• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

HGSS-on Reshiboar/RDL -Help Me Improve My Deck!!-

sorasin

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone, I'm sorasin, and am a new player to the Pokemon TCG scene. I thought I'd post here to get some help with fleshing out my deck as well as getting tips on how to get better.

Let me know what you guys think, any constructive feedback is appreciated!

Pokémon: 20

4 x Reshiram (PR-BW04)
1-1 x Rayquaza/Deoxys Legend (UD-89 & 90)
3-2-3 x Tepig (BW-15)/Pignite (BW-17)/Emboar (BW-20) + Emboar (BW-19)
2-2 x Vulpix (HS-87)/Ninetales (CL-17)
2 x Cleffa (CL-24)

T/S/S: 26

4 x Pokémon Communication
3 x Energy Retrieval
2 x Plus Power
4 x Junk Arm
1 x Fisherman
2 x Rare Candy
3 x Pokémon Collector
4 x Prof. Oak's New Theory
2 x Prof. Juniper
1 x Pokemon Reversal

Energy: 14

2 x Rescue Energy
2 x Lightning Energy
10 x Fire Energy

Strategy:

Basic Reshiboar strategy applies here. Get Abiliboar out as fast as possible and load up Reshirams to hit with Blue Flare each turn, meanwhile getting RDL ready to take the last two prize cards when necessary. Ninetales is a tech for draw engine, Cleffa for hand refresh and Emboar 19 as a back up closer in case RDL is prized or unavailable. I'm running the Rescue Energy in order to bring back Reshirams should I need to.

replace 4 energy retrieval with 4 fisherman

replace 2 x dual ball with either 1 more Professor Oak's, Professor Elm's Training Method, or Poke Ball ( Since you already have 2 pokemon collector you need a card that will help you search for evolutions too because dual ball only allows you to search for basics).

Noooo, do not replace Energy Retrieval for Fisherman. Energy Retrieval is a trainer and it works fine. It's not worth giving up your turn's Supporter for Fisherman. I recommend keeping Energy Retrieval. And keep Reshiram at 4 please.

I recommend also:
-1 Energy Search
+1 Professor Juniper

With Juniper, you get more draw power and you have high odds of drawing an energy with that.

That's my advice. Hope that helped :).

Darkrai said:
Noooo, do not replace Energy Retrieval for Fisherman. Energy Retrieval is a trainer and it works fine. It's not worth giving up your turn's Supporter for Fisherman. I recommend keeping Energy Retrieval. And keep Reshiram at 4 please.

Fisherman is a lifesaver when you are down to an Energyless Emboar and need 4 energy from the discard pile to power it up for the win. This is based in my real game experience.

RobertBenjamin said:
Fisherman is a lifesaver when you are down to an Energyless Emboar and need 4 energy from the discard pile to power it up for the win. This is based in my real game experience.
I understand where you are coming from, however, in a proper deck, Emboar isn't an attacker at all. I mean, if it's a lifesaver, then maybe you run 1 if you can't do without it. With 4 Pokemon Commuincation, 2 Pokemon collector, and 2 Dual Ball, I'm pretty sure you're practically always gonna have another Reshiram on the bench.

Darkrai said:

I recommend also:
-1 Energy Search
+1 Professor Juniper

With Juniper, you get more draw power and you have high odds of drawing an energy with that.

That's my advice. Hope that helped :).

Thanks, that actually helped a lot. I haven't really had a need for that Energy Search and an extra Juniper would really help mill out unnecessary cards late game. What do you think about adding another Cleffa and another Pokemon Collector?

RobertBenjamin said:
replace 4 energy retrieval with 4 fisherman

replace 2 x dual ball with either 1 more Professor Oak's, Professor Elm's Training Method, or Poke Ball ( Since you already have 2 pokemon collector you need a card that will help you search for evolutions too because dual ball only allows you to search for basics).

I prefer Energy Retrievals to Fisherman. They work faster, I can use more than one per turn, and I can even Junk Arm them if I need to.

As for having no Elm's Training Method, I typically have an easy time finding an Emboar more often then not. With Cleffa, Oak's New Theory, and Ninetails' Roast Reveal, I refresh my hand and go through cards rather quickly. I may end up throwing some back in there eventually, but I haven't had a need to so far.

