Fall Regionals Prize Support.

Afro-G

League of Legends: GabTheLacMan
Edit: Here's the link to the information below: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/tcg-autumn-regional-championships/

-

I saw this info on a couple of other Pokemon forums and thought, "Hey, Pokebeach could use something to get angry about." Pokemon.com appears to be down currently so I apologize for not being able to link to the official page with the information, but hopefully you can take my word for it. But without futher ado, here's the prize support for the upcoming Fall Regional Championships:

1st Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 1st Place award
A Travel Award (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.* †
A first- and second-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**
A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
120 Championship Points

2nd Place

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 2nd Place award
-A Travel Stipend of $500 for Junior and Senior Division finalists to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.* †
A first- and second-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**
A combination of 72 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
110 Championship Points (if division attendance is 4 or greater)

3rd & 4th Place

A Travel Stipend of $500 for Junior and Senior Division finalists to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.* †
A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place award
A combination of 36 booster packs from current Pokémon TCG expansions
90 Championship Points (if division attendance is 8 or greater)

-

Note the bold and underlined text in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place sections. I think the travel award for 3rd and 4th place at Regionals is new but don't skip over the part where it says: "for Junior and Senior Division finalists". You'll notice that there's a lack of the word "Master". After seeing this it appears TPCi is continuing to troll us, but this time only targeting part of the community.

What do you all think about this change? I personally think it's a step in the wrong direction when you're only taking away things from part of a group as opposed to the whole. They shouldn't be essentially treating some divisions better than the other, especially when the division taking the hit far exceeds the size of the other two that are getting the bonus.

Thought it'd be nice to hear what the people of Pokebeach had to say, or at the very least, simply let it be known to anyone who has yet to see this announcement. So yeah, feel free to discuss and/or rage about this topic. :]

I think I know why they took away the travel award portion for the Masters Division...but that doesn't make it a good idea.

For those who don't quite follow my reasoning, I'll explain:

Unlike the Junior and Senior divisions, most of the Masters Division are capable of paying their own way for travel to Nationals and such - Juniors and Seniors, being 15 years old at the most, don't quite have that luxury. However, that does not overlook one thing: travel is expensive.

Here's an example. Last tournament season, in March 2012, a friend and I decided to carpool to Arizona States to compete there (we both live in southern California). Accounting for fuel, hotel, and food expenses, the trip cost about $350 between the two of us - quite a sizable amount for a weekend trip. We went to NorCal Regionals as well a month later, and that trip cost half as much - but that's only because my friend had family up there that we stayed with.

...And that was just one state next door. Indiana is a long way from California.

Most of the prominent players do not live in the middle of the United States (with the notable exception of Ohio). They live closer to the coast - California, Florida, Washington, Oregon, New York...you get the picture. Although Indiana is a central location, it still takes a lot of time and money to get there. So just because Masters can pay their own way doesn't mean they want to...and on top of that, a lot of them probably can't.

We shouldn't be singled out for losing awards here. I agree with Afro; I don't think it's fair that Juniors and Seniors get the travel stipend up to 4th place but Masters only gets it to 1st place. Do they have any idea how difficult Masters Division is to play in? They make the other two look like picking flowers in comparison.

I don't have any intent on traveling to Nationals any time in the near or distant future, even if I had my way paid for me...but regardless, I'm mad.
Welp, just one step for me towards picking up YGO.

sillykyle said:
Maybe the Juniors and Seniors would be willing to share if all the masters would stop calling them bad... ;P
I saw what you did there ;D

But what about the first-year Masters? They're only 16, and if they can provide for their selves, wow. But this is just unreasonable. The juniors and Senior division combined aren't even close to the amount of Masters there are (may be different for other regions but this is what I experience). I'm actually pretty upset over this.

This is stupid. Like I saw on another forum, most kids who play/do well often have parents who will pay for the trip. I get that they are trying to boost attendance, but until Juniors or Seniors become as competitive as Masters we should get the travel allowances. :/

At first I thought there was another typo, but this will prevent me fully from going anywhere...
I'm one of those who just became eligible for Masters...

