Gyarados Counters.

Afro-G

League of Legends: GabTheLacMan
What are some good counters against Gyarados? I'm looking for something that can fit into a SP deck, so basic or stage 1 pokemon are highly prefered. I'm thinking about playing Fan Rotom with Lucario GL. Please don't suggest Luxray GL Lv.X because I don't have one, and I'm probably not getting one anytime soon.

I'm not sure if there are any other good counters, but any help is appreciated.:)

Fan rotom would be...pretty bad. Your DCE are precious if you are using Garchomp, so you really can't sacrifice any of them. I would say DO NOT tech pokemon against Gyarados. It doesn't work that way. You cannot prevent gyarados from staying in play... they have enough outs to have 6 dos in a game. I would say it really depends on which deck you are using. If you are using a sablock/chenlock variant, you CAN (don't recommend) play 4 judge and a looker to burn your opponent's Sableye out of Collector and just win the game from there. That is probably the most viable option, but you NEED to start with Sableye/have one in your hand. It would also help in other matchups a little bit IF your deck can take the abuse it will give itself. Once again though, the way to beat Dos is to prevent them from hitting play. Once it is in play, playing measly pokemon that can 1/2 shot it will be worthless because they will die ASAP and dos will come back in play.

No Rotom. Going for 120 for 3 energy isn't really that great of a counter when you may have to discard it and it's 10 HP away from the OHKO (and that's without an E-Belt).
Honchkrow SV works somewhat well, but I think the Gyara player would have ways to get it back discarded (Seeker/SSU, then Regice/Junk Arm) and then would realize they should load up their bench to stop that from happening again...

Absol Prime and Metagross SV benched wins the game.

Oh, in SPs? Hum... Sableye and 4 Judge, cuz you don't have Luxray.

~L_X_F

@Glaceon: Absol Prime's Body puts 2 damage counters on a Pokemon when it is played onto the opponent's Bench. Metagross SV's Poke-Body reduces all Pokemon in play's HP by 20. That makes Magikarp have 10 HP. Absol Prime does 20 HP worth of damage; therefore the Magikarp is KO'd as soon as it is played.

Your opponent is basically stuck unless they pull a Contest Hall or use Call Energy (or something to the effect). Even then Magikarp's HP will be still dangerously low.

That, of course, is contingent with you setting up a Metagross before they can get a Gyarados in play...which is almost impossible! However, once the first Gyara is gone, it will prevent any future attack.

Absol says that when a basic opponent pokemon is put on the bench, it does 20 damage to it. Magicarp only has 30 hp. With Metagross, -20 hp and any magicarp will be dead before they can evolve.

If you are playing a Luxchomp, you can just ignore Gyrados and snipe their bench. And anyway, what can you do against it? you can have some prizes by power spraying some Regice, but with the new Junk arm...

@wang zitong: If you'll notice, I just said that in my previous post...

Gyarados is extremely hard to beat, if you do not run any kind of trainer lock or Luxray. Since I run Blazechomp/Blazelock hybrid, I use Mismagius PT as my counter. (Or is it SF?) The one that has Upper Hand gets rid of Tail Revenge. Obviously though, Warp Energy can be a problem, but I do run Initiative and Chatot G so they can't draw into them.

Thanks for all the feed back guys.:) After a lot of thinking I've decided to drop any Gyarados counters from my deck, and instead put in other cards to boost the deck's consistency. I've decided it's not really worth the space, and the only true Gyarados counter for SP decks is Luxray GL.

Thanks again.:)

LXF was talking about a Frost Rotom, not a Mismagius.

Not sure if it's already been said bc I'm just lurking, but Raichu GL has been called the Poor Man's Luxray X.

Back