I've playtested with/against this exact decklist a lot, and every now and then it (often enough to be a problem) draws into no energy in the beginning game. This obviously ruins it against faster decks that have disruption techs. Are there any alterations one could make (looking at the OP's decklist) to increase the statistical percentage of drawing into energy without ruining the deck's overall consistency?

In addition, I've made the following changes to my deck and I have updated the original post to reflect that:

-1 Energy Search
-1 Plus Power

+1 Prof. Juniper
+1 Cleffa

SlimJim said:
I've playtested with/against this exact decklist a lot, and every now and then it (often enough to be a problem) draws into no energy in the beginning game. This obviously ruins it against faster decks that have disruption techs. Are there any alterations one could make (looking at the OP's decklist) to increase the statistical percentage of drawing into energy without ruining the deck's overall consistency?

I'm hoping the addition of another Cleffa and another Juniper will help make my deck more consistent. More refreshes = better chance at getting energy/energy acceleration.

I would drop both Dual Balls and 1 Retrieval for 1 Fisherman, 1 Collector and 1 Fire Energy. You want at least 1 Fisherman in case of trainer lock, and collector is better than dual ball in early game.

I would also take a look at replacing the Oak's or Juniper for Sage's Training. Getting an early one can help you get an extra fire energy or the Ninetails to start roast revealing into a bunch of cards.

You're also going to have to fit in a couple Reversals/Catchers and Switches. You want to be able to pull up your opponent's basics early and get rid of them. Switches are useful in case your Emboar gets brought up, you don't want to waste 4 energy to retreat it.

SlimJim said:

i personally use interviewer's question to deal with that. you can drop a pokemon communication and 2 dual balls for interviewer's questions and playtest it.

-1 Dual Ball
+1 Professor Oak's New Theory
-1 Energy Retriever
+1 Fisherman

Energy Retriever is more consistent in general, but you are going to have a lot of unneeded Supporter slots late game when you already have set up, and it can get you what you need quickly. Also, in a deck with Ninetales, you are going to burn through your deck fairly quickly, and while providing amazing set up, PONT also prevents deckouts depending on the size of your hand.

SMP said:
I would drop both Dual Balls and 1 Retrieval for 1 Fisherman, 1 Collector and 1 Fire Energy. You want at least 1 Fisherman in case of trainer lock, and collector is better than dual ball in early game.

I would also take a look at replacing the Oak's or Juniper for Sage's Training. Getting an early one can help you get an extra fire energy or the Ninetails to start roast revealing into a bunch of cards.

You're also going to have to fit in a couple Reversals/Catchers and Switches. You want to be able to pull up your opponent's basics early and get rid of them. Switches are useful in case your Emboar gets brought up, you don't want to waste 4 energy to retreat it.

I took your advice and added in a Pokemon Reversal, as well as dropping both Dual Balls and an Energy Retrieval. I also added another Collector. As for an extra Fire Energy, I decided that it was not needed just yet. I feel pretty comfortable at 10 Fire Energy. A Switch or two would be nice but I'm not quite sure where to fit it in at the moment. Maybe -1 Pokemon Communication, +1 Switch?

I'm also considering -1 Prof. Juniper, +1 Sage's Training, but again I'm not really sure about that one.

Pokemunkulys said:
-1 Dual Ball
-1 Energy Retriever
+1 Fisherman

Energy Retriever is more consistent in general, but you are going to have a lot of unneeded Supporter slots late game when you already have set up, and it can get you what you need quickly. Also, in a deck with Ninetales, you are going to burn through your deck fairly quickly, and while providing amazing set up, PONT also prevents deckouts depending on the size of your hand.

This was some great advice. I did exactly what you said, essentially. I also decided to add a Badboar in case my RDL is prized.

I made the following changes to my deck and the OP has been updated:
-1 Energy Retrieval
-1 Revive
-1 Tyrogue
-2 Dual Ball

+1 Fisherman
+1 Pokemon Collector
+1 Pokemon Reversal
+1 Emboar (BW-19)

i'd minus junk arm for another rare candy or a twins and maybe think of putting pichu in deck for early setup

Back