How do you store your collection?

vilebaseball said:
furiouswildcat said:
I have been collecting for way to long and have found out that keeping cards in boxes or tins (without any sleeves) isnt very smart. air and moisture seem to find there way in and start to mold up and soften the cards ,as if starting to decompose. so I started putting them in a whole bunch of ziplock bags, pushing out the air , then sealing them . then I put them into boxes or tins. thats only for my commons/ uncommons though. rare holos I keep in binders , and my ex's and lv.x's in sleeves/ toploaders.

You may want to buy a dehumidifier then. I've been collecting since the Base Set, and I've always just put them in cardboard boxes in my basement, no problems. Unless you plan on putting everything in a plastic baggy, it's something you may want to look in to...

never even had heard about them . ive heard of humidifiers but not that. are they expensive ?

furiouswildcat said:
vilebaseball said:
furiouswildcat said:
I have been collecting for way to long and have found out that keeping cards in boxes or tins (without any sleeves) isnt very smart. air and moisture seem to find there way in and start to mold up and soften the cards ,as if starting to decompose. so I started putting them in a whole bunch of ziplock bags, pushing out the air , then sealing them . then I put them into boxes or tins. thats only for my commons/ uncommons though. rare holos I keep in binders , and my ex's and lv.x's in sleeves/ toploaders.

You may want to buy a dehumidifier then. I've been collecting since the Base Set, and I've always just put them in cardboard boxes in my basement, no problems. Unless you plan on putting everything in a plastic baggy, it's something you may want to look in to...

never even had heard about them . ive heard of humidifiers but not that. are they expensive ?

Uhh, not really sure. We've always had ours as long as I know. Maybe start by finding out the humidity in the area you store them before you buy anything though...

vilebaseball said:
furiouswildcat said:
vilebaseball said:
furiouswildcat said:

Uhh, not really sure. We've always had ours as long as I know. Maybe start by finding out the humidity in the area you store them before you buy anything though...

i dont know how to find out humity exactly, but still looked them up online . the average price seems to be $100+. we dont even have a working heater in our house, so this probably wont be an investment anytime soon. i guess its still ziplock bags for me...what do you think the humidity under a bed is ???

I store my cards in my binder (In Numerical Order) and then I store my cards in regions in my Tins. I put my deck into my Heatran tin.

furiouswildcat said:
I don't know how to find out humity exactly, but still looked them up online . the average price seems to be $100+. we don't even have a working heater in our house, so this probably wont be an investment anytime soon. I guess its still ziplock bags for me...what do you think the humidity under a bed is ???

No clue. While I hate this website... *links*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity

For the sake of not continuing to go off-topic, and because I don't know much more than I've already said, this may be a conversation best pursued with a parent.

Sounds like the majority of you are doing essentially the same thing as myself. I was really hoping to hear about a system that someone has come up with that stores their cards nice and safe, but also makes them easy to search through so that deck building or simply browsing the cards doesn't take hours of time.

I did some Google searches and found a few pre-fabricated cardboard boxes designed to hold collectible cards. These seem to be the best bulk storage option available, if you want to spend the extra money to get them. Although this still doesn't solve the search / browse issue of holding the cards in boxes.

Cheffords said:
Sounds like the majority of you are doing essentially the same thing as myself. I was really hoping to hear about a system that someone has come up with that stores their cards nice and safe, but also makes them easy to search through so that deck building or simply browsing the cards doesn't take hours of time.

I did some Google searches and found a few pre-fabricated cardboard boxes designed to hold collectible cards. These seem to be the best bulk storage option available, if you want to spend the extra money to get them. Although this still doesn't solve the search / browse issue of holding the cards in boxes.

If you use the ones I linked you to, they are very easy to flip through (assuming you leave a bit of wiggle room in each row), just like pieces of paper in a filing cabinet.

Yeah, those are what I found (sorry, I think I was Googling at the same time you posted your link). I found them at this online store too: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/catp1-Trading+Card+Boxes.htm They have many options and even a sorting tray which seems like it might be useful for deck building.

Thanks for the info about them being good for flipping through.

