• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Donphan / Trevenant

Shök

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 16

• 3 Phanpy (PLS)
    3 Donphan (PLS)
    3 Phantump
    3 Trevenant
    1 Lucario EX
    1 Keldeo EX
    1 Jirachi EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 36

• 1 Master Ball

1 Bicycle
    1 Evosoda
    4 Float Stone
    3 Muscle Band
    1 Professors Letter
    1 Random Receiver
    1 Roller Skates
    1 Sacred Ash
    1 Startling Megaphone
    1 Switch
    3 Ultra Ball

2 Colress
    4 Korrina
    1 Lysandre
    3 N
    4 Professor Juniper

3 Fighting Stadium
Energy: 8

• 4 Strong Energy
    4 Fighting Energy

Strategy: The idea is to get Donphan and Trevenant out as soon as you can and start hitting with Spinning Turn to retreat into Trevenant for the item lock.

Jirachi EX and Lucario EX are mostly there for support. Lucario is a good beatstick just in case I can't get Donphan out early. It can also get me some extra cards. Jirachi EX can get my supporters out in a pinch. Keldeo is amazing and can give me free retreats for days just in case anything is stuck in the active.

I'll edit this with more of my thoughts on the deck. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Hi Shok!

Its my goal to make this deck archetype as broken as possible for the coming BCR-ON format. (So I have plenty of suggestions but two main ones at the moment)

+2 Escape Ropes

I find that escape rope has saved my bacon in a number of occasions, especially those where my single Keldeo-EX gets prized, or if my opponent manages to get off a, pun intended, "Surprise" Megaphone leaving my active Pokemon derelict with no hope of retreating. In most cases it simply allows you to continue the item lock for another turn, should your opponent try to get momentum back. Of course, you can use it offensively too! A number of times in my playtesting my opponent would push forward their fully charged, lets say Lucario-EX, that they have been charging throughout the item lock and begin just rolling through my other pokemon, one by one. I've had some amount of success by forcing my opponent to switch out of their "last chance EX" pokemon to a less favorable benched pokemon. Again this not only helps you to avoid lethal damage on your Trevenant for a turn or two, preserving your item lock, but it gives you the time you need to ensure that you can charge up your main attacking Donphan to be ready to use its Wreck attack to one shot the aforementioned "last chance EX" pokemon and seal up the victory.

+2 Alternative "Wall" Pokemon

While Trevenant is key strength in the deck, it is also in itself, the biggest flaw of the deck. With 110 HP, and a weakness to dark type pokemon, if your opponent manages to find an answer that can continually one hit KO your Trevenants, your going to be up a creek with no paddle. I've found that Suicune and Sigilyph both can fill that roll very nicely with their Safeguard ability, which prevents damage done to them from your opponents EX pokemon. I've toyed with the idea of Snorlax [PLF] as a waller, running additional Keldeo-EX alongside Max Potions, and even considered running a thin line of Pyroar along side Trevenant. Its hard to tell which will be the best option here, but my point is that without a viable secondary walling pokemon you will find yourself in these situations more often than you would like.

Hope these suggestions help!

Churd said:
Hi Shok!

Its my goal to make this deck archetype as broken as possible for the coming form BCR-ON format. (So I have plenty of suggestions but two main ones at the moment)

+2 Escape Ropes

I find that escape rope has saved my bacon in a number of occasions, especially those where my single Keldeo-EX gets prized, or if my opponent manages to get off a, pun intended, "Surprise" Megaphone leaving my active Pokemon derelict with no hope of retreating. In most cases it simply allows you to continue the item lock for another turn, should your opponent try to get momentum back. Of course, you can use it offensively too! A number of times in my playtesting my opponent would push forward their fully charged, lets say Lucario-EX, that they have been charging throughout the item lock and begin just rolling through my other pokemon, one by one. I've had some amount of success by forcing my opponent to switch out of their "last chance EX" pokemon to a less favorable benched pokemon. Again this not only helps you to avoid lethal damage on your Trevenant for a turn or two, preserving your item lock, but it gives you the time you need to ensure that you can charge up your main attacking Donphan to be ready to use its Wreck attack to one shot the aforementioned "last chance EX" pokemon and seal up the victory.

