Have religious people officially gone too far?

I honestly don't think religion is the source of this.... It's culture. That would answer Josh's question. Not offence to anyone, but many of the "Southerners" tend to be kinda..... well you know. Of course not all are like that, but if you've ever been flipping channels, and see one of those southern Methodist TV preachers, you can tell they are....unique. What I laugh at is how narrow minded parents are.

42 chocolate said:
Speaking of religious people going to far...
(This has NOTHING to do with Pokémon btw):
http://objectiveministries.org/kidz/
O_O
Picture from the website:
atheistwarning.png

I clicked on this link and it gave my computer a virus...
EDIT: Nevermind, it's one of those things where it pretends you have a virus and tells you to install anti-virus software (which of course, is actually the virus) just fair warning though.

Dark Marc said:
Before they make an article on a website maybe they should re-read it and make sure they know how stupid they are making themselves look.

Of course they are taking it too far.

i absolutely love the irony of this post in this thread.

OK, guys:

I'm not sure if many other people noticed, but this was made about 10 years ago. Also, I don't see the irony either...

the idea, dark marc, is that the OP is making themselves look extremely stupid and ignorant by posting an article that is over a decade old that was written by a couple extremists and using it as a blanket statement for "religious people"

i hope that's more on your guys' level of understanding

esperante said:
the idea, dark marc, is that the OP is making themselves look extremely stupid and ignorant by posting an article that is over a decade old that was written by a couple extremists and using it as a blanket statement for "religious people"

i hope that's more on your guys' level of understanding
Yes, there was no irony.

Quote said:
Strange as it may sound to American ears, demonic possession is no longer confined to distant lands. Today, government schools from coast to coast are teaching students the skills once reserved for the tribal witchdoctor or shaman in distant lands. Children everywhere are learning the pagan formulas for invoking "angelic"6 or demonic spirits through multicultural education, popular books, movies, and television. It's not surprising that deadly explosions of untamed violence suddenly erupt from "normal" teens across our land.
Quote said:
1. First, look at God's view of contemporary toys, games and cartoons. As a family, read Scriptures such as Ephesians 5:8-16, 6:10-18 (the armor of God); Philippians 4:8-9; and Colossians 2:9. Compare them with the values encouraged by Pokemon and other role-playing games.

2. Share your observations. Spark awareness in a young child with comments such as, "That monster looks mean!" or "That creature reminds me of a dragon," along with "Did you know that in the Bible, serpents and dragons usually represent Satan and evil?"

3. To teach young children a Biblical attitude toward evil before they learn to delight in gross, ugly characters, make comments such as, "Who would want to play with that evil monster? I don't even like to look at him. Let's find something that makes us feel happy inside."

4. Model wise decision-making. Tell your child why you wouldn't want to buy certain things for yourself.

When your child wants a questionable game or toy, ask questions that are prayerfully adapted to your child's age, such as:

1. What does this game teach you (about power, about magic, about God, about yourself)? Discuss both obvious and subtle messages.

2. Does it have anything to do with supernatural power? If so, what is the source of that power? Does it oppose or agree with God's Word?

3. What does it teach about violence or immorality and their consequences?

4. Does the game or toy have symbols or characteristics that link it to New Age or occult powers?

5. Does it build godly character?
quote said:
"It seemed to us that these cards had some sort of power," continued DiAnna Brannan. "Another nine-year-boy had stolen money from his mother's purse ($7.00) to buy more cards. When questioned, he confessed and said he had heard the devil urging him to do it. The family quickly gathered in prayer, then saw God's answer. Both the boy and his little sister burned their cards, warned their friends, and discovered the joy and freedom that only comes from following their Shepherd.
Uh, how do these compare to my post?

yes. look at pokemon power, the man's calling pokemon satanism, personally that guy's hucked up on some drug's to assume such dangerous ideal's without merit studying exactly how dangerous pokemon is. yes they have all of these powerful and destructive ability's but there just like everyone else they just want to live a life of relaxation and peace. really on BS clearly state's that 90% of our lives is BS (even what i'm doing right now) but I don't care, really it's my life and if I want to be a Pokémon prof I will be a Pokémon prof, if I want to play pokemon go away cause i'm pwning this peep. seriously I can go around making abseen statement's about religion turning everyone into religion hater's, but do you see me doing so? no, why? because I have enough dignity to say that it doesn't matter what we chose to do as long as we have pride in ourselves (and we aren't doing illegal thing's), so really they should go back to there home's, stop watching pokemon, and attack something else that we allow us all to grow in some way not attack something (and here I thought religion was peaceful). cya

Meh, Krucifer's was better. This one wasn't near as funny to read.

But anyway, as ten other people have said before, this is only the view shared by extreme Christians. Hey, guess what, I'm a Baptist! That must mean I think Pokemon is evil! (or so the OP thinks) The fact that this was written 11 years ago doesn't make your case any better. There are a lot of these kinds of articles dated 1999 or 2000. Notice how they all died out around 2001/2002. (Well, Krucifer's was dated 2006...but that's by far the latest I've seen) And contrary to your belief, there isn't only "Extreme Video Games" or "Extreme Anti-Video Games". There is so much generalizing going on it's disgusting. I agree with esperante 100%.

And btw, the Spiritual Safety Tip is probably a joke.

Juliacoolo said:
I honestly don't think religion is the source of this.... It's culture. That would answer Josh's question. Not offence to anyone, but many of the "Southerners" tend to be kinda..... well you know. Of course not all are like that, but if you've ever been flipping channels, and see one of those southern Methodist TV preachers, you can tell they are...unique. What I laugh at is how narrow minded parents are.

Ahem I am from the south. And I don't think that is all true but

It unfourtunatlly is true lol

T

Back