• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Golduck SM with the help of Starmie EVO

YanmEli

Trash TCG Player with a Great Deck
Recently I've been working on a somewhat budget deck and I say budget because I don't think shaymin works well in the deck. This deck runs no EXs or GXs but rather a couple of BREAKs I have mentioned to get some testing in and it's working out for me a lot. Without further delay here is my Golduck/Starmie list.

Pokemon:16
Golduck BREAK (BKP):1
Golduck (SM):4
Psyduck (BKT):4
Starmie BREAK (EVO):1
Starmie (EVO):2
Staryu (BKT):2
Remoraid (BKT):1
Octillery (BKT):1

Trainers:35
Professor Sycamore (BKP):4
N (FCO):3
Pokemon Ranger (STS):1
Lysandre (AOR):1
Dive Ball (PCL):3
Level ball (AOR):3
Professor letter (BKT):2
Evosoda (GEN):2
VS seeker (ROS):4
Town map (BKT):1
Super rod (BKT):2
Bursting balloon (BKP):3
Eco Arm (AOR):1
Energy retrieval (AOR):1
Trainer's mail (ROS):4

Energy:9
Splash energy (BKP):2
Water energy:7

As of now this is the list I'm working with I know Starmie BREAK is really questionable but in testing the deck has a pretty bad matchup with Greninja BREAK. The strategy with this deck is to set up Golduck and Starmie as quick as possible so we can double jet for two hit KOs most of the time while using octillery for additional assistance in setup.
Please leave feedback and suggestions I'm looking forward to what you guys think.

You don't need Golducks BREAK at all. It sliterally useless, as you won't be able to actually use its ability often and with the new Giratina in some deck you won't get to use it much anyways. Other than that, your list looks pretty solid! Nice job man!

Golduck BREAK is more for an HP boost but honestly it's not very good in that respect either. I don't think Starmie BREAK is very useful in standard either due to the lack of BREAK cards in the meta on the whole. I question whether it actually makes Greninja any more winnable, maybe if they have all 3 frogs in BREAK at the same time, but even then the deck frequently runs max potions and you are not probably getting more than one break star off per game.

I think Glaceon-EX is a better tech option than the BREAKs for this deck that make the matchups where Golduck can't just blaze through your opponent before they get their strategy online much more doable.

1-1 line for Octillery is sketchy, you should run 2-2 otherwise you risk your draw engine being prized. I think Shaymin is still better than Oct if you have it just because it takes up less deck space, but since you're running so many dive/level balls the difference is marginal.

Thanks for the feedback it really did help I'll make sure to post an updated list in the days to come

I would suggest to cut out the 2 Evosodas for another Dive and Levelball since you can search all Pokémon with Diveball anyway and nearly all Pokémon with Levelball.

Another option is Silent Lab. You don't run any basic Pokémon with abilities and you also don't run any Stadium Cards.
Some cards to cut out for this could be: Golduck BREAK, Eco Arm, Town Map

I would also switch Staryu BKT with the one from BREAKpoint, since the one from BREAKpoint doesn't have any retreat costs.

I like this deck alot, I play a very similar list sometimes on TCGO for fun and I think it could have some potential in tournaments, too.

I actually run Manaphy Ex in my Golduck deck. I know its a two prize card but I like the free retreat. I agree with the 2-2 line of Octillery its almost a must if you are running Octillery. Also, I always run two Lysandre in any deck IMO its a must. I also chose to run Brock's Grit over the two super rod so I could add a copy of teammates.

Golduck has free retreat anyways. Even if you tech something like Glaceon or Regice AOR in, you typically don't want to switch them out since they just spam crystal ray/resistance blizzard until they win.

Back