+2 Alternative "Wall" Pokemon

While Trevenant is key strength in the deck, it is also in itself, the biggest flaw of the deck. With 110 HP, and a weakness to dark type pokemon, if your opponent manages to find an answer that can continually one hit KO your Trevenants, your going to be up a creek with no paddle. I've found that Suicune and Sigilyph both can fill that roll very nicely with their Safeguard ability, which prevents damage done to them from your opponents EX pokemon. I've toyed with the idea of Snorlax [PLF] as a waller, running additional Keldeo-EX alongside Max Potions, and even considered running a thin line of Pyroar along side Trevenant. Its hard to tell which will be the best option here, but my point is that without a viable secondary walling pokemon you will find yourself in these situations more often than you would like.

Hope these suggestions help!

Hello and thank you for the excellent suggestions!

Regarding the Escape Rope, I know exactly where you're coming from. There's been a couple of times where my Keldeo gets prized and I have to play the game without him. It's really unfortunate. Ha ha. Pulling something up from my opponents bench is also pretty nice. Especially when they just have a single Pokemon on the bench. Free Lysandre. I will definitely consider 1/2 Escape Ropes. :p

I actually have Sigilyph in my build. Don't know why I didn't add him. Ha ha. He definitely works in this deck. Spinning Turn into Sigilyph or just stall with him in case I don't have anything else. Great choice, in my opinion.

It's a decent list but there are something that I'm not so sure on.

-1 Master Ball. Why? This A-Spec slot should be put into better use.
-1 Roller Skates. Are you really going to trust a flip to get you more cards? I don't think so.
-1 Random Receiver. You need more Supporters. Simple.
-1 Jirachi EX. It's basically a big two prize Pokemon that wants to taken out.
-1 Keldeo EX. What's the point? Your goal should be using Donphan and Spinning Turn into Trevanant.

+1 Computer Search/Dowsing Machine. Take your pick. The reason is that you need more searching power or give you an avenue to get whatever you want from the discard pile. Choose one or the other depending on what you feel like.
+1 Bicycle. Never underestimate the situation where you might need to Bicycle.
+1 N. N is good for disruption and something you should note too!
+1 Phanphy. What happens if 1 to 3 are prized? Then what? Having 4 makes certain that you'll at least hit one Phanphy.
+1 Lucario EX. Can't hurt to have more of him. After all, two energy to draw 6 may help a lot.

Toro googleo said:

-1 Roller Skates. Are you really going to trust a flip to get you more cards? I don't think so.
-1 Keldeo EX. What's the point? Your goal should be using Donphan and Spinning Turn into Trevanant.

+1 Computer Search/Dowsing Machine. Take your pick. The reason is that you need more searching power or give you an avenue to get whatever you want from the discard pile. Choose one or the other depending on what you feel like.
+1 Phanphy. What happens if 1 to 3 are prized? Then what? Having 4 makes certain that you'll at least hit one Phanphy.
+1 Lucario EX. Can't hurt to have more of him. After all, two energy to draw 6 may help a lot.

Hello!

Master Ball: I don't actually own a better Ace Spec IRL. Ha ha. I would definitely prefer to run Computer Search/Dowsing Machine.

Roller Skates: I still have to fix the list, but I do plan on running more Skates. It's proved to come in handy a lot of times after I have used my supporter, etc.

Random Receiver: This one is kinda just in there, at the moment. I plan to take it out for something else, for sure.

Jirachi EX: Since I don't own a better Ace Spec, Master Ball into Jirachi is pretty good. Ha ha. I agree, it can be an easy two prizes. However, getting that supporter when you need it the most has proved to be worth it.

Keldeo EX: This one is simple. If I do have Lucario EX, Sigilyph, or Trevenant stuck in the active, Keldeo does an amazing job at saving everything. Also, sometimes I don't like committing too many tools on the field cause of the threat of a Megaphone, so having a sole Float Stone on Keldeo helps out a lot. Also, early game Rush In tanking helps out while I build my Donphan/Trevenant.

Other than that, I agree with all your other adds. I will definitely keep testing. Thanks for the suggestions!

@ Toro googleo: The Keldeo-EX is there for a number of reasons:

1) It saves your Active pokemon should it get put to sleep or paralyzed.

2) If your walling pokemon gets knocked out, which is enevitable, you don't lose your precious Float Stone.

3) In certain circumstances, Keldeo-EX can take a hit for a turn when you are between Trevenant.

