FUTURE OF POKEMON CARDS?

Weeheed

Aspiring Trainer
Hey there!

I just wondered what you guys think will happen with pokemon maybe another 10 years down the line? Do you think the original classic set (base, jungle, fossil, rocket, gym) would be worth anything? Im not a big fan of the fossil or rocket, but wonder if i should buy them cheaply just now to complete the 'classic' set? What is the general value of these sets each at the moment if you know? Its hard to tell on ebay because everyone inflates the prices of things, especially these sets as they are hard to come by! Will the value go down with each new set and will they be worth nothing when the craze is over?

The older ones will be of value to collectors. If you plan on being a collector, buy them now. They should only continue go up in price. Even if demand for the cards stay level, supply could fall, as cards get lost, damaged, or put in storage.

omahanime said:
The older ones will be of value to collectors. If you plan on being a collector, buy them now. They should only continue go up in price. Even if demand for the cards stay level, supply could fall, as cards get lost, damaged, or put in storage.

But will the cards stay valuable when the craze is over? It was said that people thought those who played it when they were younger would start a craze again at some point in the future and the value would skyrocket. but from what i see on ebay at the moment its all either people who buy to sell back on (to me its just passing the buck around the sellers to get another seller to buy it to sell) and people who want a couple cards for memories sakes (guilty of it myself).

Ive found a set of fossil and jungle cards for 15.00 GBP each at the moment and wonder if it is a good price for the sets? Im not particularly fond of the fossil set and i already have all holos of the jungle. Is it worth my money to complete the set and sell my holos for the complete? and buy fossil just to complete the classic set?

I don't view pokemon as a craze. I started collecting the cards 10 years ago. True, it is not as popular now as it was then, but everything goes through that. In the future who knows for sure. Buy the cards if you enjoy collecting pokemon cards.

It's difficult to say.
I would say that at the moment, the Pokemon TCG Fandom is rising. It's definitely more popular then it was say in 2004. I'm not sure why, maybe its the new Pokemon and the new rules, or maybe we've all caught on to the fact that its serious buisness now and not some little guilty pleasure but there's more of it. Maybe the evolution of the internet's related, who knows?

However, I don't believe its hit the peak set in '99-2000. It definitely was at a hype, because it was a new thing. After Gen 2, kinda went down, Gen 3, not so good. I also think the games and the cards have a direct relationship. This is most evident in Gen 3, I don't think Ruby and Sapphire were very well received, so the cards suffered. Another factor was the time between R/S/E and D/P, which I think lead to Delta Species, to "fill" te gap. Now that D/P is very popular, the cards have received that boost as well.

As for the future, I think it depends on what the games have happen. If Gen 5 (if there is one) does occur and the continued popularity continues, then I predict that the card game will get bigger and better. If Gen 5 isn't good or doesn't come, then I think the card game will have another filler period like Delta Species and will decline in popularity.

As for the collection value, same deal. Charizard BS should have lost some of its popularity due to Charizard SF. I think if Gen 5 is good, the cards will rise in popularity and collection will be good. If not, same deal, although they may develope a cult following and gain. I don't really know, I'm no expert.

My final word: It depends on the future of Pokemon in general, not just the games but the franchise itself.

It's really hard to tell the future of the game. As a previous poster stated, the game is definitely getting more popular. I'd attribute that fact to the Burger King sponsorships, this generation of video games being better than the last, and the new movie coming out. I also think that, as the recession continues on and the economy gets worse, people are not only going to be looking to card games as a (fairly) cheap form of entertainment that a whole family can enjoy together, but also, Pokemon in specific has been around so long I think the worried consumer can have more faith in it than a game that just popped up on the market.

As far as older cards being worth something...I don't think the original sets will be worth anymore than they are now. The thing with collectible games, and card games specifically, and even more specifically Pokemon, is that there are a few different types of people: One group is the hardcore player who only cares about the best cards and doesn't want any retired cards because they're not tournament legal. Then there's another group of collectors who might also play, but they mainly want to collect everything in every set. The last group (obviously there are more groups, this is just a generalization) is the group of kids, or otherwise dis-interested people who have some cards but don't play the game often, want to collect but aren't really into it, and mainly just have what they have. The problem is that Group A doesn't really care about older cards, Group B might, but chances are they have most of what they need, or they know the cheapest places to get it, and Group C might want the cards but they're not willing to shell out anything for them. I could be wrong, but if anything I see the older sets decreasing in value.

Back to the general future of the game: The bottom line is that Pokemon will stop being produced when it stops making money. I don't have figures or inside info or anything, but I'd assume that with the rapid succession of sets and the more experimental products (Premium Boxes, etc.) that the card game is doing just fine. I'd also bet that with the video game spin-offs coming out so often, that sector is doing well as well. I can't speak on the anime, but with the movies coming out still, I'd assume that's doing fine as well. The bottom line, to me, is that it's doing fine right now and I believe it'd do fine for the foreseeable future, but I'm no analyst.

tl;dr: I think the game is getting more popular and will be around for a long time, but I wouldn't invest heavily into older sets if you intend to make a profit.

I wouldnt really say MORE popular. Back in the day, there were 2 leagues here. Today, the nearest league and prerelease are both over 50 miles from here!

Yeah sometimes I find it annoying how kids like around 8 years old are signed up to leagues and stuff by their parents when they just don't know what they're doing. It makes me mad because people will make fun of you saying pokemon's immature because I guess they've only seen or been the kids who just like looked at their cards and stuff because they're just like ZOMG I haz Charizard!!! Except they really just think its immature because of the anime, which IMO is a little stupid(please dont kill me), I only watch the movies.

In the end, I just wish people noticed and payed attention to the "Recommended for players ages 10 and up" on the back of tcg products.

Back