• Team Building Process
  • At A Glance
  • In Depth Review
  • Threat List
  • Past Team Members
  • Conclusion + Credits
  • Export

Introduction

Hello everyone! Yoshi here presenting another RMT, and this time I'm using Sand stall. The play style appeals to me because of its array of useful Pokemon to use. I thought about using quite a bit of Pokemon on the team for a while, but I finally decided to settle on my team. I like to keep by RMTs short, so without further ado, let's get onto the team.

Team Building Process

455.png

I started with Hippowdon as an SR and sand setter, and also as my first physical wall.

455.png
242.png

Next I chose Blissey, a special wall that works in tandem with Hippowdon (HippoBliss ;D). Unlike Chansey, Blissey does not lose HP in a sandstorm.

455.png
242.png
130.png

Gyarados was next because of its ability to phaze set up sweepers and cripple physical attackers with Intimidate.

455.png
242.png
130.png
178.png

With Magic Bounce, Xatu was an excellent choice to keep momentum and keep hazards off of my side of the field.

455.png
242.png
130.png
178.png
490.png

I wanted to be a tad creative for stall, so I went with TormenTran because of its ability to make players rip out their hair.

455.png
242.png
130.png
178.png
490.png
503.png

Rotom-W is an excellent answer to rain teams (and special Keldeo!) and cripples physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, while also packing lots of special bulk.

At A Glance

450.gif
242.gif
130.gif
178.gif
485.gif
479-w.gif

In Depth Review

hippowdon_by_jacktoon-d45jxl1.png

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang​

I think Hippowdon is underestimated this generation because of rain threats like Keldeo, but Hippowdon performs the role of Sand setter and SR setter on the team. Hippowdon also acts as my first physical wall that does a good job of taking care of Terrakion. Every team needs a Stealth Rock user, and thankfully Hippowdon has enough bulk to set up SR and is slow enough to keep the favorable weather in play. Ice Fang is used to hit Gliscor and Dragons, but I'm thinking Roar might be a better option as a back up phazing option if Gyarados goes down. Slack Off is great to restore HP, and recovery is something Hippowdon has that Tyranitar does not. Overall Hippowdon is a beast on stall and deserves a spot on the team.

blissey_by_SailorClef.jpg

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic​

Blissey was chosen over Chansey because although Chansey has better defenses, Blissey doesn't lose HP in Sand. This Blissey is designed to support the team because Gyarados and Hippowdon are crippled by burn, so Aromatherapy is quite useful in its role as a cleric. I was also thinking of using Wish over Softboiled so I could heal other team members, but I don't want to waste a move slot for Protect. Seismic Toss is so I'm not Taunt bait, and Toxic cripples bulky Water types. Blissey's main role on the team is a cleric, but obviously it is clear that Blissey is an extremely good special wall, and pairs well with Hippowdon (HippoBliss lol) by tanking special hits while Hippowdon removes physical threats like Terrakion.

gyarados_by_sailorclef-d5dhuj1.png

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt
- Waterfall​

Gyarados is sort of a mixed wall because of its specially defensive investment and because of Intimidate. This is just a typical defensive Gyarados, which cripples offensive Mons with Thunder Wave, while forcing out set up sweepers with Dragon Tail. Taunt is great for shutting down defensive threats like Blissey, and Waterfall is Gyarados' STAB of choice, which actually hits pretty nicely. Gyarados makes a good partner for Hippowdon because Hippowdon takes Electric type attacks, while Gyarados can take hits from specially oriented Pokemon like Specs Toed. It also supports Blissey because it takes Fighting attacks well from the likes of Terrakion and Conkeldurr, even though it has to be careful of Stone Edge.

xatu_by_sailorclef-d4i7nt2.png

Xatu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
- Reflect​

Xatu performs one crucial role on the team; keeping hazards off the field. If Blissey goes down, then multiple members of the team succumb to Toxic, while SR chips away at Gyarados and even Xatu itself, so with proper prediction Xatu can keep hazards away. However, Xatu is not just a one-trick pony, because Xatu plays an excellent role as a support Mon. Thunder Wave cripples offensive threats as Gyarados does, and Reflect protects the team further from physical threats. U-Turn keeps momentum in my favor, and Roost heals Xatu if its HP is running low. For some reason the default Nature on Smogon is Bold, but since Xatu runs U-Turn it makes little sense.

