DPPt/HGSS Garchomp Moveset?

The Yoshi

Wumbo
Hi guys? I'm going to try to raise a compeditive Garchomp with EV's and everything.

A few questions:

1) Do I have to check IV's before I do anything with the Gible I can catch?

2) What EV should I focus on making larger the most?

3) What kind of moveset is best for a Garchomp?

Thanks!

1. You should. If his IV's stink, you want to know ASAP.

2. There are a couple sets. What role do you want it to play?

3. Again, depends on what you want him to do.

I know that it's weakest stat is Sp. Defense. My two options are to have a super defensive Garchomp sweeper, or to have a lightning speed Garchomp that actually has a chance against Weavile.

I was thinking of using Dragon Rush and Earthquake as its STAB's, and then some attacks to counter its weaknesses, like Flamethrower. Maybe..

just go with outrage/dragon claw (dragon rush missis to much) EQ, stone edge and fire blast/firefang/crunch

^Using Outrage would mean I have to use Persim Berry/Lum Berry. That's one option. Another is the White Herb/Draco Meteor strategy. I like the ideas. I'll definitely be using EQ, but Crunch seems a little risky. I think the moveset could be something like:

Draco Meteor
Earthquake
Flamethrower
Stone Edge

Then I would equip it with the White Herb. I think the most effective idea is the Choice Scarf/Dragon Rush, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks for the advice!

You can find EV's / movesets here for Garchomp. http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/garchomp

Best Moveset for Garchomp is.... Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Draco Meteor, and Dragon Rush in my opinion

I know that it's weakest stat is Sp. Defense. My two options are to have a super defensive Garchomp sweeper, or to have a lightning speed Garchomp that actually has a chance against Weavile.
No matter what you do, Garchomp will never have a chance against Weavile, unless it's holding Yache Berry - Weavile has access to Swords Dance and Ice Shard that will destroy Garchomp. (Then again, Garchomp only has base 104 Speed compared to Weavile's 125, so even without Ice Shard you can never outspeed it.)

There are actually a lot of ways to play Garchomp but Slickmario has suggested an incredibly good set - you give Garchomp two very strong physical STAB moves (it also gets Outrage via egg move from Dragonite or HGSS move tutor if you are so inclined instead of Dragon Claw - I don't use Lum Berry with Outrage since I'll be scoring a lot of KOs anyway), a move to help its Attack reach very high levels, and Sub to protect himself. I believe this set necessitates a bulkier Garchomp and not mindlessly dumping IVs into just Attack and Speed. The set works best with Tyranitar, since a TTar lead sets up Sand Stream and triggers Garchomp's Sand Veil, making him even harder to destroy.

Garchomp also has a few other options available like Fire Fang, Stone Edge, and Crunch, the former of which is incredibly helpful with dealing with threats like Scizor, and Stone Edge also has merit (not a lot of Pokemon can switch into that and not be heavily dented). Although, that mixed Garchomp set you suggested also works very well. What you really want to do is take advantage of type-trumping so Garchomp hits SE on as many things as possible (for his backup non-STAB moves at least).

Shadow Arceus said:
I really love SubSwords Garchomp. Other good sets are Scarfchomp and a DD set.

Garchomp doesn't get DD. (I know, that sounds stupid considering he's a dragon)

I wound never suggest running any special attack on Garchomp other than Fire Blast, which is useful for nailing Steel-types who can take your Dragon/Ground-type STAB for neutral, resisted, or immune damage (Ex; Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Bronzong).

Other than SubChomp, which is annoyingly wonderful with Sand Stream + Sand Veil, you could also run something like Garchomp with a Choice Scarf to make it a great revenge killer, or Garchomp with a Choice Band to make it hit like a truck. Garchomp can utilize a supporting moveset with Stealth Rock / Dragon Tail / Earthquake / (Protect or Aqua Tail) and an EV spread of 252 HP / 76 Def / 120 SpD / 60 Spe with a Jolly Nature. You could run that support set with his DW ability, Rough Skin, but Rough Skin + Stealth Rock is illegal. I really don't think Rough Skin is necessary, though, since Garchomp can probably only take three hits before being knocked out.

Oh, sorry. That's stupid considering how Crawdaunt gets it...this shows you that Ive only used Sarfchomp and SubSD. I must have confused him with Sally.

For IV's, it would be good to check them. I know one of the things I do on the DS is check certain EVs, to see how much EVs I need to give them. For example, if I have a Jirachi that would run 32 Speed EV's normally, but it only has a Speed IV of 29, that means I need to give it 8 more EVs to get to the same level it would normally be at (I'd give it 40 instead of 32.)

Make attack and speed bigger than most, since those are it's two biggest assets.

Garchomp: 252 Speed/252 Att/4 HP
~Swords Dance
~Dragon Claw/Outrage
~Earthquake
~Substitute/Stone Edge

depends on weather (see what I did there?) or not you're using tyranitar for Sand Stream. If yes, use Substitute for sure. If not, the last move is up to you.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with Subchomp, because I'm running a full Sandstorm team with Hippowdon and Tyranitar. My moveset will be like this:

Garchomp @ Leftovers
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Spe
Swords Dance
Substitute
Earthquake
Outrage

Yoshidude10 said:
Thanks guys. I'm going to go with Subchomp, because I'm running a full Sandstorm team with Hippowdon and Tyranitar. My moveset will be like this:

Garchomp @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Attack/4 HP 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed (You want to make it hit hard and strike as fast as possible. Taking hits is not your main priority.)
Swords Dance (Sorry, but Garchomp doesn't work as great as a nonboosted attacker.)
Substitute
Earthquake
Outrage or Dragon Claw if you don't like being locked into Outrage.

Any suggestions are appreciated. What item should it hold?

Fixed! It's not going to work as great without Swords Dance, imho.

Sorry, the EV's were a typo. It was 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe. The Stone Edge thing was a typo too. I'm going to go with Outrage, since it can OHKO a Hydreigon. Fixed.

Back