Garchomp C LV.X from Supreme Victors (#145), 4/20/2010

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
145-garchomp-c-lv.x.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

first!
1 this card cant really stand on its own, it needs some kind of support.
2 it can be used in almost anything SP, but it can most commonly be found in luxchomp and dialgachomp.
3 Dialga g, luxray gl, almost anything sp
4 5/5 because it can be so widely used, a 1-1 or 2-1 line of it can be fit into almost anything sp
5 the artwork is pretty good, although i think it could be better 4/5

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
It actually could work really well in its own deck. I would use a flintzong engine for energy acceleration. Its an amazing card, its probably the best sniper in the history of the game. Totally worth being played.
Luxchomp, Sablelock, BlazerayChomp, and DialgaChomp. Also if you want to count it, Gengarchomp. It got 3rd at a regionals.
Energy acceleration combos like Flintzong, and luxray gl to drag up things and weaken them for you. Also Honchkrow G could weaken things for you.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5/5 Its very good, but not too broken. It can work with a lot of different things because its SP and colorless. It is also very fast and disruptive.
5. How's the artwork?
I actually usually don't look at artwork, but when I saw this at the top of thread, it looks really freaken amazing. It looks like its jumping out of the card (dragon)rushing at you.

1.This card cant really preform at its best without a good SP engine and various SP techs to use.
2.Its used mainly with Luxray GL Lv.X for an amazing combination that is the deck to beat in this format. Its also used in DialgaChomp,sablelock, and the occasional gengar deck.
3.SPs like luxray GL and dialga G love this cards support killing powers. Its can be used in anything that needs somthing sniped early game.
4. 5/5 any decent player will tell you about how well this card can be used and how much of a terror it can be.
5.3/5 on the art work on the non-promo. 3.8/5 on the promo art

I would advise you get a double colorless energy from HGSS! It will really help!

Don't spam. Leave posts here for Card Rates.

dmaster out.

A true contender for BCIF (Best Card in Format), Garchomp C lv X belongs in any SP deck that has room for it, and plays a pivotal role in most of them. Yeah, this card rocks.

This card kills your opponent's active Flygon lv X in one shot, which is reason enough to play it. It can hit anything on your opponent's side for 80, the most obvious choice being their Claydol. This attack may seem like a pain to pay for at first, but you can completely power it up in one turn with an Energy Gain and a Double Colorless Energy. The DCE also nicely satisfies the discard requirement for the attack, so you can use it again next turn. You can keep Dragon Rush up as long as you have a consistent stream of DCEs, which is only slightly hampered by the fact that they're limited to 4 per deck and aren't searchable. A good draw engine compensates for this.

In my area, this card has a nickname, "Better than PokeTurn" (which rolls off the tongue easier than "Garchomp C Level X"). This is owed to it's Healing Breath PokePower. I don't know how a shark's breath is supposed to heal anything, but it works. Most notable of combos with this card is Luxray GL lv X. Luxray GL lv X's Flash Impact does 30 damage to one of your own benched pokemon, and this adds up. But play Garchomp C lv X, and that damage is gone, and Luxray can continue with it's work.

Garchomp C lv X is the card that made Dialga G lv X largely playable, as it allowed Dialga G to lose it's damage without having to replay all it's precious energy, so you can continue to use Dialga G as an attacker.

Play Lucario GL and you can OHKO any Flygon, not just LV X. Be sure to hold onto it until your opponent makes Flygon active to catch them by surprise. Bronzong G's Galactic Switch can make it pile up damage counters, but with Garchomp C lv X, you can keep playing it's PokePower. If you can't find uses for this card, you have no imagination.

This card is going to be everywhere, so you need to know how to kill it. You need to know how to do so quickly, in one turn, or your opponent is likely to PokeTurn it, and you may have to look at it again later. Flygon from Rising Rivals is the most popular choice, give it DCE and an Expert Belt, and you can OHKO it with a Sand Wall. Otherwise, Power Swing does the job.

Ambipom G is the SP deck's card of choice to revenge kill Garchomp C lv X (besides another Garchomp C lv X). When Dragon Rush is used with an Energy Gain, the Garchomp C lv X is usually left with no energy. With this, Ambipom G can move in and kill it with Snap Attack. You can Energy Gain it, or use a DCE. Just be sure to hold onto it in your hand until it's time to kill a Garchomp C lv X, otherwise, your opponent will see it coming and bulk it up with another energy. If that's not a convincing enough reason to play Ambipom G, a recent ruling on Tail Code makes any energy moved onto a benched pokemon with an Unown G on it treated as a forced discard.