Heatran_by_SailorClef.jpg

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 44 SDef / 220 Spd
- Torment
- Substitute
- Protect
- Lava Plume​

The creativity in the team lies in TormenTran. Instead of just running a standard Specially Defensive set, I went for one that really defines "stall". This is just a standard TormenTran set, nothing special, but it does do its job and also acts as a special wall. This set can actually beat Dugtrio if Heatran is behind a Substitute. Even though the set isn't unique, I find TormenTran to be quite a cool set that should be used more often due to its ability to frustrate players. I think every stall team needs to have creativity, and even though this team isn't pushing it, it's not something you see every day. ;D

rotom_wash_by_anzhyra-d5im2jf.png

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp​

Rotom-W is the last member of the team, and is really one of the best members because of the prevalence of rain. This is the standard defensive Rotom-W, and it performs its job of stopping rain abusers in their tracks very well. I decided to go for Will-O-Wisp on this set because Rotom-W can act as more of a mixed wall, like Gyarados. Hydro Pump hits pretty hard in the rain if it happens to be up, and Volt Switch maintains momentum, like U-Turn on Xatu. Pain Split is unfortunately its only form of recovery, but it actually isn't too bad because Rotom-W can take a few hits and then split up the HP, and it really hurts Mons like Blissey and Chansey with monster HP stats. Without Rotom-W, this team would struggle greatly against rain.

Threat List

I will add them when they appear. So far Gliscor has been problematic since Ice Fang only does about 30% to Gliscor, and Gliscor just waits for Gyarados to die so it can come out and kill everything. This might be where I need an HP Ice user.

Past Team Members

None as of Yet

Conclusion and Credits

Thanks for reading! I'm not too familiar with Stall, so I'd love some feedback on how the team is constructed and how well it fits together. I don't like to talk too much, so credits are to all of the artists who let me use their drawings (eg. Retki, SailorClef). Also, I'd like to thank in advance anyone who helps out with the team. I know everyone is busy and all/isn't interested in the team, but I would like some feedback. Thanks!

Export
Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SDef
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Ice Fang

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
- Aromatherapy
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Taunt
- Waterfall

Xatu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
- Reflect

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 244 HP / 44 SDef / 220 Spd
- Torment
- Substitute
- Protect
- Lava Plume

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp

Hey Yoshi! Nice RMT Here. Something I immediately notice is a pretty big weakness to Sun sweepers, particularily the physical Chlorophyl ones, so Venusaur, Tangrowth, etc. I feel like if they get 1 turn to set up, they can run through your team. Most of the time, they carry Earthquake, so Heatran can't handle them. Their physical STAB attacks (either Seed Bomb or Power Whip) are going to beat Hippowdon, Rotom, and Blissey into submission, and it will also do a decent amount to Gyarados. Xatu is the only thing left, and it isn't really bulky enough to stop them. (Not to mention the slight chance that they use Rock Slide.)

To help out with this, I would suggest switching Gyarados to Latias. You retain the Fighting resistance and Ground immunity that Gyarados provides, but you gain a plethora of other resistances in addition. It also makes you a tad less weak to Stealth Rock. (Even though Xatu can keep it off, Tyranitar is going to get it up anyways, I think. Not to mention, if your opponent has multiple Pokémon that /could/ use Stealth Rock, you have to play a game of guess and check.) I would try:
Latias @Leftovers
252 HP/4 SpDef/252 Spe
~Calm Mind
~Dragon Pulse
~Recover
~Roar

Roar can rack up some hazard damage, and it lets you beat others in a Calm Mind war. You have aromatherapy on Blissey, so you don't have to worry (as much) about Toxic and whatnot.

Also a suggestion, but Spikes isn't the most popular move anymore, so I don't think you can rely on Xatu to get Spikes on your opponent's side of the field, which is extremely important to stall teams. I would suggest getting your own Spiker in here somewhere (I would recommend Forretress, since it has Spikes, Rapid Spin, AND Volt Switch.) to make it easier to build up damage on the opposing side of the field.

Back