Ruling Energy question, where do they go?

_dannielle

Aspiring Trainer
I haven't played with Pokemon cards since I was about...11. And we never read the rule books, we just played with them, heh.

But here I am 8 years later and all of a sudden I really want to play again. I've played Magic: the Gathering for years, so I understand the basic idea behind these card games, but there are obvious differences, and I cannot seem to find the rule that says what to do with energies when a pokemon is defeated.

When my pokemon is defeated, where do I put the energies? Are they discarded as well?

And I just want to clarify: If I retreat a pokemon back to my bench, do the energies come with it?

Also, where can I buy more energies? Will they come in booster packs? I seem to remember that they once did, and in Magic you would recieve mana in some booster packs.

I bought a themed deck, EX Holon Phantoms, since that is all they had at the time. It came with plenty of energies, but if I wanted to build another deck without buying a themed deck is there someway to buy or get more energies?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and thanks to those that will help me out. I'm excited to play, but I cannot do that just yet until I get some questions answered :D

When my pokemon is defeated, where do I put the energies? Are they discarded as well?
Yes

And I just want to clarify: If I retreat a pokemon back to my bench, do the energies come with it?
Yes, besides the energy/ies you use to retreat it. They are discarded.

Also, where can I buy more energies? Will they come in booster packs? I seem to remember that they once did, and in Magic you would recieve mana in some booster packs.
Yep, there are energies in some expansion. But in recent expansion, it is hard for you to get in every pack as those energies are rare holos. So, the easiest way is the get from the deck. Other than that, you can buy or trade from your friends.

Hope I answer your ques.;)

I'm assuming the only kids around here that still play pokemon are like 9 years old, heh.

Will comic shops/card shops sell energies? That would be wonderful.

Also, thank you for helping me out :)

Well, there are some older players here...I am 19 here and there are some 40+ year old players out there.

It depands. Some sell and some shop don't.

You are welcome.:cool:

There are still people out there that play pokemon that arent really young, i just got back from a pre-release and the biggest age group is 15 and up, im 15 and my mom even plays. And as for energies you can still use the ones that you got back then so if you kept them then you can use those.

You could always buy Energy in bulk from online stores like this one that sell 'em for about $0.40 a pop (which is kind of a ripoff I think; they shouldn't be more than $.10 or even $.25 each!). You really would be better off getting Energy from boosters and theme decks. Oh and if you still have Energy from the good ol' days, you can use them as well in any tournament since they're just Energy.

BTW, I've been to tournies in a couple of states and I can safely say that the bulk of the serious players that come out are from the 15+ division or maybe even 11-14. I'm 16 but there have been REALLY formidable players out there that are probably twice as old as I am :p

RE:  Energy question, where do they go?

_dannielle said:
I'm assuming the only kids around here that still play pokemon are like 9 years old, heh.

That's absolutely absurd. This games takes way too much strategy and thinking for any 9 year old to play properly.

^well....its targeted for little kids, but its far from that...I love seeing 2 little candy munchers go at it...always complaining about something....but just look at nats this year. More 15+ this year then 14-...

RE:  Energy question, where do they go?

Papi/Manny said:
^well....its targeted for little kids

I agree, it is indeed targeted to little kids, but come on, you cannot tell me that ANY 9 year old can play this game like any 15+.

That was my point. I can't ask these kids for advice because what are the chances they know any better than I do?

Depending on the PTO (premier tournament organizer), you can keep the energy you use during a prerelease, which is another good way to get energy.

I don't get much 'real life' pokemon practice, so I spend time reading message boards and play games over the internet.

Back