How is PokeBeach like the real world?

Luckyfire

Aspiring Trainer
I have been wondering how PokeBeach is like the real world.

Suppose the admin is like a president in the USA. The super moderators are the presidents of each state, and the state is like a forum, and each thread are like discussions that you sometimes chat with a group that is chatting. Each member is like a human. Each post is like a sentence that you speak. And moderators are the police. Makes sense, doesn't it? :)

Anyway... post here about how PokeBeach is like the real world! :)

Except that states don't have presidents and in the USA we actually get to vote on things.

LuckyPokeGirl said:
Suppose the admin is like a president in the USA. The super moderators are the presidents of each state,

*headbang*

Not to mention that there are other people on this forum besides Americans...

Pokébeach reminds me of school. Admin: Principle. S-Mod: Teachers. Mod: Student presidents/whatever. Then there are people who are popular, and people who are disliked. It helps me get through the day to think of it that way, the more reality I take in, the sicker I get.

Pokebeach is the government.

They're uber-secretive about things that they really shouldn't have to be, and they don't listen to output from members at all; they just do random things and expect us to like it.

...At least that's how it WAS. It's getting steadily better, I'll give them credit.

Forum: Fish Tank
Admin: Owner of the Fish Tank
Super-mod: Sharks
Mods: Loricariidae
Users: Carp

My picture! :)

/me looks up Loricariidae

You diabolical man, you

pokebeach just reminds me of every other forum out there. cept christian ones. lol.

there are kids, then mature kids, immature ones, then adults. the cycle goes on again with adults. lol.

then there are kids who think they know more than the adults. >_>

bah. the only thing that is similar to the real world here, is how its like high school all over again. pfft.

Chief Zavala said:
bah. the only thing that is similar to the real world here, is how its like high school all over again. pfft.

What? I'm in middle school. There are some middle school kids out here. (no offense, I was just trying to prove my point)

Now I'm thinking this in the fishy way:

Pokebeach- Big tank
Admin- Owner and feeder of the fish
Super Mods- Technology that help the fish survive
Mods- Grown-up fish who guards the fish and bites anyone that isn't the owner.
Members- Fish that live in the tank
Forum- huge meetings where the guard fish guards
Threads- Big bubbles that can't be heard

Nope, I'm only joking. Just wanted to make you laugh. :p But this is how the fish world looks like in my view. :p

PokeBeach is more like a convenience store where people loiter outside on a weekend evening.

Chief Zavala said:
then there are kids who think they know more than the adults. >_>
Sad* thing is, there are children that are smarter than adults. Especially in real life, but here too of course.

* It's not sad that the children are smarter, it's sad that the adults are stupid.

LuckyPokeGirl, unfortunately I haven't laughted at any of your posts so far, but many of them make me want to cry. I guess that is an achievement, too, so congats! ^^

alla dem younguns, with thar heads so big wif air
why don't they remember them good ol' days

It's more of a testament to the fact that, although growing older is mandatory, growing up isn't, necessarily.
LuckyPokeGirl said:
What? I'm in middle school. There are some middle school kids out here. (no offense, I was just trying to prove my point)
That doesn't have anything to do with his statement. You haven't been through public high school, so you don't understand his statement.

Power corrupts. The end.

Then there's also some of those very cool and friendly people that you wish would apply to everyone, but no, they have to be the 99%.

Zyflair, remember that moderating is in the end just doing dirty stuff (or not, if you don't do your job), so if your dream is not to keep the forums clean (as it might of course be...), it's nothing that cool. Cool people are cool anyway. Moderators sure get involved in changing the forum though (at least the should), so if the forum is a dear subject to you, it has it's own benefits. On the other hand again, if things run as they should, being a moderator should restict your freedom of speech a bit, so... make your own final judgement.

Edit: Power Corrupts are never cool. :( I don't have much experience of the mods over here, so I can't say anything on that though.

Teal said:
Sad* thing is, there are children that are smarter than adults. Especially in real life, but here too of course.

* It's not sad that the children are smarter, it's sad that the adults are stupid.

LuckyPokeGirl, unfortunately I haven't laughted at any of your posts so far, but many of them make me want to cry. I guess that is an achievement, too, so congats! ^^

its not about being more intelligent.

I thought you would say that, and I know it's not what you said. But I feel like you were talking about kids being precocious. It's pretty much a very similar thing in the end. I think you are underestimating (some) children with that statement.

Teal said:
Zyflair, remember that moderating is in the end just doing dirty stuff (or not, if you don't do your job), so if your dream is not to keep the forums clean (as it might of course be...), it's nothing that cool. Cool people are cool anyway. Moderators sure get involved in changing the forum though (at least the should), so if the forum is a dear subject to you, it has it's own benefits. On the other hand again, if things run as they should, being a moderator should restict your freedom of speech a bit, so... make your own final judgement.

Edit: Power Corrupts are never cool. :( I don't have much experience of the mods over here, so I can't say anything on that though.
I don't need to be reminded that moderators do all the work. I'm very aware of that fact even way past my moderating days here. I also know that moderators are not at liberty to express everything they wish to concerning the forums itself...

Wait, what in the world did I say that got you started on this?

Let me give you guys some of my experiences as a mod. It is HARD work... for both greens and pink. I'd like to think of it as greens are the employees of a company, pinks are the bosses, and WPM is the CEO. Being a mod is hard work, and often, it is a thankless job. Our hard work gives you all a large benefit, however. We don't have to work hard to give you all so much content (the site would survive even if we didn't), but our blood, sweat, and tears has (hopefully) created a PB forums that you all would want to come back to.

When people say that power corrupts, it is only partially true. Being a mod that actually works hard is stressful, I've felt that stress already. It is very easy to give into that stress and do something stupid with your powers as a mod. Even so, I feel that our hard work is getting us somewhere, so I keep on fighting to provide the best content I can... and I hope that other mods feel the same way as well.

So yeah... PB is like a business
WPM-CEO
Smods-Bosses
Mods-Employees
Normal Members-Customers who don't pay a dime! :D

Back