• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Gengar EX / Trevenant

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
After some success in recent local tournaments, this is the final list:

Pokemon:
  • 4 Phantump BKP (Ascension)
  • 2 Trevenant XY (Item Lock)
  • 2 Trevenant BKP (Nervous Seed)
  • 3 Gengar EX
  • 2 Wobbuffet PhF
  • 4 Unown AO
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 3 Wally
  • 1 Skyla
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 3 Dimension Valley
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 1 Computer Search (Ace Spec)
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Vs Seeker
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 3 Roller Skates
Energy:
  • 4 Mystery Energy
  • 5 Phychic Energy
Strategy:

The main strategy of the deck is to achieve T1 Trevenant (depending on the opponent I choose one or the other). Gengar EX hit'n run attack makes possible to deal damage while poisoning the opponent, while trevenant's attacks does nice damage (but no amazing) too. Wobbuffet helps blocking my opponent if I have a bad start and can finish opponnets for just one energy.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hi Javi Blizz,

Not sure on Gengar Ex since he is also weak to Darkness and provides a constant Lysandre target on the bench that can be abused in Darkness decks. I would prefer a pure Trevenant version with maxed out Burst Balloon. I would also focus more on Trevenant XY1 and run no more than one Trevenant XY9. The deck is quite decent with no ore than two Shaymin Ex and one Wobbuffet as a tech cleaner. I also think that your draw and search supporter line seems to be slow but that is in part attibutable to Pokémon line. If you feel that a tech to handle Darkness is needed consider a tech Jolteon line. It allows you to attack with Trevenant and still hit Yveltal for weakness.

Hi Dark Espeon!

I'm trying to get a third Trevenant XY, that's why I'm running 2 of both atm.

I used to play Gengar EX with different partners (Robo substitute, Sigilyph LT...) in the former standard format (BCR-On), so I decided to modify the deck with more recent cards, since is my favorite Pokemon.

I don't like playing shaymin EX. Yesterday, I won against Toad/Tina taking 4 prizes in a turn by killing 2 Shaymins (my opponent was Item locked and had wasted earlier her A.Z.)

Do you think it's okey to remove the 4x Unown?

Hi Javi Blizz,

You could replace the four Unown for one more Sycamore and one more N. I fact without Shaymin Ex I would run no less than 10 draw supporter.

Hi Javi Blizz,

You could replace the four Unown for one more Sycamore and one more N. I fact without Shaymin Ex I would run no less than 10 draw supporter.

Okey! I think the other 2 Unown will be replaced for one Wally and one compressor.
Do you think I should keep Raichu? Or another [L] type pokemon instead?

Hi Javi Blizz,

Hard to tell. Gengar Ex did not work that well for me. Was more successful with Trevenant on his own. Personally I would run Jolteon over Raichu since he turns Trevenant into an electric attacker and does not force you to give up on the lock.

Hi Javi Blizz,

Hard to tell. Gengar Ex did not work that well for me. Was more successful with Trevenant on his own. Personally I would run Jolteon over Raichu since he turns Trevenant into an electric attacker and does not force you to give up on the lock.

Oh, nice idea. I complettely forgot about the eeveelutions! If I go that way, I could change the 3x Float Stone for a 3x Silver Bangle. It also puts the prize trade in my favour if I quit the 3x Gengar EX for having more space. I'll think about it.

Hi Javi Blizz,

Consider and test Burst Balloon as a tool for Trevenant. He works real well with it. Four of them and one Eco Arm are Trevenant stables for me. In expanded you also have Rock Guard and Computer Search as Ace Spec options ;).

Would you first please update your deck list in your OP; so others can offer comments based upon your most current list.

I currently run a Trevenant-Gengar (one of my favorites) in the Standard format, but I am really looking forward to running it at an upcoming Extended format tournaments.

