Help with Gen 2 team?

Coolnerd

Aspiring Trainer
My friends and i decided to hold a special tournament among ourselves.
Basic OU rules, but with the additional condition that all six pokemon on your team must have been released in the same generation.
I'm hoping to get a little help balancing this team out.

This is my team:

1) Ferrotress

205.gif

Ability- Sturdy
Item- Leftovers
Bold/252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA

Moves- Rapid spin, stealth rock, Hidden power Ice, Volt switch

Rapid spin and stealth rock are self-explanatory, with sturdy allowing Ferrotress to get the Latter off for certain at the beginning of the match.
Volt switch hits Flying-types and water types; but more importantly, Ferrotress's slow speed allows me to use volt switch as utility, to switch into a different pokemon *after* my opponent's pokemon has hit ferrotress, allowing the newcomer to come in without taking a free hit.
Hidden power Ice covers Landorus (Both formes) and dragon types, particularly those 4x weak to ice. I would run Gyro ball instead, but with the lack of ice-type moves in my other pokemon, i needed to cover a base.

2) Blissey

242.gif

Ability- Natural cure
Item- Leftovers
Bold/252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA

Moves- Toxic, Aromatherapy, flamethrower, Softboiled

Being so "Healthy" (bu-dum tsss) and special-tanky (and with the EVs put into regular Def) Blissey makes for a great Support. Aromatherapy allows me to heal the status effects of each pokemon on the team (except Celebi, who clears it upon leaving with Natural Cure anyways). Toxic is used to wear down the opponents, while flamethrower hits grass types and the un-poisonable ferrotress and scizors for damage. Softboiled allows Blissey to hold on as long as it can.

3) Espeon

196.gif

Ability- Magic Bounce
Item- Light Clay
Timid/252 Spe/ 252 SpA/ 4 HP

Moves- Reflect, Light Screen, Psychic, Shadow Ball

Dual screens lets espeon support the main 3 attackers of my team (Celebi, Hitmontop, and tyranitar) and keep itself alive to use one of its two attacks.
Psychic is, of course, it's most powerful Stab move, while Shadow ball is used to hit Alakazam, Latios/Latias, and Metagross (who would resist psychic 4x, while shadow ball would be normal-effective).
Magic bounce makes for a nice finishing touch, repelling the likes of Roar, leech seed, and spikes.

4) Celebi

251.gif

Ability- Natural Cure
Item- Leftovers
Modest/ 220 HP/ 252 SpA/ 36 Spe

Moves- Leaf storm, Recover, Psychic, Earth Power

Sadly being left out of the Uber tier beside Ho-oh and Lugia, Celebi is both a pokemon of many strengths...and many weaknesses. I use it as a Hit-and-run offensive type, with Leaf Storm and Psychic granting STAB (and the latter allowing Celebi to hit the likes of Dragonite and Salamence), and Earth power hitting Steel-types and fire-types, such as heatran, and anyone else who would resist the first two moves.

5) Hitmontop

237.gif

Ability- Technician
Item- Life orb
Adamant/ 252 Spe/ 252 Atk/ 4 HP

Moves- Mach punch, Close Combat, Fake out, Stone edge

"Oh, Hitmontop is only really good as a spin attacker"
Don't listen to them Hitmontop, i won't do that to you.
Fake out, combined with life orb and technician, does great damage while forcing the opponent to stall a turn. Mach punch is in a similar boat, a priority tech-boosted with the addition of STAB. Close combat can OHKO many of the targets in OU, while Stone edge is useful for the ones it can't.

What helps this pokemon is that it tends to be so... unexpected. When you see hitmontop, you don't immediately expect this kind of set-up.

Note: i'm likely to replace Stone edge with sucker punch, to be able to hit psyhic types and stay in touch with the Priority essence he has with fake out and mach punch. Plus, tyranitar has stone Edge, so i have those flying types covered.

