• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Gyarados

Avalarion

Unown Q Master
While thinking about what deck to build, I looked around my cards and figured I still have most of the cards needed to build Gyarados. This is what I came up with:

Pokemon (21):
4 Magikarp SF
3 Gyarados SF
4 Sableye SF
2 Mesprit LA
2 Uxie LA
1 Azelf LA
1 Combee SF
1 Regice LA
1 Dialga G PL
1 Dialga G Lv. X PL
1 Unown Q MD

Trainer (30):
4 Professor Juniper
4 Seeker
4 Super Scoop Up
3 Pokemon Collector
3 Broken Time-Space
3 Junk Arm
2 Pokemon Communication
2 Expert Belt
2 Pokemon Rescue
1 VS Seeker
1 Luxury Ball
1 Palmer's Contribution

Energy (9):
4 Special Darkness Energy
3 Warp Energy
2 Rescue Energy

Since I probably won't make it before 25th, the strategy already includes new rules.

Sableye is my preferred starter. Donk if possible, if not hopefully use Collector for Karps and then Impersonate Juniper = all ready for action.

My techs of choice are Mesprit and Dialga G to turn off all those pesky Poke Powers and Poke Bodies, slowing my opponent. I don't know if it's the best choice, since soon there will be a lot of Abilities around and Powers/Bodies will see less use so any other tech ideas are welcome.

Other than that, typical Gyarados strategy - discard Karps, swing for 60/80 or 90/110 and hopefully not take more than 1-2 attacks to kill opposing 'Mons.

Nice deck, but I suggest some changes:

Put in:
1 Junk Arm (to much helpful, you have to max them out)
2 Rescue Energy (to much helpful, you have to max them out)
1 Uxie L.X (if you don't have one, put 1 Crobat G to help donk)

Take out:
1 Palmer's Contribution (you don't need to take so many pokémon from the discard pile)
1 VS Seeker (not needed)
1 Dark Special Energy (4 are too much. In my Sableye Donk Deck I only have 3)
1 Seeker (3 are enough)

This list is so beautiful, it looks like something I would built. I'm proud, however I'd try this.
-1 Gyarados (Really don't need 3, dead draws)
-1 Warp Energy
-1 Professor Juniper (3 will be enough)
+2 Rescue Energy, IMO best part of G-Dos, always useful, amazing recovery you should always have one in hand in case you need it quick, due to Tail Code or something.
+1 Azelf, great if 2 Karp are prized, or a karp and an Azelf, amazing to draw out power sprays, trust me.

I like your list. Just asking for clarification, why no Crobat G?

PS: I have been casually testing this list and VS Seeker seems good here. Also, don't you find it tough to get the Dialg X line up and running with only 2 Communications to search for the X?

i didn't look online yet to see what Professor Juniper does (the card, not the videogame character), so can you please tell me what she does, also

-1 BTS

+1 Junk Arm

If you have too many bTS, you have no advantages in the late game, and your opponent will, probably, depending on ehat deck he/she's playing. always run 4 junk arms in gyarados, as it helps get back trainers and discards magikarps to power up gyarados.

By, the way, Gyarados RULES!!:D

supergamerfreak said:
i didn't look online yet to see what Professor Juniper does (the card, not the videogame character), so can you please tell me what she does, also

-1 BTS

+1 Junk Arm

If you have too many bTS, you have no advantages in the late game, and your opponent will, probably, depending on ehat deck he/she's playing. always run 4 junk arms in gyarados, as it helps get back trainers and discards magikarps to power up gyarados.

By, the way, Gyarados RULES!!:D

4 Junk Arm is not necessary with Juniper:

Discard your hand and draw 7 cards. (Supporter)

And 3 BTS is the absolute minimum that should be run in Gyarados, imo. It is too important for quick setup and recovery.

Thanks for all the replies!

@supergamerfreak: As ctaylor33 said, I think 3 BTS are the play. Also, I think 3 Junk Arms is optimal number.

@ctaylor33: I used to play Gyarados with heavy SP tech - 1-1 Luxray, 2 Crobat G, 4 Poke Turn and after that I figured that Crobats never did much good in here. I might reconsider, but for now I'm opting to play no Crobats. And nope, there isn't any problem with getting Dialga out.

@Vulpix Yolk: Hehe, thanks. I don't agree with any of the cards you suggest removing, but that's me. I'll probably have to find some space for additional Rescues. I kinda like the 2nd Azelf idea, but I'm willing to take the risk of running one. Besides, there's literally no SP (except for my ChenLock) in my area, so I ain't afraid of no Power Sprays. :p

@Hagane: As said above, I don't think 4th Junk Arm is needed, but 2 more Rescue Energy seems good. Uxie X is not needed, and there would be too much trouble getting out 2 Lv. X in a game. As for cards you suggest removing - I might consider taking out Seeker. Palmer is an option I'd rather have than not have. VS Seeker is sick in this deck, especially with Junk Arm. And as for Special Darkness... sometimes it might come in handy, to finish something off with Sableye and donking, so I'd rather keep 4, especially since it's unsearchable.

Also, a general question - do you think taking Combee out for a Revive would be a good idea?

Back