But what about the first-year Masters? They're only 16, and if they can provide for their selves, wow.

Exactly. Even in Masters themselves, you will have many people who are also unable to pay their own way - you'd have to probably be at least in your 20s to even consider something like that. That's about a 5-year interval of Masters who cannot pay their own way...and that does not even comprise the bulk of the Masters Division. Most of the Masters Division are mid-20s and up, and they all work hard to do well in tourneys. To find that the travel award only goes to the #1 guy...it's actually quite unfair.

>Increase number of mandatory tournaments involved in getting an invite in order to ensure the best, most consistent players get it.
>Reduce financial aid to ensure best, most consistent players get the invite.

Good plan, guys.

I have to say, I'm happy for selfish reasons, being a senior, but I honestly think this wasn't the best call on Pokemon's part. I went to a BR's last weekend, we had about 20 juniors+seniors, and like 60 something masters.

sillykyle said:
Maybe the Juniors and Seniors would be willing to share if all the masters would stop calling them bad... ;P

Agreed :p not all of us are bad, you know.

It's not that you're bad; it's that there are much much less of you than when compared to the Masters Division. We're easily twice the size of Juniors and Seniors put together...and then some.

pokemonjoe said:
I have to say, I'm happy for selfish reasons, being a senior, but I honestly think this wasn't the best call on Pokemon's part. I went to a BR's last weekend, we had about 20 juniors+seniors, and like 60 something masters.

I am in exactly the same situation. i hope they remedy this by next season so that everything is as fair as it can get.
(and i'm moving up to masters next year but it won't make a difference, i'm not good enough)

I think that instead of just eliminating the travel financial aid from Masters all together, they should eliminate it for those 18 and older. Although it is still stupidly unfair, if one were to petition TPCi, a compromise would be the best bet at getting anywhere, and I feel that ^ would be the best compromise in this situation. And it makes the most sense. Technically speaking, anyone over 18 is an adult and is self dependent. In most states, being 18 allows you to get any job you want, so technically you shouldn't need financial aid when traveling to a "luxury" (i.e. vacation, unnecessary expense) event. But for someone like me, who is now in Masters, but is still 16, I can't afford to fly around the United States. I can barely afford to build a deck and maintain my collection, let alone buy a $400+ plane ticket to Indiana.

Also, what's with the lack of an award for 3rd place? Is that normal, or something new (and unfair)?

Pokemon.com isn't down anymore (if it was before), so I'd like to see an official source. I have trouble believing anything i read on the internet unless it is official.

festizzio said:
Pokemon.com isn't down anymore (if it was before), so I'd like to see an official source. I have trouble believing anything i read on the internet unless it is official.
As you wish: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/tcg-autumn-regional-championships/

Also updated the top of the first post with the link.

VG Prize Support:

1st Place

A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 1st Place award

A Travel Award (including a parent or legal guardian for players under 18) to the 2013 U.S. National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana, OR the Canada National Championships in Toronto, ON.*

A first-round bye at the U.S. National Championships**

120 Championship Points

2nd Place

A Pokémon VG Regional Championships 2nd Place award

A Travel Stipend of $500 for Junior and Senior Division finalists, collected on site at the National Championships. Valid ID will be required to collect your stipend.

A Travel Stipend of $300 for Masters Division finalists, collected on site at the National Championships. Valid ID will be required to collect your stipend.

A first- round bye at the U.S. National Championships**

110 Championship Points (if division attendance is 4 or greater)

3rd & 4th Place

A Travel Stipend of $500 for Junior and Senior Division semi-finalists, collected on site at the National Championships. Valid ID will be required to collect your stipend.

A Pokémon TCG Regional Championships 3rd or 4th Place award

90 Championship Points (if division attendance is 8 or greater)

5th Place through 8th Place

70 Championship Points(if division attendance is 32 or greater)

9th Place through 12th Place

50 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)

13th Place through 16th Place

40 Championship Points (if division attendance is 64 or greater)

17th Place through 32nd Place

20 Championship Points (if division attendance is 128 or greater)

33rd Place through 64th Place

10 Championship Point (if division attendance is 256 or greater)

A little love for masters at least.

Back