6) Tyranitar

248.gif

Ability- Sand stream
Item- Choice band
Adamant/ 252 Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Spd

Moves- Superpower, aqua tail, Crunch, Stone Edge

Raw. Power.
That's what Tyranitar brings to the table, and he's not afraid to show it. Without exception, Each move he has is tailored to hit different Types of pokemon, and hit them hard; And with Aqua tail, he doesn't have to worry about the other Sandstorm inducer, Hippowdon, causing him too much trouble.
Though, i do tend to flip flop between Choice band and Scarf. Which would be better, do you think?

I usually start with Forretress to set up stealth rocks early. Volt switch into either Celebi or Hitmontop and cripple their early pokemon with powerful attacks; or, Volt into Espeon and get in early screen or two in.

Self analysis- Sadly, the most redundant (and therefore needing to be replaced or altered) pokemon is Celebi itself. The only thing 'different' it brings to the team is leaf storm and earth power. I think another pokemon can probably do its job better, but the 'Same gen pokemon' Condition makes it harder to think straight.

On another note, it's a pleasure to meet you all :D

This is a bump to bring this to the top.

I'm still looking for help with this team, please. Anything is appreciated

Forretress: You aren't really going to cause much damage with HP Ice. Its Special Attack is way too low for that. You'd be better off with Spikes because that will compliment most of the rest of your team.

Hitmontop: Replace Stone Edge with Sucker Punch. This will let you hit faster Psychic-types.

Tyranitar: Unless you run Speed EVs, it isn't worth it to use Choice Scarf on it. The extra power is what Tyranitar needs.

King Arceus said:
Forretress: You aren't really going to cause much damage with HP Ice. Its Special Attack is way too low for that.

Hitmontop: Replace Stone Edge with Sucker Punch. This will let you hit faster Psychic-types.

Tyranitar: Unless you run Speed EVs, it isn't worth it to use Choice Scarf on it. The extra power is what Tyranitar needs.

i definitely agree with the hitmontop and tyrani advice. but what do i do about celebi?

Well you could take a couple routes with Celebi. There is a Nasty Plot set. If you did that, you'd give up Recover for Nasty Plot then replace Leaf Storm with Giga Drain.

You could also try a Subseed set. It depends on what role you want Celebi to have.

King Arceus said:
Well you could take a couple routes with Celebi. There is a Nasty Plot set. If you did that, you'd give up Recover for Nasty Plot then replace Leaf Storm with Giga Drain.

You could also try a Subseed set. It depends on what role you want Celebi to have.

If i left him on, i'd probably do the nasty plot. But if you were to replace him (if you were making this kind of team yourself), what Gen 2 Sweeper could do his job better?

Raikou could do decent. It has very high Special Attack and Speed. It is faster than Lati@s.

Raikou@Air Balloon or Leftovers
Pressure
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 4 Def
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / the rest 31s
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Ice
Substitute
Calm Mind

By combining Thunderbolt with HP Ice, it forms the perfect Boltbeam coverage. Calm Mind helps it both offensively and defensively. Substitute is helpful against Pokemon that like to cause status problems. It also helps ease prediction. Air Ballon can be used if you want to avoid Earthquake until it takes a hit. Leftovers is if you want it to be more bulky and works better with the Pressure + Substitute combo.

Don't forget Weather ball sets. When running T-bolt, HP Ice, Weather ball and Aura Sphere (usually with Life orb or Expert Belt) it can threaten most OU weather summoners, (usually) out-speed and KO the gen 5 Genies, and wreak havoc elsewhere with an excellent variety of super-effective hits. Note that Weather Ball and aurasphere are from a gen 4 event that requires Raikou to be Shiny with a Rash nature, but you generally don't miss the spees of the Timid sets too much considering Raikou sits on base 115 speed in the first place. Since you might encounter it (since Drought Nintales + Chlorophyll Venusaur are both gen 1 species), it may be worth noting that after the Sleep clause is active, you can OHKO Chlorophyll Venusaur in the Sun with Weather Ball if it tries to set up a Growth boost (I have done this many times myself, so I know it works). Here's the export:

Raikou @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Aura Sphere
- Weather Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Back