Shök said:
Toro googleo said:

Hello!

Master Ball: I don't actually own a better Ace Spec IRL. Ha ha. I would definitely prefer to run Computer Search/Dowsing Machine.

Roller Skates: I still have to fix the list, but I do plan on running more Skates. It's proved to come in handy a lot of times after I have used my supporter, etc.

Random Receiver: This one is kinda just in there, at the moment. I plan to take it out for something else, for sure.

Jirachi EX: Since I don't own a better Ace Spec, Master Ball into Jirachi is pretty good. Ha ha. I agree, it can be an easy two prizes. However, getting that supporter when you need it the most has proved to be worth it.

Keldeo EX: This one is simple. If I do have Lucario EX, Sigilyph, or Trevenant stuck in the active, Keldeo does an amazing job at saving everything. Also, sometimes I don't like committing too many tools on the field cause of the threat of a Megaphone, so having a sole Float Stone on Keldeo helps out a lot. Also, early game Rush In tanking helps out while I build my Donphan/Trevenant.

Other than that, I agree with all your other adds. I will definitely keep testing. Thanks for the suggestions!

I agree with your pointers which is good that you've clarified why you went into those choice. Anyway, I'd think I'd better make my point about Keldeo in the next statement below with the quote added.

Churd said:
@ Toro googleo: The Keldeo-EX is there for a number of reasons:

1) It saves your Active pokemon should it get put to sleep or paralyzed.

2) If your walling pokemon gets knocked out, which is enevitable, you don't lose your precious Float Stone.

3) In certain circumstances, Keldeo-EX can take a hit for a turn when you are between Trevenant.

All very good points about Keldeo which is great and something I can understand. However, there are certain factors that you and Churd need to understand.

1) Garbodor is going to be everywhere. In light of Lucario EX and Seismitoad EX, you will see a lot of decks incorporating Garbodor after this rotation for BCR-FUF. I do agree that Keldeo is a welcome addition but for me, it'll be worth more to use an Item then Dousing Machine for that item instead. Also, a lot of players using Garbodor will either make sure they keep one Float Stone for Garbodor when you've scrapped their first or make sure Keldeo goes down. Which would you prefer?

2) You will lose your Float Stone regardless. Either through knockout or by Startling Megaphone. Simple. You can argue that you save one additional tool by having Keldeo but in this case and given above, I'd be more safer if I put in an additional switching card to do so.

3) Not necessarily. Some of the better players will be able to run alternative strategies to get around your deck. That's the point of the TCG, thinking steps ahead of the opponent. So assuming this, I wouldn't send Keldeo out as that's practically a misplay there. The opponent could easily Lysandre/Catcher your Trevenant out and bam. Alternatively, kill Donphan. That is the reason why I'm thinking more towards an Item rather than Keldeo which will take up a slot that you cannot afford to.

Toro googleo said:
All very good points about Keldeo which is great and something I can understand. However, there are certain factors that you and Churd need to understand.

1) Garbodor is going to be everywhere. In light of Lucario EX and Seismitoad EX, you will see a lot of decks incorporating Garbodor after this rotation for BCR-FUF. I do agree that Keldeo is a welcome addition but for me, it'll be worth more to use an Item then Dousing Machine for that item instead. Also, a lot of players using Garbodor will either make sure they keep one Float Stone for Garbodor when you've scrapped their first or make sure Keldeo goes down. Which would you prefer?

Yes, Garbodor will be everywhere, and yes it presents a fundamental threat to many of the things this deck archetype is trying to do, however I feel that having your Keldeo-EX's ability shut off is the least of your worries at that point, and is something that you would just naturally play around should it happen. (On a side note: I would like to say that it is delightfully ironic when you can get a turn two item lock going, which prevents your opponent from attaching the pokemon tool they need to activate their Garbodor's ability.)

Toro googleo said:
2) You will lose your Float Stone regardless. Either through knockout or by Startling Megaphone. Simple. You can argue that you save one additional tool by having Keldeo but in this case and given above, I'd be more safer if I put in an additional switching card to do so.

The version of the deck I have been playing lately runs 4 Float Stone and 2 Escape Rope, in addition to Dowsing Machine and Keldeo-EX.

