• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gliscor / Dragalge / Shaymin-EX

LinX336

Aspiring Trainer
Hi guys, second deck posting. I wanted to share this as recently I've been having lot's of fun building speed decks. Any advice on this energy denial deck would be great.

Pokemon: 14
  • 4 Gligar ROS
  • 3 Gliscor PHF (Submission Hold)
  • 2 Skrelp FLF
  • 2 Dragalge (Poison Barrier)
  • 3 Shaymin-EX ROS (Set Up)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 40
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Colress
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Lysandre's Trump
  • 1 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt
  • 4 Acro Bike
  • 4 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 4 Crushing Hammers
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Trainer's Mail
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 1 Head Ringer
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 6
  • 3 Strong Energy
  • 3 Fighting Basic Energy
Strategy:

The general strategy of this deck is too lock in your opponents active pokemon whilst denying energy through Gliscor's Submission Hold. This does 20 damage for one fighting energy and disallows your opponent to attach energy from their hand to their active pokemon, combined with hypnotoxic lasers, fighting buffs, Dragalge's ability and hammers, the idea is too hold them there until ko whilst disrupting their bench.

Method:

First I battle Compress my supporters in this priority, Sycamore/Colress, Team Flare Grunt and Lysandre followed by AZ and possibly Lysandre's trump (if no VS prized) and game specific useless cards such as Head ringer if no ex and incomplete evolution lines etc. With Acro Bike, Shaymin and Trainers Mail the idea is to run into a VS Seeker and have a variety of options. AZ up a Shaymin, Team Flare Grunt the active or even Lysandre a bench pokemon with no energy. Getting a Gliscor up is relatively easy with the draw and at only one energy he's quick to set up. Using the odd Muscle Band/Strong Energy I can lock in an EX and win the prize trade.

Thoughts:

Pros;

This deck works relatively well, even without a poison lock most pokemon won't have enough energy to retreat or attack (a lot needing two) and sit as dead ducks without a switch, whilst I hammer the bench. Even the energised bench pokemon that comes out after a ko at worst get one prize card whilst just one Team Flare Grunt tends to set up the next lock.

Cons,
Blacksmith, Bronzong, Mega Turbo and any attacks that search for energy. That last ones not to bad if you're preventing your opponent from attacking. A lot of the time a Gliscor will be lost after a ko, with just 90 HP he is weak, and my opponent will often have some energy on the bench. Bats is also a terrible match up. Especially when combined with wobbufets ability denial. And of course running any EX you are suceptible to conceding two prize card with a quick Lysandre.

I've built this deck for speed and as such rely heavily on items. The notion being that denying energy from Seismitoad-Ex will keep the Quaking Punch at bay. I've dropped a Wally and Korrina whilst possible to compress in first turn and use, I often preferred a Team Flare Grunt or Sycamore. I've really struggled with the engine though. Shaymins are the quickest I can make this deck and get everything in at a decent level of consistency. I've tried dropping Shaymin for Scorched Earth but could never fit all the supporters and energy. Oh and just chatting to fellow players, the high battle compressors/ VS seeker low supporter rate does work. I incorporated it into a Ray deck and took 1st place at my local Play Tournament getting to under 10 cards consistently first turn! Try it out, but yeah any advice on this though guys would be cool :)

I was thinking too of adding Crawdaunt PRC to knock off energy but just don't think it could be pulled off easily. Another idea is to Lysandre out a bencher whilst the active is under 40 HP and use Absol ROS to get the bench knock out the turn after. But again clunky. Any streamlining advice would be great guys

While i heavily believe in lots of 1 of Supporters. Generally even with 4 Battle Compressor and 4 VS Seeker. You still want to play 4 Sycamore, unless of course you also rely on Jirachi/Shaymin for draw. If your 1 of sycamore gets prized. you are in a bad spot.

Yep this deck does use Shaymin/AZ as draw. Sometimes Sycamore is prized but then Colress is unlikely to be as well. Of course I'm suceptible to Silent Lab and Garbodor but should rarely get item locked if the decks working. I've literaly gone from the 4 Sycamore, 4 N engine to 4 Shaymin 4 Ultra Ball and I definitely need to find a happy medium for variety! Thanks for the thoughts :)

Back