Help Help countering Metagross [VIV]

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
I have a deck that relies on slowing/preventing attacks from my opponent's Pokemon by moving one of their Pokemon with no energy to the active spot and trying to keep them there and slow their attack with energy denial and Confusion. If my opponent plays Metagross #118 [VIV], all his Pokemon have no retreat cost. Aside from knocking out Metagross, is there any other way of dealing with him? Perhaps it is the nature of all decks that they are vulnerable to at least one card but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
You can turn off his ability a few ways I think, or you can knock it out… but it certainly seems like something of a counter. It’s not commonly played I don’t think, so probably not worth worrying too much about?

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Not too many ways to do it, no, since it's not a Basic Pokemon, or an EX/GX, nor does it have a Rule Box, but yeah, Galarian Weezing [SHF] would do the trick. Not much else though.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Not too many ways to do it, no, since it's not a Basic Pokemon, or an EX/GX, nor does it have a Rule Box, but yeah, Galarian Weezing [SHF] would do the trick. Not much else though.
I guess you're in Standard? Expanded has lots of options. :)

Really, though, I'd just ask why you're worried about Metagross (VIV). I don't think I'd ever imagine seeing that in a tournament, even an online one; maybe in Ladder if your Elo isn't very high, but otherwise I don't think I've ever seen it in play. A Stage 2 is just too complicated to get out for that purpose, air balloon or whatnot is easier.

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
I'm playing Expanded. Aside from Galarian Weezing, I could only find Wobbuffet [PHF] and the Pokemon that can achieve this if they have a memory capsule attached. Did I miss any that would affect a non-Basic, non EX/GX/V Pokemon?

Well, just played a tournament earlier on PTCGO and noticed this weakness in my deck. It's true, I only cam across this once. Another time some had two Keldeo EX out which achieved the same thing, but at least Power Plant could deal with that, assuming you thought it was worth the effort to put it in of course.

handsomep

Aspiring Trainer
Here's an interesting situation. If I have Wobbuffet [PHF] and my opponent attacks with Victreebel's [UNB] Gastro Acid attack, I assume that would temporarily turn off Wobbuffet's Bide Barricade ability which in turn would reactivate the abilities of all other Pokemon in play until the end of my opponent's next turn, correct?