Toro googleo said:
3) Not necessarily. Some of the better players will be able to run alternative strategies to get around your deck. That's the point of the TCG, thinking steps ahead of the opponent. So assuming this, I wouldn't send Keldeo out as that's practically a misplay there. The opponent could easily Lysandre/Catcher your Trevenant out and bam. Alternatively, kill Donphan. That is the reason why I'm thinking more towards an Item rather than Keldeo which will take up a slot that you cannot afford to.

Using Keldo-EX as a tank is VERY risky, I agree. But as a player I would not attempt to do so unless A) I had no other choice or B) It was a sure bet. I also play a single Max Potion in the deck such that if I do attempt to tank with the Keldeo-EX , I can heal it up right away.

Moving on to the real discussion here, what does Lysandre do for my opponent?
1) Breaks the item lock for a single turn.
I usually see this move out of desperation. My opponent wants to play their trainers so bad, they Lysandre my Trevenant away just to play the trainers in their hand. Sometimes its the Tool they needed to activate Garbodor, sometimes its just a flurry of items such as Ultra Balls, Bicycles, Hypnotoxic Lazers, Startling Megaphones, etc. Not too much lost here, resume the lock next turn and keep attacking while patching any holes they tried to put in your strategy.

2) Targets down one of my benched pokemon
It should go without saying that the deck cannot "function" without a Donphan in play. Not having a Donphan in play will prevent you from making progress towards winning the game, certainly, but will not immediately cause you to lose the game. I've been in situations where my opponent did manage to snipe my only Donphan and I was forced to stall the game behind a Suicune/Trevenent for two turns while I got Donphan back online.

Going further, when playing this deck, you just have to know that your opponent is eventually going Lysandre out your Donphan. Its just something that is going to happen. On average, I would assume that my opponent is playing two Lysandres in their deck with an optional third if they are playing Dowsing Machine. In most games I am comfortably able to get two Donphans on the board, so, losing one of them is not a tragedy. Should I lose a Donphan, a Korrina for a Phanphy and an Evo Soda or Ultra Ball will get you another backup Donphan a turn later.

When playing against Genesect's Red Signal, however, the threat of losing all your Donphan is much more real. Should they be able to use Red Signal two or three times in a very short window, they can really do some damage, especially if they play Beartic FRF. This is essentially a dream scenario for your opponent and is a match you were probably not destined to win. Ideally versus a VirGen player you would hope that the item lock prevents them from finding their precious Plasma Energy fast enough to do any real damage, and bide enough time to build up redundant answers to Genesect.

(On a side note: I've seen some plasma decks be MUCH more concerned that I had Suicune on the field and actively targeted it down instead.)

3) The worst of all, doing 1) and 2) at the same time....
Again, whatever damage they do with their "catcher-like" effect, getting out of the lock or killing a Donphan, its all about how you plan on dealing with the disaster recovery, which I feel that this deck is already prepared to do. If you cant recover, your game is over, if you can, lets do this!

Do you think this deck is really viable in a Bo3, 50-minute match? I definitely like this deck is a single, 30-minute game (e.g., League Challenge); but, I'm not finding the damage output sufficient to be viable in the current, major tournament format. Thoughts?

@ Shok - Have you ever considered incorporating some P energy in order to attack with Trevenant?

TuxedoBlack said:
Do you think this deck is really viable in a Bo3, 50-minute match? I definitely like this deck is a single, 30-minute game (e.g., League Challenge); but, I'm not finding the damage output sufficient to be viable in the current, major tournament format. Thoughts?

@ Shok - Have you ever considered incorporating some P energy in order to attack with Trevenant?

I have not. Ha ha. Only other thing I've considered adding is a Dusknoir line. Thoughts? :p

Dusknoir will help this deck as it can knock out the threats that might go against your deck. E.g. see that Beartic? Goodbye that. Oh, you've got a Suicine? Bye bye after several moves. But then again, where can you fit the line PLUS 3 Rare Candy?

Shök said:
TuxedoBlack said:

I have not. Ha ha. Only other thing I've considered adding is a Dusknoir line. Thoughts? :p
IMO, I would think that Dusknoir would definitely enhance the competitiveness of this deck. At that point though, I'm not sure how the "balance" of the deck would be given the extra cards that would be needed.

. . . . . . . . . . . . 1.5 hours later . . . . . . . . . . . .