Well
I've also been collecting since...well Base/Jungle (never opened a Base Pack, I just got all my Base Cards from trade's/offloaded collections) and I used to store them just on a deck on my desk, then I moved to a dried milk carton (a friend suggested it, hey, it worked for a bit). Yet I was envious of everyone who had a binder, I was young, I didn't know where to get them. So I used an old empty photo album for a bit, I thought it was fairly clever. Then I found this black 2 by 2 official folder which I used for many years. My collection was larger then that, so what I did was use a Pokemon shoulder bag a relative got in America for me, tore out the innards (it was a Gameboy Holder with slots for the games) and stored all the undisplayed cards in there, although I do recall using an unused lunchbox once.

In 2007, my friends ex-boyfriend gave me his cards in his binder. For the first time I had a proper binder, but it was a while before I stole the sleeves, threw out the binder (it was covered in stickers which I didn't want) and stuck them into a normal one, only it was a 2 ring binder. Only about 3 months ago my friend gave me a binder filled with cards with spare sleeves did I finally have a 3 ring binder. Only I have so many cards I had to use the 2 ring for some of them, as well as the Pokemon Bag to store all my excess energy, Base and Jungle Cards. I also have 3 original decks still with everything in them, except a few cards I needed...
A simple "I use a binder" probably would have sufficed, but I tend to waffle.

I store my cards in a different way. I have multiple binders where all the cards i have are in set order, so that way i know what i am missing. I then have 8 other binders where i keep trades and cards needed for decks (ie i have 4 gible, gabite and then garchomp) so that way i can build anything with ease and then folders for all the stupid rh's so i can get rid of them quickly. All of my trainers and energy are kept in separate tins for the same reason. Then i have all my uncommons and commons (and crap rares) in a booster box that corresponds to the set its from. (the older ex series boxes were so much better than the new dp ones). then anything after that goes into tins. Once the cards are out of rotation i have a large box that i keep away from everything else to put them in. I used to just have a mess of cards in piles all over the room but 1 of my friends came around and organised it all.

I have LV X's in one binder...I have all of them :p SO that works.

And I have a HUGE binder organized by the set symbols in order of the collector #. IE 37/132

I recently traded in like 2000 cards I didn't need.
So now all my cards (except rares) and sleeves fit into one nice long and narrow box.
My rares are now in a binder.

Cheffords said:
Yeah, those are what I found (sorry, I think I was Googling at the same time you posted your link). I found them at this online store too: http://www.bcwsupplies.com/catp1-Trading+Card+Boxes.htm They have many options and even a sorting tray which seems like it might be useful for deck building.

Thanks for the info about them being good for flipping through.

Sure thing. At one point I had almost 75,000 total cards, and had to access them daily to find certain ones. As long as you sort them within (either know where things will be located, or put an index card with a label in between) that should do the trick.

What I do is just have a giant bin for all my illegal cards and keep my newer cards and/or decks in deck boxes and rubber bands and then I have a binder for all of my rares that im not using.

I fit all my cards in one binder. I'm hoping to win a binder at CC so I can put my holos and rev-holos in them.

I use a binder, but I bought a small...ish cardboard box that helps to store all my commons, uncommons, and cruddy rares (ex, DP Pachirisu).

Cheffords said:
I bought like 10000 Vs. cards just for that same box...

For my deck stuff, I searched though all of my doubles (DP-->) and got out the evolution lines to all the usable Pokemon the put each line in a single slip, and then into a tin to flick though, same as all the useable Trainers, no Moms Kindness in there :p Takes like 5 minutes to make a deck... :D

Prof. Shinx said:
For my deck stuff, I searched though all of my doubles (DP-->) and got out the evolution lines to all the usable Pokemon the put each line in a single slip, and then into a tin to flick though, same as all the useable Trainers, no Moms Kindness in there :p Takes like 5 minutes to make a deck... :D

That's a good idea (keeping the full evolution line together) because it would definitely make assembling a deck go quickly.

I have way too many cards for a single tin, and I find tins to be somewhat cumbersome to stack on a shelf, and having multiple tins is not desirable.

Back