stone and startling megaphone to get rid of your opponents float stone, cause float stone even with muk/team aqua base is zero retreat and thus no damage done to that pokemon.

also since this deck is about restricting movement by increasing retreat you should run 1-2 lysandre so you can put an active they would prefer not to have active to give you a few extra turns of attacking with that ferrothorn. another thing to consider if you can find space is a 2-2 slowking line, so when you lysandre something up they don't want active you can move the energy slowing them down even more.

you should run float stone and startling megaphone to get rid of your opponents float stone, cause float stone even with muk/team aqua base is zero retreat and thus no damage done to that pokemon.

also since this deck is about restricting movement by increasing retreat you should run 1-2 lysandre so you can put an active they would prefer not to have active to give you a few extra turns of attacking with that ferrothorn. another thing to consider if you can find space is a 2-2 slowking line, so when you lysandre something up they don't want active you can move the energy slowing them down even more.

I like the Float Stone, Startling Megaphone, Lysandre, and Slowking cards but I am not to sure what to take out because I feel like a lot of cards are very useful/necessary for this deck to function and all the cards you mentioned would take a fair bit of room. Do you have any suggestions about what I should take out?

Woooo~ more Retreat Basher.dek. I can comment on those.

The major issue your deck has will be that it lacks speed and consistency. Pressure early game is minimal, and even by the time you set up, damage done isn't particularly amazing considering streaming is difficult. There are also many counters to this deck - Aegislash-EX (if your opponent plays smart by keeping only Aegislash on the field) , Float Stone/Toad, Garbodor, Manaphy-EX, Rough Seas and Max Potion, and anything will a lot of HP in general. Max Potion will be difficult to counter, however the remainder of counters should be kept in mind.

Bronzong would be a logical decision, however I think its inclusion will end up making the deck clunky. For tools, it's not like Hard Charm or Muscle Band are really necessary in the deck. Burst Balloon could be an option, however I think adding copies of EXP. Share could assist in your deck's consistency immensely.

Battle Compressor could be a very nice addition, although I'd remove them over Trainer's Mail if need be. This is because, even without Bronzong, you can throw away supporters you don't really need as well as increase the likelihood of a Turn 1 Bridgette, which would be nice.

-2-2 Bronzong (See the paragraph above. Makes space for some other Pokemon that should help your consistency.)
-4 Heavy Ball (Sure, they help in getting out your Stage 1s, but they don't do anything else. You absolutely need to run Ultra Ball in this deck, and you need the space for other options.)
-2 Eco Arm (I feel like these may be a bit too situational. I think you need to focus on the deck's main consistency over tech consistency. Your space is very limited anyway.)
-1 Switch (I'd say swap one out for an Escape Rope, as it gives you at least some form of disruption.)
-1 Team Aqua's Secret Base (For space for Silent Lab so you have a better matchup against Manaphy-EX and Aegislash-EX.)
-4 of any combination of Burst Balloon/Battle Compressor/Trainer's Mail/Teammates (This is to allow space for cards like Lysandre, AZ, Megaphone/Silent Lab. As those I'm suggesting you to remove are all luxury cards, they should go out first. The Burst Balloon and Teammates would be my choice, as they don't contribute to the consistency of the deck much.)

+1-1 Team Aqua's Muk (If you can get all four out (which isn't impossible mind you!), then you'll be much better off, with things like 60 damage to Shaymin-EX.)
+2 Shaymin-EX (You really need the speed, otherwise you're not going to set up in time. You don't want to be benching more than one of these, and if you do, try to get it off the bench ASAP.)
+4 Ultra Ball (Consistency!)
+2 Exp. Share (To stream attackers, a necessity in this deck.)
+1 Escape Rope (As a Switch replacement.)
+1 Lysandre (As trey said, they can be very nice for stalling with in decks unprepared.)
+1 AZ (It's an odd choice, but I think this deck will appreciate this. You can scoop up your Muks and Shaymin with AZ for little to no cost, especially if they get Lysandred up.)
+2 Startling Megaphone (To remove the Float Stone)
+1 Silent Lab (As explained already.)

Other good options:
+1 Float Stone (some more flexibility)
+2 Max Ether (some consistency for late game and perhaps early game)
+1 Exp. Share (more consistency/streaming is good. I'd swap for a Silent Lab, if you choose accept the autoloss of Manaphy-EX, or a AZ/Trainer's Mail/Battle Compressor.)

-2-2 Bronzong (I never even got to try them)
-4 Heavy Ball
-2 Eco Arm
-1 Switch
-1 Team Aqua's Secret Base
-3 Burst Balloon
-1 Teammates

Space: 16 spots

+1-1 Team Aqua's Muk
+2 Shaymin EX (I have mixed feelings with these guys as they boost consistency but they give up 2 prizes, one of the reasons I tried to keep them out of this deck.)
+4 Ultra Ball
+2 EXP. Share (Forgot about this card)
+1 Escape Rope
+1 Lysandre (Love it)
+1 AZ (Great Idea!)
+2 Startling Megaphone (Ran out of room for it in my original list)
+1 Silent Lab (Good addition)

Space: 0 spots

I am definitely going to give this deck a try in the official PTCGO! I might change the deck after trying it a bit.
Thanks @bbninjas! (Your retreat cost attack deck inspired me :D)

Edit: can someone check my lists number of cards. I may have counted wrong or something because I have 2 open spots for some reason. Thanks to whoever does it! (btw I checked 2 time once with a calculator)

Last edited:
+2 Shaymin EX (I have mixed feelings with these guys as they boost consistency but they give up 2 prizes, one of the reasons I tried to keep them out of this deck.)
One of the best skills for you to learn is using Shaymin-EX well so that it adds to your deck, not takes from it. :)

There's definitely 60 there. Check to see you aren't missing something like the Megaphone, Shaymin-EX, Battle Compressor and 1-offs, as they are the easiest to miss.

Perhaps some FUF Beartic could be a good addition as a secondary attacker / a good pokemon for early game pressure / a neat tech?

XY3_EN_22.png

Back