Getting my girlfriend started into TCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Getting my girlfriend started

Kingdra/Donphan would be a good idea. It's simple and could be competitive. You could wait and see what wins worlds in Juniors, those decks are usually fairly simple.

Like I said before though, I (as a person who doesn't play at all really) think starting VERY basic is best. After all, she might find out that she doesn't even like the game. If it sticks, then you can give her more advanced decks. And then get her to join pb.

I managed to teach my friend how to play (put into consideration that he is a very smart individual...) by making him a Steelix Prime/Scizor Prime deck (in MD-on) and I pretty much made it the way I would if I were to use it. So it was pretty decent competitively and somewhat complex, but he caught on pretty fast. He even knew how to put Uxie to good use! He actually managed to beat me in a game or two. The point is, you don't have to go all that slow. Be confident in the person and sometimes they can figure out how to use a decent deck if it's presented to them. (But make sure you do a good job teaching.... Lol on a few occasions before jirachinick tried to etach this friend but he wasn't doing a very good job.... Then I taught him with a deck I made and he was fine. :p)

If you want to get here interested in pokemon dont start with the cards. I gave my girlfriend an old gameboy and told her she could start a new game on it then left her alone. She decided to try it out herself and in her own time, two day later i get a text saying I started playing it today and havent stopped for the last 4 hours. Then link in cards once she has interest in pokemon which is what its all about.

I took her to league Saturday, and she watched me play and stuff. (ZPS, of course)

Then she seemed to be really interested. On Tuesday i'm going over to her house, and i'll teach her the basics. (It's our anniversary, and she's cutting my hair, we're going to the harbor, finishing our project, and watching some movie)
I doubt i'll be able to teach her much.

But thanks for all of the comments. :3

If you have to you can probley find the list of theme decks and each card in it online and just make it out of your own cards.

konter_j8902 said:
Kingdra/Donphan would be a good idea. It's simple and could be competitive. You could wait and see what wins worlds in Juniors, those decks are usually fairly simple.

Well, the Junior winning deck wasn't very simple x.x
Unless you're already past this, I'd start her out with either a starter deck or a straight up Samurott or simple Donphan/Cinccino varient (no Yanmega.) Than go up to either ZPS or Reshiphlosion (both simple yet competitive decks.) And then when she gets the hang of those bring her up to some higher tier more complex decks (Maybe even help her make her own.)

Just give her absolutely any deck, and let her win! Use Pokemon as a time for you two to just hang out and kill time over. If you try and get her into competitive pokemon, that is a different story. (I would avoid that).

So I've encountered the same situation. My advice, don't try too hard. She's not likely to ever like the game as much as you do, and if you're not careful its easy for it to become a point of contention. Sad but true. :(

On an semi-related note, the average woman wears approximately 6 pieces of clothing. Draw your own conclusions.

^^ See, the internet has killed all imagination in the younger generation.

If six prizes and six pieces of clothing don't have any meaning to you in a card game, I am dissapoint son.

amisheskimoninja said:
So I've encountered the same situation. My advice, don't try too hard. She's not likely to ever like the game as much as you do, and if you're not careful its easy for it to become a point of contention. Sad but true. :(

On an semi-related note, the average woman wears approximately 6 pieces of clothing. Draw your own conclusions.

I LoL'd.

amisheskimoninja said:
and if you're not careful its easy for it to become a point of contention.

It's me or the Pikachu! YOU CAN'T HAVE US BOTH!

Cuthbert said:

If six prizes and six pieces of clothing don't have any meaning to you in a card game, I am dissapoint son.

From someone who's _done_ that, yes it does work fairly well.

Cuthbert said:

Did you come from heytrainer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back