Guitar Hero vs. Rock Band

Which game series do you perfer?

• Total voters

Kapu Riki

Spilling the T, sipping the Tapu Cocoa
Just two simple questions:

Which game series do you perfer and why?​

As for me? I perfer Rock Band. The graphics are, in my opinion, are better, with a variety of different styles, like music videos and strobe effects. The series is about to hit their 1000th song, which are all playable on Rock Band 2. There is, also, a great variety of songs, from hardcore metal, like "Hammer Smashed Face" to classics like "Walking On Sunshine". And finally, who doesn't like rocking out to "Ghostbusters" with LEGO characters? :p

Rock Band, because the game mechanics arent dumbed down to easy-mode, they dont add extra notes for parts that arents even related to the guitar, and because Rock Band is actively supported with download content instead of having a bajillion different versions. They're just milking the money cow. I'd much rather pay individually for songs that I know that I'd like. Admittedly, LEGO Rock Band and The Beatles: Rock Band exist, but I pick the better of two evils. That being said, if Rock Band 3 was released tomorrow I'd go out and buy it because I can rest easy knowing that it'll be supported for years to come.

I liked Guitar Hero simply it was the first to market extremely well, but I can't deny how better playable the Rock Band series is. Some of the songs don't always appeal to me, but the fun and playability pushes it over the edge for Guitar Hero.

dmaster out.

Rock band seems to be the most versitile of the two. There are more downloadables, and have better songs in general. The market is bigger for rockband, and they seem to be expanding moreso than GT. Rockband is also more precise on notes.

RB>GT

juliacoolo out. (That felt so weird)

Rock Band is the far better designed game... considering that Harmonix is a company of nothing but musicians... i also like the oodles and oodles of DLC Rock Band has...

HMXHenry (from RockBand.com/forums) said:
OVER 1,000 SONGS NOW AVAILABLE FOR ROCK BAND™ PLATFORM

Rock Band Reaches Unprecedented Milestone By Offering More Music and Artists Than Any Other Music Video Game Via Disc and Downloadable Content

BOSTON / NEW YORK – Nov. 25, 2009 – Harmonix, the leading developer of music-based games, and MTV Games, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), today announced that Rock Band now has more than 1,000 songs available for consumers to play within the Rock Band Music platforms for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system and Wii™. Featuring the music of more than 390 bands, the Rock Band platform is, without question, the industry leader in providing the best selection of interactive musical content, songs and artists.

“When we launched Rock Band two years ago, we made a promise to create a music gaming experience that delivered on a weekly basis more songs and artists than ever imagined,” said Alex Rigopulos, co-founder and CEO of Harmonix Music Systems. “We’re extremely proud to pass this remarkable milestone of over 1,000 songs in Rock Band and will continue to innovate and bring more of the best music to Rock Band players all over the world."

"The library of great songs available to players on the Rock Band platform is vast and continues to grow," said Paul DeGooyer, Senior Vice President of Electronic Games and Music at MTV Networks Music Group. "This milestone reflects a tremendous amount of hard work from the world-class teams at Harmonix, MTV Games and at our artist, management, label and publishing partners."

Rock Band delivers content in a variety of unique ways. Fans can access content included on the disc of Rock Band 2 and export other discs into their music library including Rock Band, LEGO® Rock Band, and a variety of track packs, which employ the disc export technology that Harmonix pioneered. Additionally, players can select from weekly downloadable content, now in its 105th consecutive week, all created by the dedicated Harmonix audio and art teams.

To date, Rock Band fans have downloaded more than 60 million songs from the Rock Band Music Store, and coming soon, Harmonix and MTV Games will be delivering new content via the Rock Band Network, a new suite of tools that allow bands and labels of all shapes and sizes to author their songs into downloadable, playable Rock Band tracks available for sale. With more than 1,000 tracks available to date in the standard Rock Band platform, the Rock Band Network Music Store will exponentially increase the number of songs available, further securing MTV Games and Harmonix’s position as the leading provider of downloadable content for music-based video games.

For a complete list of all 1,000 songs, please visit http://www.rockband.com/music/songs or see the below post, which outlines some fun Rock Band platform song stats.

