File eBay dispute or not?

Drose

Aspiring Trainer
I recently purchased on eBay 36 Loose pokemon booster packs from Black and White series, for $70 including shipping.

I received zero full art Reshiram/Zekroms, and only three holos.

All 36 packs have been opened. Obviously, I cannot prove they have been weighed, but they probably were.

Is it ethical to open a dispute for the item being "significantly not as described", and send back the 360 cards from the packs for a refund?

They probably were. Unfortunately in your case, the sold product was described as 36 "loose" booster packs. Since the 36 packs are "loose" and not sealed in a box, you are not guaranteed any full arts or holos, like you would be in a normal sealed box. The owner can put whatever 36 packs he wants in your sale, since you didn't buy the sealed product.

Now if you had bought a box, or something else that was sealed, this would be different, since you're guaranteed I believe 2 or 3 Full Arts per box in Black and White, and some more holos. As it is though, you are not guaranteed any. There isn't any way, unfortunately, for you to prove that he tampered with them and that you don't just have really awful luck.

Man you just got bummed out. eBay won't refund that unless it came damaged and the contents were missing or he didn't provide a tracking number.

Hoo this reminds me of the time this stupid store sold Diamond and Pearl Secret Wonders "Booster Box" off Amazon. He changed to title to "Booster Box LOT 36 packs" and added "same as box cost less". Yea no. It's not the same as a box as you get CRAP PULLS.

http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Diamond-Secret-Wonders-Booster/dp/B0029LY2K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354120736&sr=8-1&keywords=secret+wonders+booster+box

I got a beat up envelope instead with the 36 packs. Filed a claim and Amazon didn't seem to do anything. Then again my e-mail got hacked so I couldn't see the response. >_> It's like 40$ extra bucks for a box. Just get a box. What I got out of this batch?

5 Roserade Holos.
1 Salamence holo
1 Gastrodon Holo
1 Raikou Holo
1 Blastoise Holo

9 out of 36. Well not as bad as 3 out of 36 (no offense) but you can tell it's fixed as boxes usually don't give you more than 3 duplicates of holos and you usually get more than 9... if it's just at 9 then you usually get a Lv. X or some other ultra rare.

I don't know how this guy hasn't lost money or get suspended with him selling as a box but giving out loose packs. >_>

Yes, if you are going to buy loose packs, get them off sites that will sell them from their opened boxes. Comic shops or other online retailers. Except ones that buy packs from people... Stop2shop sold me 17 packs and they're were weighed... 3 holos, 2 of which were doubles.

Collector's Cache don't weigh, and Troll and Toad don't weigh. Infinite Produx from ebay also sells really good loose packs. I got 18 from that store and got lots of good pulls.

You Just Don't Do That. The Shop Should Put Themselves In Your Position. How would they like it? Ask The shop That Question

I only buy sealed booster boxes.
Yes, it sounds like the packs have been weighed.
I seriously doubt that eBay would side with you with the situation you described.

However, if you attempt to leave a negative ref to the seller, your case does go to dispute automatically.

I emailed the guy and if he does not fix this somehow, I will be leaving negative feedback.

Incredibly bummed that there is nothing eBay can do even though this guy clearly tampered with the packs.

Hey it could be worse, they could have been resealed and placed fakes all over them. I got 4 tampered, opened and resealed packs that had a fake Chansey and Jynx lololol, I dunno why I'm not angry I just found it really funny. The other cards were legit even though the rare Murkrows were definitely placed from another pull as it had a crease. I just saw a curve on Chansey and I tried to fix it but then it ripped like dramatically. Then I realized how blurry the text was compared to the other cards.

If you can't get him for loose packs, try to see if the packs have any gluey residue on them. If they do, it means they weren't weighed, they were opened and resealed with bogus cards! Which is way worse in my opinion.

MrSquarepants said:
Hey it could be worse, they could have been resealed and placed fakes all over them. I got 4 tampered, opened and resealed packs that had a fake Chansey and Jynx lololol, I dunno why I'm not angry I just found it really funny. The other cards were legit even though the rare Murkrows were definitely placed from another pull as it had a crease. I just saw a curve on Chansey and I tried to fix it but then it ripped like dramatically. Then I realized how blurry the text was compared to the other cards.