Those are the fastest, most popular ways to get rid of a Garchomp C lv X, there are others. Just remember, you can ruin an opponent's day with a Power Spray.

Garchomp C lv X gets a score of 5 out of 5.

A useful card in nearly any SP deck, and brings out the real potential of other Pokemon SP it's played with. Because it's also available as a tin promo, it's also highly accessible. You'll be seeing a lot of this card.

1. It cannot stand on its own it defintly has potintal and is very good
2. Use it with any good SP Diaga palkia luxray etc
3. The same as #2
4. 5/5 because with this card and a good combo can make it hard to beat

This is one of my arch enemys it shut me down at citys with Diaga G and prevented me to place in the top 5

1. It doesnt stand good on its own but goes very well in an sp deck healing all your sp pokemon
2.it is good with luxray and dialga g
3. you can snipe the opponents bench with it and then on your next turn you cant attach another energy and a energy can to do more damage.
4. 4/5 its good but it has some flaws like its hp and attacks which can be corrected. overall its a good support card in and only in a sp deck. any other deck that you would put it in is useless

Kind of off-topic, sorry. How come we keep seeing review of cards we generally ALREADY know are good, instead of pointing out hidden gems that don't get any attention?

graberjr said:
Kind of off-topic, sorry. How come we keep seeing review of cards we generally ALREADY know are good, instead of pointing out hidden gems that don't get any attention?

Like Drifblim from SF?
Jirachi (RR)
etc
?

Most of these reviews are about as exciting to read as the guidelines themselves. Come on, people. You have full command of the English language. Challenge yourselves.

Garchomp C lv.X
Now this is a card that will be know for a long time, this card was ok when it first came out after worlds and it was teamed up with blaziken FB and luxray GL, that deck worked well but it was ohnly really good early game for disruption, then the deck went to maily luxray and garchomp and then the deck became very fast and very consistent THEN on top of all that cards like DCE and pokemon collector just came out resently and this deck went from being a contender in events to winning most of them, now garchomp is good with luxray but being colorless type it could work very well with alot of other cards, its power to heal helps agains spread decks and is very good also in dialga that is a tank, it may need to discard 2 energy to use its main attack but it can use DCE so you could just have a lone garchomp C on bench and then be hitting 80 snipe anywhere in 1 turn.
Overall 9/10

Usagi said:
Most of these reviews are about as exciting to read as the guidelines themselves. Come on, people. You have full command of the English language. Challenge yourselves.

It is mostly the same few points repeated in different ways. I would love to review, but I JUST started playing this card. Good review by the way. It was one of the few that I actually read.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or has potential? Is it worth playing?

Well, most of the time, Garchomp C doesn't do that good on its own. However, I have faced a deck that was an SP Toolbox deck focusing around Garchomp C, similar to how Luxbox focuses on Luxray GL. I have won against it, but it was interesting. Despite this, still, Garchomp C isn't going to be on its own most of the time. It is often played with other cards, like more recently, it has become popular with Dialga and Luxray, and even Palkia.

As for it is good or not, this card is very good and has true potential. That Poke-power can really be a game changer. Removing all damage counters from each of your Pokemon SP? That's surely is amazing! Then, you have an attack that can do 80 to anything? Well, sure, Palkia does the same thing, but this Garchomp can do this for fewer energy. Man, that card is one beastly card. It is definitely worth playing in an SP deck.

There are many decks that use Garchomp right now. The first deck that comes into mind is Luxchomp, an SP deck. This uses Garchomp and Luxray as attackers. The second deck that uses Garchomp is the Dialga/Garchomp deck, another SP deck. It uses Dialga and Garchomp as attackers. The third deck that has recently been played is the Sablelock deck, or the Garchomp/Honchkrow/Sableye deck. This once again uses Garchomp as an attacker, as well as Honchkrow G and Sableye SF as well. It also runs cards that are used for hand disruption like Giratina PL. Another deck that has recently been played using Garchomp is Gengar C, or the Gengar/Garchomp C deck. This was the deck that won first place in Illinois states in masters, and it uses Gengar SF and Garchomp C. The deck's most common strategy is to snipe, mainly on the bench. Another deck that can use Garchomp may be PalkiaChomp, or the Palkia/Garchomp deck. This deck came 4th in Midwest Regionals in seniors more recently. No, that Palkia deck wasn't Palkia Lock, but speaking of that, that card is often used in Palkia Lock nowadays. Indeed, there are almost a million metagame decks that use Garchomp right now.