Crazy stuff. :]

Don't even count Band Hero as a game, it is not. It is an awful waste of money that people think is "cool". K, no its not. Guitar Hero 1+2 is good, and the others suck. They just poop out a new guitar hero every like 2 minutes.

Juliacoolo said:
Rock band seems to be the most versitile of the two. There are more downloadables, and have better songs in general. The market is bigger for rockband, and they seem to be expanding moreso than GT. Rockband is also more precise on notes.

RB>GT

juliacoolo out. (That felt so weird)

You mean GH, not GT... right?

Yes, I meant GT. As for Band hero, it seemed like a pretty good spinoff game till I saw Talyor Swift in the commecial. I see it as one of those games that belong on the wii. What they did, is take the concept of GT/RB, and tried to make it friendly to all audiences. The problem is that the preppy girls who sing at the back of the school bus every day aren't the kind of people who spend hours playing a video game. It seems that all these rediculous manipulations eventually end up on the wii. Given the wii's reputation, that is where the game deserves to be.

Rock Band copied Guitar hero. nuff said

Other than the drum/mic thing, the bass and Guitar thing was pretty much a ripoff. I say they are about even but having had GH first for years I have to go with GH.

Brawler said:

Other than the drum/mic thing, the bass and Guitar thing was pretty much a ripoff. I say they are about even but having had GH first for years I have to go with GH.

Wouldn't you say Neversoft/Activision copied Harmonix?

Guitar Hero was made, originally, from Harmoxic. Now that GH is Neversoft/Activision, Harmonix made Rock Band. Rock Band came out a little after Guitar Hero III. But then, here comes Rock Band 2 and Guitar Hero 4, and "OMG", Guitar Hero comes out with [a failed attempt] to band play. :p Who copied who again?

Seth1789110 said:
Don't even count Band Hero as a game, it is not. It is an awful waste of money that people think is "cool". K, no its not. Guitar Hero 1+2 is good, and the others suck. They just poop out a new guitar hero every like 2 minutes.
Juliacoolo said:
Yes, I meant GT. As for Band hero, it seemed like a pretty good spinoff game till I saw Talyor Swift in the commecial. I see it as one of those games that belong on the wii. What they did, is take the concept of GT/RB, and tried to make it friendly to all audiences. The problem is that the preppy girls who sing at the back of the school bus every day aren't the kind of people who spend hours playing a video game. It seems that all these rediculous manipulations eventually end up on the wii. Given the wii's reputation, that is where the game deserves to be.

Lol. I'm not going to lie; I want Band Hero. I like the setlist of it [I know, shoot me] and I like the style of it. Yeah, both Guitar Hero 5 and Band Hero are pretty much the same game. You can even export the songs between the two games! I like the graphics of Band Hero better than Guitar Hero 5. I like how they are brighter. Yeah, the color scheme is way directed to girls, but whatever. :p The songs are very poppy, for sure, but the percentage of songs I like in BH is greater than in GH5 [46.15% > 27.38%]. Plus the GH5 songs I do want are exportable, so I could always make a deal with my friend. Also, a nice chunk of those songs are already in RB. :]

I prefer Rock Band over Guitar Hero for the drums alone. While Guitar Hero has had drum kits come out, I prefer the Rock Band set by a mile.

I also like the fact that Rock Band is geared for multiple players, unlike the standard Guitar Hero. The fact that you can download songs to RB puts it even further ahead....and lets not forget the 20 song packs you can get for an OK price.

Overall, I'd say RB > GH. And no, I don't believe Rock Band copied Guitar Hero. Do note that Guitar Hero started to come out with World Tour and Band Hero after Rock Band had gotten popular.

ROCK BAND!!! all the way, cuz it has better songs than guitar hero. some songs in guitar hero have notes that don't even match the music and kinda throws me off.

Brawler said:

By that logic, Guitar Hero copied Guitar Freaks. If that's the case, then Rock Band didnt copy Guitar Hero, they copied Guitar Freaks/Drummania.

Brawler said:

You know that Harmonix, who makes Rock Band made Guitar Hero 1+2, then sold the series to Activision, who then copied HARMONIX's game rock band by implementing singing and drums as well? And then they OVERDO IT by making a new game every like 2 seconds. Guitar Hero "copied" Rock Band. Rock Band was created by Harmonix who did not copy their own game design so...

Back