Collecting Figure Collecting

SpunkyBandy

Aspiring Trainer
I am a HUGE, huge fan of collecting figures and especially Pokemon figures as well but, is there anyone in that community that likes the figures more than the cards or plushies? (Considering plushies and cards are in the top merchandising of Pokemon and bizarrely not a single mention of figures.

I like toys.

In all seriousness, I try my best to keep up with the Pokemon toys. Unfortunately TOMY loves to drop all of their new products at once, so I'm constantly playing catch-up. Heck, the new drop last month caught me completely off-guard, and now I'm trying shift around my budget so that I can grab the handful of figures I want before they disappear in the Christmas rush (BREAKthrough looking like another lackluster release is making that easier).

As for the various toy lines:
- I've found that it's easier (and cheaper) to buy the Japanese minifigs than to try and navigate TOMY's packaging scheme and overpay for doubles. The new matte paint is a big improvement.
- I'm a HUGE fan of the new Action lines. Varying degrees of articulation, but everything appears to be in 6" scale, which is great for somebody like me who buys figures from different lines.
- I love Tenkai Knights, but the Ionix figures need to die in a fire. They look awful, and the Venusaur set was some of the laziest engineering I've seen in a building block set.
- I'm saddened that Bandai dropped the D-Arts line due to poor sales, but at least we got the Gen I starters/Venusaur.

I don't collect figures at all asides from the awesome ones they release with TCG products but I will say this, if you get the Mega Rayquaza figurine from the TCG box for the love of glob wrap it in bubble wrap while you're moving it/ask it to be bubble wrapped upon shipping it to you as there's one piece near the middle of the figurine that apparently breaks easily and while luckily kept mostly in place by the energy line things on mega ray still moves the figure if broken which is easily done.

I have tons of tomy figures of Pokemon I bought when I was younger, I also bought a whole box of them from Hong Kong. I believe they are all gen 1 and 2.

I do like the more recent figures as well as the promo figures but I think I prefer when you could get an entire evolution line in one package, rather then 4 random Pokemon.

I like the Pokémon Kids figures, personally. :) They're rather cheap and super cute, and best of all, they're available for a very large selection of Pokémon!

The problem that I have with most figures is that they tend to be for popular/marketable Pokémon, mostly starters and legendaries. And, honestly, those are rarely my favourite Pokémon. :p But I have Kids figures of a lot of the Pokémon I really do love, such as Shellos/Gastrodon, Bellsprout, Omanyte, Oddish, etc. :D So if you're someone like me that tends to like basic or unpopular Pokémon, it's great to be able to find and collect these figures.

Also, they're cheap because they're hollow and made out of kind of a rubbery plastic, which is also sweet because it means you don't have to worry about stands or having the figures break. The TCG figures that I've accumulated over the years tend to be kind of fragile. Also, the Kids are hollow and open on the bottom so they can be used as finger puppets. :p

I'm also a figure collector and I also collect Pokémon figures. I mostly collect Takara Tomy ones.

I want to get a figure of each Pokémon plus their alternative forms, all the sleeping figures, the Nendos, the D-Arts, a Serena figure and a Dawn figure...Oh whoa, that's alot. The last one I got was a 4 pack with Amaura, Pikachu, Meowstic (f) and Mega Blaziken.

I get some once in a while, but figure wise I'm focusing on Sailor Moon S.H. Figuarts and World of Nintendo right now.

Ha, I do actually have a Dawn figure myself! :D I got it on clearance at Target several years ago. She came with a Buneary, but that'a disappeared somewhere over the years. It's not a particularly nice figure or anything but I enjoy it. :p

Here is a picture I took of my figure collection, the ones on the right are the figures I purchased in the US in stores. The ones in the middle and top are from Hong Kong, I did get some duplicates in the box but I noticed they are sometimes lighter or darker and have different type on the back. Mostnoticeable is Charizard, mine is all orange and their's is more realistic, Charmander, their's is metallic and all red and Gengar, their's is Transparent and mine is solid and a dark purple, maybe black. The figures on the bottom are promo figures as well as figures I bought recently, I have a new Lapras but my dream is to get all of the gen 1 Pokémon from Tomy in the old style. Especially Ninetales which is my favorite Pokémon, there is a new plush of Ninetales and Vulpix but they are very expensive.

Aside from pictured I have a Blaziken and Infernape in the same packaging as the Typhlosion, which I found out a few days ago was going for 50 dollars online? Also I have Umbreon and Espeon in their catch and release balls packaging.

0_zps5uuae5er.jpg

So I picked up the Battle Attack Mega Venusaur tonight.

This thing feels beefy. Very solid, and weighs way more than I was expecting. In reality it weighs just a little more than the D-Arts Venusaur, but it easily dwarfs the D-Arts counterpart. Almost everything is molded in colored plastic, with only a couple of paint apps for the small details. Clocks in at about 4.5-5" tall, so it scales well with 3 3/4" figures. Action gimmick flies well, but that's not why you should buy this thing. My only complaint is that I wish the head swiveled, but otherwise I have to applaud TOMY for a great figure.

Back