3. What comboes can use it with? How so?

I would use Garchomp with all the cards that were mentioned above. That is, I would play Garchomp with either Luxray, Dialga, Palkia, or even in a fashion for Sablelock. For most of the time, I would use it with another Pokemon SP because it heals it without the need of a Poke-turn, and it also acts as an additional attacker. Of course, I would run the usual SP support with Garchomp, like Crobats.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you would give it that rating.

I would give this card a 5/5 rating for modified. This card is just one insane card. It, along with Luxray GL, are pretty much the best cards in the format right now as it seems. Garchomp has amazing healing powers, and it literally can snipe for high damage. Furthermore, DCE has greatly improved Garchomp as well. Indeed, Garchomp is just one powerful card, pretty much just as powerful as it is in the video games. Yeah, Cynthia sure owns one good card all right!

5. How's the artwork?

The artwork is just amazing. Garchomp truely shows his fighting spirit here. He really does look like he is jumping out of the card; however, I find the promo Garchomp C having the better artwork though. Still, Shizurow really did a good job making this Garchomp's artwork.

Guiding questions:
Is it worth being played? For 1 DCE and an Energy Gain, it can instantly snipe something for 80. And since this is seen in quite a lot of SP decks due to Healing Breath as well as Dragon Rush, then the question over whether or not this card is good is a no-brainer.

It is primarily used in any SP decks whose names end in -Chomp, but it can fit quite well into any SP deck.

Since Garchomp C LV.X's Dragon Rush attack can hit any of the opponent's Pokemon for 80 damage (at the cost of 2 Energy to self), it can snipe and one-hit quite a few techs, most notably, Claydol (who has only 80 HP and doesn't usually get much augmentation to that - he is usually Guarded). With 1 DCE and 1 TGI Energy Gain, he can attack pretty much instantly. Another combo that can be used is to Healing Breath your team, and then TGI Poke Turn the Garchomp later to allow repeated Healing Breaths.

I'd have to say 4.5/5; although it's best in SPs, it can do decently outside of them (read: Dragon Rush ftw).

5. How's the artwork?
It's jumping out to eat you. It's a cool artwork.

I second this.

I think it's a great card, seeing how you dont need to go through gible-gabite-garchomp because it's a SP. Its definitely worth being played.

Its used in mainly speed decks.
You could use it with Regigigas FB where regigigas' attack does 20x the number of pkemon SP in play.
I would rate this card a 4/5, -1 due do the energy removal after dragon rush.
5. How's the artwork?
Sickkkk.

i really like the healing breath from this pokemon ^ ^. it can be usefull when ur sp pokemon about to be knocked out....and it can hit bench with a e-gain and 1 DCE on it and with huge damage i think

Luxray gl lv x of course ! ! ! ! ! hahahaha

i use in my 2 sp deck luxchomp and the dialga infernape 4 lv x , basically this pokemon use only for healing and shoot the bench for the killing and extra easy prize ^ ^

5 stars since it is really a important card in all sp deck for me

5. How's the artwork?
it has a nice display i more like the pack version than the promo one ^ ^

1. Garchomp is a decent card on it's own, but is usually paired with other SPs to make use of healing breath for support.
2. LuxChomp, BlazeChomp, BlazeRayChomp, DialgaChomp, Sablelock, GengarChomp
3. it combos well with most SP decks for the healing power it gives and it's ability to snipe. The snipe is also great in many other non/partial-SP decks, as it allows you to take easy bench prizes and knockout key techs.
4. 5/5. One of the two winningest cards in the format.
5. The set artwork is great, as it kind of captures the jetlike feel that garchomp is supposed to have (5/5). I can't put my finger on it, but something about the artwork on the promo feels wrong to me (3/5)

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?Good. and yes,its worth being played.
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?it can be used in SP decks.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?idk...
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).4/5. Reason: it counters Mence X
5. How's the artwork
not very good,they could have done better.

1. It's a great card, but needs some support to make it a good deck. The power is AMAZING for pokemon sp, and it's attack is awesome!! You get to attack anything
for 80 damage, all for 3 energy (1 DCE + Energy Gain)!!!
2. It can be used in a huge variety of sp decks, like the most commonly played luxchomp, and almost every other sp deck!!
3. Sp, gengar SF, crobat prime, any other spread card that can assist with sniping.
4. 4/5. It is a great card when used in combination with other cards like luxray, but it's not so good on it's own.
5. 5/5. The artwork looks really cool!! It's like garchomp is lunging at you!!!! :)

Back