Future of Trevenant (XY)

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
This guy's one of my favourite cards, but seems to have fallen out of favour a bit with the ascendance of the Toad Antichrist. Why bother with a stage 1 110 HP Pokemon that needs to stay active when you can just DCE > Item Lock for 30+ damage to boot?

Trevenant is mostly seen in "U-Turn" decks, pairing with Accelgor for a deck that placed very highly at Worlds last year, or Donphan with all his Fighting support, or Gengar-EX for a more potent (yet slightly clunky) lock deck sometimes paired with Dragalge.

You could also pair him with Mienshao (as I did, with less-than-stellar results) or Clawitzer, if you feel like using the least efficient option.

I've been considering a Trevenant/Crawdaunt combo, to knock off an opponent's energy and locking them in the active spot, while using Dimensional Valley to make sure Trevenant can swing for some spread damage and wear down the opponent. Other options may be with Shaymin-EX from Roaring Skies, which allows players to draw through their deck, retreat Trevenant and hit for 30+ damage using Shaymin's attack, before returning the little guy to your hand to start again.

But my real question is; just how competitive will these options be in the future? Will Seismitoad fall out of favour after the next rotation, allowing the spooky ghost-tree to rise in its place? Or will the heavy-hitting juggernauts M-Rayquaza and P-Groudon just hit for too much damage?

I think that the card might see more play, as with Roaring Skies you can T1 Trevenant with Wally.

He'll definitely see more play but he won't be top tier since Yveltal wipes the floor with him. The turn one item lock is sure to be annoying to non-Dark decks though.

I completely forgot about Wally, with 4 of him and 4 Trainer's Post there's a higher chance of getting him in your first hand too. Weakness Policies might be good to handle Dark types, but that means you lose the opportunity to attach Float Stone...which is rotating soon anyway, so unless the effect is reprinted, U-Turn Trevenant pretty much disappears as a strategy, as Mystery Energy only reduces retreat cost by 2, and Trev has a cost of 3.

Back