Updated

@TuxedoBlack , could you share your list here? Maybe I've forgotten any key card, so it could help :)
Following is my "v0.0" deck list which I will start testing next month:

Pokémon (18)
2 Dedenne (FFI 34) experimental; also helps a little against Yveltal decks
1 Espeon EX experimental
3 Gengar EX main attacker
4 Phantump
1 Shaymin EX only 1 - personal preference
1 Trevenant (BKP 65) experimental
3 Trevenant (XY 55) item-locking
3 Trevenant BREAK secondary attacker

Trainers (32)
1 AZ
2 Dimension Valley
2 Evosoda
1 Judge
2 Level Ball
1 Lysandre
3 N
2 Professor Birch's Observations
4 Professor Sycamore
3 Trainer's Mail
3 Ultra Ball
2 Virbank City Gym
4 VS Seeker
2 Wally

Energy (10)
2 Mystery
8 Psychic

The cards I labelled "experimental" are those I intend to test, but are considered "optional, possibly to be replaced." So, there are several card slots I will need to finalized later. Currently, there are several other cards I will consider, such as:

Meowstic (Ear Influence) - to move spread damage around strategically
Wobbuffet (Bide Barricade) - to serve as a tech to utilize spread damage
Max Elixir - to provide energy-attachment acceleration
I'm still in the very early stages, but looking forward to playing the final version of this deck.

I don't see Espeon EX here, as the main part of the game you'll be attacking with Gengar EX instead of spreading damage. The same for Meowstic.

Dedenne could work, but I think it doesn't seem as useful. Yveltal EX knocks you out using 2-3 energies (Dedenne does 80-120 without any tool, 120-160 with Muscle Band and 140-180 with Silver Bangle) and Yveltal deals you 60 damage without any tool for just 1 energy.

Wobbufett could be a nice addition, is one of the things I want to try. But also, consider testing Silent Lab (In that case, I don't think you should run Shaymin EX)

I don't see Espeon EX here, as the main part of the game you'll be attacking with Gengar EX instead of spreading damage. The same for Meowstic.

Dedenne could work, but I think it doesn't seem as useful. Yveltal EX knocks you out using 2-3 energies (Dedenne does 80-120 without any tool, 120-160 with Muscle Band and 140-180 with Silver Bangle) and Yveltal deals you 60 damage without any tool for just 1 energy.

Wobbufett could be a nice addition, is one of the things I want to try. But also, consider testing Silent Lab (In that case, I don't think you should run Shaymin EX)
In Expanded format, there are more Stage 1 Pokémon used, e.g. Eels. The ONLY intent of using Espeon EX is to de-evolve opponent's Stage Pokémon at an appropriate time to get multiple KOs. Meowstic serves a similar purpose by manipulating the spread damage for multiple KOs.

Dedenne mainly helps to setup the bench. From my experience, Dedenne has been useful to surprise attack an energy-loaded Yveltal EX, but its main purpose is to help setup the bench. Note: Yveltal decks are a really, really bad match-up for Trevenant decks. All decks have bad matchups.

Wobbuffet is a common tech used in a variety of Trevenant decks. I have not yet used it it at all.

If it's for setting up, I would run Emolga DEX/LT/RC instead. It also has call for family and it has free retreat. I don't think you'll see a loaded Yveltal against this deck

Updated with the most recent version of my list. After a lot of playtesting and two tournaments (5th place in one and 1st in the other one), this is the best thing a can make. It's biggest problems are Dark decks and mirror match, as my opponents should run a 3-1 of Trevenants instead of my 2-2 plus they play Trevenant BREAK. But with this list it's VERY easy to achieve a T1 Trevenant going first. Also, you could run -1 Unown +1 Jirachi EX to make it even easier ;)

Hope this help you guys, and thanks for your comments :)

The thing all Trevenant decks have to watch is the Shaymin EX counter. They can just keep running sky return every turn and there's nothing you can do because you never hit for enough damage. The only way to counter it would be N or Judge and hope they don't pull their Shaymin and a DCE, but also hitting one turn with Tree Slam or Silent Fear, followed by a shot from Dedenne should take care of one.

Back