If you can't get him for loose packs, try to see if the packs have any gluey residue on them. If they do, it means they weren't weighed, they were opened and resealed with bogus cards! Which is way worse in my opinion.

No, all the cards are legitimate. I know I should have thought twice before buying loose packs, but the guy had positive feedback from selling the lots before so I did not suspect anything.

Atleast the cards are cheap nowadays so I can snag some off of eBay.

Drose said:
I emailed the guy and if he does not fix this somehow, I will be leaving negative feedback.

Incredibly bummed that there is nothing eBay can do even though this guy clearly tampered with the packs.

If the page said 36 loose boosters you can't complain, if it said sealed box, complain away.

Blui129 said:
Drose said:

If the page said 36 loose boosters you can't complain, if it said sealed box, complain away.

I cannot even complain to the seller? Are you sure?

Why not? He weighed the packs, which is very unethical.

QWERTY DITTO said:
Unless it said in the description that the packs were unwieghed, the seller has every right to way them

In the description, it said "36 Black & White Booster Packs, just like a booster box."

In no way did it indicate they were tampered with, which they clearly were. I have every right to complain. I called eBay and they said to file a dispute and they would most likely rule in my favor.

Drose said:
QWERTY DITTO said:
Unless it said in the description that the packs were unwieghed, the seller has every right to way them

In the description, it said "36 Black & White Booster Packs, just like a booster box."

In no way did it indicate they were tampered with, which they clearly were. I have every right to complain. I called eBay and they said to file a dispute and they would most likely rule in my favor.
But it never said they weren't weighed, you got what you payed for which were 36 loose packs, and that is the product you recieved, correct? It doesn't matter if they were weighed unless it specifically said "not weighed" or something like "sealed booster box"

^ This is true. You have to watch every single word that ebay sellers use. I do tend to agree with the general consensus of, that while it does suck, the seller didn't rip you off either. The honest to god truth of packs is that if you buy packs anywhere besides place like TnT or sealed products they will likely be weighed. While it is unethical, Ebay won't care. The seller sent you what you bought. In the future I would never buy packs of Ebay unless its from Tnt or something along those lines. Also might I recommend that if you wanted something specific from BLW base then just buy it. I don't think there is card in that set that costs more than 10 bucks. And the last thing I will say that if something on Ebay looks to good to be true or just a "really good deal", something is probably wrong with it, and you will likely get screwed. Stay away from anything random as well (random lots, loose packs, even blister packs) Sealed booster boxes or special boxes/tins would be the only way I would buy packs online.

TPO3 said:
They probably were. Unfortunately in your case, the sold product was described as 36 "loose" booster packs. Since the 36 packs are "loose" and not sealed in a box, you are not guaranteed any full arts or holos, like you would be in a normal sealed box. The owner can put whatever 36 packs he wants in your sale, since you didn't buy the sealed product.

Now if you had bought a box, or something else that was sealed, this would be different, since you're guaranteed I believe 2 or 3 Full Arts per box in Black and White, and some more holos. As it is though, you are not guaranteed any. There isn't any way, unfortunately, for you to prove that he tampered with them and that you don't just have really awful luck.
I don't think you guaranteed anything in booster boxes. I think there's average pull rates but I've heard of boxes getting anywhere from 0-8 secret rares. I've opened four boxes and the lowest iv'e got was 3 and highest was 7. There's nothing that says your guaranteed anything though in booster boxes i'm pretty sure.

Either way, at this point, the seller is a scumbag and if eBay is willing to help me get my money back, I will accept that help regardless of what the description said.

If you can then go for it, I would disagree with doing that, but in the future I would recommend checking stuff out first. In any collectible market, their will always be sellers willing to take advantage of the naive on a technicality. The reason I would disagree with you disputing it is because the packs are opened. He sent you what you bought and you returning opened packs is ripping him off twice as bad as he did you. I frequently purchase off Ebay and if you ever find an item in question feel free to PM me about as I will be able to tell you the legitimacy of it.

Yea I would also disagree with filing a dispute.

One thing to take into mind is try to avoid loose pack listings for new sets as much as possible on eBay otherwise you're just asking for trouble. There's a greater chance that they've been searched through since that's what a majority of people do when they buy a case or something.

Back