Duskull from “Cosmic Eclipse” Banned from Expanded Format Thanks to Dusclops

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Amid all the Worlds news, TPCi and Creatures have announced that Duskull from 2019’s Cosmic Eclipse will be banned from the Expanded format starting September 27th. This is due to the release of Dusclops from Shrouded Fable, whose Ability makes it easy to donk your opponent.

cec.083.duskull-215x300.jpg

SV6pt5_EN_19-2x-215x300.png

TPCi stated the reason for the ban on Pokemon.com:
With the release of Dusclops in Shrouded Fable, it became very possible to win the game on the first turn when going first by using Duskull’s Spiritborne Evolution Ability to evolve into Dusclops. By getting enough Dusclops into play, players can use many Cursed Blast Abilities to Knock Out the opponent’s only Pokémon in play and win the...

Continue reading...

I'm not that big a fan of the Dusknoir in Standard as it is, but that doesn't even come to close to how much I wouldn't like the Dusclops in Expanded with Spiritborne Evolution Duskull around... only if I cared more about Expanded.
And despite this response I had on the initial reveal of Dusclops and Dusknoir, I still don’t care any more about expanded now as then.

Expanded…expand-ed…oh you mean that dead format no one plays anymore because no one hosts expanded at any relevant competition that matters for CP, they killed it on their remaining inferior tcg playing app because it has an incomplete list of cards available, etc? And they care about someone potentially donking someone in a format no one plays because of them?

You’d think they’d have better things to waste time on, but guess not. As someone who lived through the eras of Take Out Machamp and such, this is laughable at best.

Bro the donk deck you could make with this was so fun, I’m honestly really sad to see this guy get banned

I can't imagine this was overpowered in expanded? I don't play expanded but I find it hard to believe that with almost every card there aren't more dangerous ''donk'' combinations.

They said themselves that you need a lot of cards to make this work, and if your opponent starts with a high HP Pokémon, this deck falls apart. I dunno, seems a bit unnecessary.

I can't imagine this was overpowered in expanded? I don't play expanded but I find it hard to believe that with almost every card there aren't more dangerous ''donk'' combinations.

They said themselves that you need a lot of cards to make this work, and if your opponent starts with a high HP Pokémon, this deck falls apart. I dunno, seems a bit unnecessary.
This deck was played in Japan because that’s the only place where it’s actually still played (700 players at CL Aichi) and pretty much this deck wins every single time.

In expanded you have several options to replenish your hand on your first turn, like dedenne gx, crobat v, squawkabilly ex, and Carmine, and from there it's just setting up 3+ dusclops and using their ability to wipe your opponents board before they ever get to take a turn.

Oh good, they paid enough attention to Expanded to leave it alone again for an indeterminate amount of time.

FR though, this was a much-needed ban

And yet iron valiant and the poison mod deck can do 100+ damage on turn one without attacking and nothing. Thats even in standard rotation right now, except for the pecharunt being banned for worlds because Japan doesn’t have it yet. I’ve lost turn one going second on live to this deck.

It removes unnecessary luck. A player shouldnt lose because their opponent was lucky. It also kills a lot of decks that could be used. If you want a evolution deck, you can't play it now. Eith all the draw in the format and cards to look at prize cards, a 4/4/4 line with draw means you can resolve the effect multiple times on the first or second turn. The format becomes "big basics only or you lose", which is the exact same reason Overconfident Sableye was soft banned and forced an early rotation.
id like to see iron vailiant and similar banned in expanded.

Last edited:
“Hi, we’d like to kick you from expanded, even though it’s kinda dead to us. Any thoughts?”- Pokémon “Uhh, I can’t be used in official tournaments anymore, so why does it matter that a new “good” cards you released is going to kick me?”-Duskull says through tears. “Uhhhhhhh… No comment. Goodbye.”

Expanded has banned cards that allow you to give up prizes or donk more consistently... this does both, so it's no surprise it got banned.

Expanded…expand-ed…oh you mean that dead format no one plays anymore because no one hosts expanded at any relevant competition that matters for CP, they killed it on their remaining inferior tcg playing app because it has an incomplete list of cards available, etc? And they care about someone potentially donking someone in a format no one plays because of them?

You’d think they’d have better things to waste time on, but guess not. As someone who lived through the eras of Take Out Machamp and such, this is laughable at best.
The format is still highly played in Japan, so yes, there is reason for them to care.

ADP has Pokemon Ranger to keep it in check.
Tbh ADP can be very easily beaten without Ranger. Decks that play it end up being really slow and also super linear. Stuff like Bunnelby Drago and Lugia can do so many different things.

Back