Ruling Hand-eye Cordination

Celebi23

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
This is just a theoretical situation. A player benches a card, but keeps his/her hand on it. After looking at the game board, they realize it's a bad move. He/she says something like, "No way. That would be stupid." They lift their hand in an upward motion, trying to pick up the card. However, they either drop it or their hand misses the card. What would happen? Would it have to stay benched? Thanks.

This is a tough situation but I would say that if you see him drop it and he says that it was an accident then he could take it back.

But if someone wanted to win so badly they would call a judge.

But overall, since his/her hand released the card it would have to stay in play.

Hope I helped.

Theres really no definitive answer. It really depends on the TO and how generous you feel at the time. I've been in a situation where someone played down Garchomp LvX, didn't use Dragon Pulse, attached an energy, then remembered about Dragon Pulse. We called a judge over, and the judge said it was up to me whether or not she could use the Power. If it was obvious that they meant to pick it up, but kind of missed, I would think that the judge would say that its ok for them to pick it up. Plus, do you really want to make yourself seem like the jerk who decided to not let them pick up something when they meant to? It's an ethics/spirit of the game kind of thing in my, and my TOs, opinion. But like I said, it really depends on if you feel like letting them take it back, and what kind of person your TO/judge is.

I think it's all a matter of intent. If they're doing it to be malicious (although how revealing a card in their hand is a bad thing I don't know), then I'd say no. If they're saying "wait, no" or something like that, it's obvious what they meant to do. It's not like it's the launch button to a nuclear missle... once it goes down it's reversable within reason.

If you want to be strict, you could say "Your hand released the card, thus tough luck". Its why I always advice players to play their cards in such a way that they can correct errors swiftly, by keeping their cards somewhat in their hand while playing it down (Its what I do, at least). But if you don't mind, you can let him/her correct it. It'd be your call if you want to call a judge over for it. The higher ranked the tournament will be, the tighter they will be on this.

Benching a pokemon or attaching an energy to a wrong pokemon, and stuff like this I've always considered minor, and allowed them to take it back, especially if they realize their mistake right away, regardless if they lifted their hand from the card or not.

That's just how I go about it.

If she/he releases his/her hands from the pokemon(benched) It will be counted I think. If she/he didnt release his/her hands than she/he can get it back.That's what i know

Thanks for your answers everyone. My question, though, is if your opponent was not willing to let you take it back but a judge directly saw it, what would they say? I think that if it was completely obvious that was their intention in the first place they should be allowed to no matter what their opponent says.

/me refers to his previous post.

It really depends on the judge, and what kind of tournament it is. Like I said in my first post, my judge came over and said something to the effect of: "Keep the spirit of the game in mind, and will it really matter that much?" There really is no straightfoward answer. It also depends on the players, if you're the one who trys to pick up something, then your opponent says, "No, your hand left it, it stays down." Then you call a judge over, they could give the final decision to the opponent.

In short, there is no one answer. It depends on the people involved, and how high level the tournament is.

Here's a fun analogy.
Two seasons ago, my Gardevoir Ex-Lock deck was playing a Flariados. I attached energy to a Ralts, only to find I should've given it to Swablu the same turn. My opponent gets uptight about it and says "No, you attached, so tough.". In game 2, she attaches a Fire energy to her Spinarak, and then wants to move it to an Eevee.
Needless to say, she didn't get her move. It really depends on opposition, tournament, sotg levels of both players, atmosphere...since its not really a real ruling.

From what I checked I didn't see a ruling.

One time, I absent-mindedly attached a DRE to a Treecko. I immediately detached it and attached it to another Pokemon. It that case, since Treecko was not qualified to hold the DRE, I was able to do that.

In your case, I would let that person pick it up, because it was obvious that his/her real intent was to pick it up. It would take a real strict person to make the card stay on the bench.

First of all, if they dropped the card, and it's obvious they dropped it, I'd let them pick it back up. As many have said, actually playing the card down is a tricky situation. you don't know for sure if they intended to play it, or if they really want to take it back.

Okay. Thanks everyone. So what the gist of this seems to be is that there is no true, standard, consistent answer.

What about things like the "rubber band move" (The move wherein you are about to attach the energy to a pokemon but decided not to so you put it back to the hand but you haven't released the card yet.) Is that legal?

Sasarai said:
What about things like the "rubber band move" (The move wherein you are about to attach the energy to a pokemon but decided not to so you put it back to the hand but you haven't released the card yet.) Is that legal?

As long as you don't take your hand off, I believe it is. Kinda silly to show your opponent what you have in your hand though. ;)

Back