The more I've thought about the Dusknoir idea, the more I liked it. So, I just drafted the following deck core Poké:

• 3 Donphan
    1 Dusclops
    2 Dusknoir
    2 Duskull
    4 Phanpy
    3 Phantump
    3 Trevenant
I am not a big fan of certain tech EXs; for I just view them as having limited value and a huge, bench-warming, 2-prize targets. Also, I plan to incorporate a few P and DC energy in order to utilize Trevenant's Tree Slam attack in order to get more damage counters into play.

Thoughts?

I like the Poke lineup and the idea of using Tree Slam. Anything in particular you want to add regarding the trainers?

My draft includes the following:

• 3 Bicycle - works very nicely with Korrina
    2 Colress
    1 Computer Search - seems to work better vs. Dowsing Machine or Scramble Switch
    1 Energy Retrieval
    2 Float Stone
    3 Korrina
    1 Lysandre
    3 Muscle Band
    4 N
    1 Pal Pad
    1 Pokemon Fan Club - finding this Supporter to be quite useful when you need to "swarm" Basics onto the bench
    3 Professor Juniper - personal prefernce when running Korrina too
    1 Professor's Letter
    2 Rare Candy
    1 Sacred Ash
    2 Ultra Ball
Also, my energy mix is currently:

• 2 Double Colorless
    3 Fighting
    3 Psychic
    3 Strong

Additional cards still under consideration:

• Lysandre
    Pokemon Center Lady
    Strong energy
    Training Cener

TuxedoBlack said:
My draft includes the following:

• 3 Bicycle - works very nicely with Korrina
    2 Colress
    1 Computer Search - seems to work better vs. Dowsing Machine or Scramble Switch
    1 Energy Retrieval
    2 Float Stone
    3 Korrina
    1 Lysandre
    3 Muscle Band
    4 N
    1 Pal Pad
    1 Pokemon Fan Club - finding this Supporter to be quite useful when you need to "swarm" Basics onto the bench
    3 Professor Juniper - personal prefernce when running Korrina too
    1 Professor's Letter
    2 Rare Candy
    1 Sacred Ash
    2 Ultra Ball
Also, my energy mix is currently:

• 2 Double Colorless
    3 Fighting
    3 Psychic
    3 Strong

Additional cards still under consideration:

• Lysandre
    Pokemon Center Lady
    Strong energy
    Training Cener

What do you do about Seismitoad EX?

TuxedoBlack said:

Having played this in our last local tournament (Bo3 50 minute matches) I can safely say no it's not that viable in that format. I didn't get a third game in any match, and ended up drawing every game (as did the other people running the same deck!)

Shök said:
TuxedoBlack said:

The only problem with this is what if there is just dusknoir on the bench and you have to spinning turn into it? I just don't like the idea of having to do that with trevenant being the main focus to switch into.

I think once we have Gengar EX to replace Donphan, this deck will be really strong.

Tanner said:
I think once we have Gengar EX to replace Donphan, this deck will be really strong.

gengar has no strong energy, has 3 energy to attack.

anyways -jirachi +snorlax pls

ccloughley said:
Tanner said:

gengar has no strong energy, has 3 energy to attack.

Gengar-EX also can abuse Virbank City Gym
Gengar-EX means you're running Psychic energy, meaning Sigilyph and Trevenant are capable of attacking too if needed.
Gengar-EX gets to use a Dragalge + Trevenant poison stall lock, which is much better than snorlax as Switch doesn't get out of it, and pokemon catcher can't do anything either. Opponent would need to use Lysandre when they may have wanted to use something else instead.
Gengar-EX resists fighting as well, while Mr. Mime can block Landorus EX's bench damage. Oh, and of course, Mr. Mime is ALSO a psychic type and can attack if such a situation ever comes up.
Gengar-EX and Trevenant both use 1 Psychic and 1 DCE, so that's kinda nice.

As for the strong energy, compared to Donphan, Gengar-EX might as well have one built in since it does 20 more damage. If anything, Gengar-EX is just missing Fighting Stadiu--- oh wait, Virbank does that job to more than just EX Pokémon thanks to Gengar's poison :D

Also keep in mind, sure Gengar-EX requires more energy than Donphan, but Gengar-EX is also a basic pokemon, has higher base damage than Donphan's switching attack, and causes poison.

Back