Ruling Dusknoir lv X + Rescue Energy

peetzaman

lolwut
If your active Dusknoir lv X is knocked out and has Rescue Energy attached, can you use Ectoplasm and then return the regular Dusknoir and all pokemon beneath it to your hand?

I would assume what would happen is Dusknoir LV.X would become a Stadium card if you chose to use the Ectoplasm power, but everything else would get discarded, since that is part of the Poke-Power's effect. If you didn't use Ectoplasm, then all Pokemon cards would return to your hand.

The thing is that Rescue Energy activates if your Pokemon 'is Knocked Out by damage from an attack', and Ectoplasm activates if Dusknoir 'would be Knocked Out by damage from an attack'. 'Would be knocked out'-related effects take place before 'is knocked out'-related ones.

Wait for another professor to agree/disagree with me though.

I'm inclined to agree with DNA here. Even if his Would Be KO'd vs. Is KO'd argument holds no ground (After all, Rescue Energy's translation might say Would Be KO'd as well in English), one would think it is the player's choice on which of the two effects. You most likely won't be able to both make him a stadium AND return the other cards to your hand though.

Back