Pokemon Ideas for a Pokemon MMO

jb2909

Aspiring Trainer
Am I the only one who want a MMO of Pokemon?

With the release of Mist of Pandaria (the new extention of WoW) I'm always on my pets and I try to improve them and when I was thinking: why Pokemon doesn't want to do the same? I mean, I think a MMO can be very good.
I see it like WoW actually with pet battle. You can travel an open world and battle Pokemon that you meet. You can talk to trainers to battle them. Each cities will have their arena with badges.

They can put in it some games like races between Pokemon and exclusive event during one week for exemple to catch a legendary Pokemon(For example catch a Mewtwo only during 1 week per year).

You can have talent tree too. For example you can choose science and in it poison, lightning or other thing. In this you can improve your Pokemons with your badge. When you have one badge you can have access to this tree and spend one point in this tree. (so 1 point per badge + 1 point per member of the elite 4) With points, you can have for exemple all your Lightning Pokemon have +1% Speed of something like that.

When you begin the game, you could choose the region where you want to start and you can travel in this region first (the server will be the region, so if you want to begin in Jotho, you will go on Johto server). You begin with a choice of the 3 starters of your zone. When you defeat the Elite 4 of your region, you can go in others regions and collect badges of the others. Depending of your server, levels will change for the regions. For example, your starting region will be from 1-45, when you defeat the Elite 4, you can go in regions with pokemons from 45-100. Each regions should be divided by zones with one big city in each zones. Each zones should have Pokemon with a certain level. For example, in your starting zone, there will be Pokemon lvl 1-2 but when you will be near the Elite 4, pokemons will be 40-45.

When you begin the game, you can choose to play like a normal trainer or like a team rocket member. With this, you can have battlegrounds like 3v3 or bigger battles. This mode should be like Pokemon Conquest.

maybe, they can put Dungeons in it, this mode will be like Pokemon Dungeon, you will choose one of your Pokemon that will go in a dungeon with other players and try to defeat the dungeon.

But can this game decrease sales of DS games?
Maybe, but they can give one month free on the purchase of the Video Game and an exclusive Pokemon (for example if you buy Pokemon White, you will have Zekrom that you can't catch in the MMO). So, all Pokemons exclusive to a video game will stay exclusive like Groudon, Kyogre, Zekrom, Reshiram, Black Kyurem, White Kyurem, Lugia, Ho-Oh, etc...
They can make the games intercative between each others. With Dream World, we saw that it was possible. So, if you play the DS game, you can unlock items or transfer Pokemons to your MMO game.
If they put it 15$ per month, I think it will be fair.

They can put the TCG online in this game too. I don't know...

Do you think it's silly or is it possible for Pokemon to develop such a game? Pokemon, if you are reading this, please take notes and develop this game! Pokemon generation is now around 20-25 years old. It's no more kids. Now, a lot of people around this age are playing MMO. So please, make my dreams real and take my money!

RE: Pokemon MMO

Pokemon's adult fanbase is creepy enough as is. This would only make it worse.

And on a less blunt note: Young children are Pokemon's primary target, and a WoW style MMO's are rarely played by youth.

"when you are playing remotely with someone very far away, obviously online, using the Internet like that is a really great option and it works great for that purpose, but with the Pokémon games, we really like to focus on face-to-face communication, and in-person communication, playing with people in the same space. One example might be like people from around the world come to the Olympics and have this huge event and that’s really exciting. While online play is a feature we also like and want to have in the games, encouraging this in-person face-to-face communication is something we want to continue to promote in our games."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/17/gamefreak-talks-pok-233-mon-s-first-numbered-sequel.aspx

they don't seem to like the idea.

Neither do I.

Yes it's always been something that I've wanted since I first started playing MMO's years ago
I doubt it would ever happen,but I'd love it so much

I somehow find the thought extremely disturbing (at least how you describe it) and I would have linked you the same interview as Mitja did.

From my experience, most MMOs are simply terrible and make it downright impossible to accomplish anything without spending hours trying to recruit people to help. I know that's the point, but it would be bad for Pokemon because the franchise always seemed focused on casual gameplay more than competitive strategy. WoW goes overboard with exactly that, which is what I don't to see Pokemon get into.

In all honesty, I think a Pokemon MMO would be cool, but not the way it's described here.

I've talked about this with way too many people to go into it in detail again. A Pokemon MMO is kind of a taboo subject.

Well there are fan made Pokemon MMOs out there if you know where to look. Some people might know what I'm talking about.

Snorlax said:
Well there are fan made Pokemon MMOs out there if you know where to look. Some people might know what I'm talking about.

Yeah but these aren't very good to be honest..

NidoJosh said:
Yeah but these aren't very good to be honest..

They've been made better. Yeha, I'd argue that almost every one is... bleh, but Pokemon World Online still does kinda neat stuff.

I have been thinking this for years and years..
What I find to be crazy, is people say Nintendo's primary focus is towards the younger kid fan base.
But when you go to a large pokemon TCG tournament, the masters division (the oldest division I think its like 15+) is the largest age group in pokemon existence. So why they wouldn't try to please the older groups or go on and try to capture more older gamers is beyond me. I would go for the people that have jobs and that would be willing to pay for these types of things. Rather than gain a 6 year olds interest and have their mommy and daddy blow $30 a month on it..

It probabaly wouldn't be nintendo's smartest move. More likely, Pokemon's current styled games should just continue to increase the level of wireless and online until social interaction is more built in to the core gameplay experience.

As people said, there's that silly PokeMMO

But that's exactly why we shouldn't have a Pokemon MMO.

Unless your prime source of entertainment is the multiple amount of stupid inside the chatboxes.

I made mention of this topic before and like I said before a Pokemon MMO would literally kill the video game franchise and cause another technology gap like what happened at the end of Gen II before going into Gen III with Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. After all the effort Pokemon gamers go through grinding through their games by trying to EV Train their Pokemon for Competitive Battling or Casual Battles it would also take away the hard work they put into it unless they cheat by using PokeSav. Sure PokeSav is a much faster way to EV Train your Pokemon, but it's still cheating IMO.

Unless the MMO has some kind of technology that makes the Pokemon DS games backwards compatible to it to where you can transfer your Pokemon on there to where your hard work EV training your Pokemon doesn't go to complete waste then I don't see the idea of a Pokemon MMO working at all. I honestly don't like the idea of playing a Pokemon MMO where you HAVE to start everything from scratch and grind through the game again by training the same Pokemon you have in the DS games, that's just stupid.

I think what Nintendo should be doing instead of developing off of the failure of the Wii U and the 3DS, is by developing a way to make Pokemon games of the DS backwards compatible with your computer to where you transfer Pokemon straight to your computer from your DS which would be amazing. It'd be like the Poke Transfer Lab from Gen V except you're not using 2 DS's to transfer Pokemon, rather you'd be transferring from your DS straight to your Computer to the Pokemon MMO itself. Think about how amazing that would be, but then again it's just a dream. I'd really love for Nintendo and Game Freak to do something like that for Gen VI but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

You make it sound like only one can exist at a time. Can't the handheld games and an MMO coexist? I really don't see how a Pokemon MMO could possibly be a problem for anyone playing the handhelds. If they're so attached the the DS version, they could just not play the MMO.

That's precisely my point, what would be the point of playing the DS games anymore If you have the MMO that makes up for it entirely unless it's backwards compatible with the DS games somehow? The two can't coexist unless you're just playing the handhelds for charity or Nuzlocke challenge purposes which is what it would come to. How would Nintendo profit from the MMO? Stupid DLC shenanigans similiar to that of Capcom who are killing themselves by alienating their own fanbase?

A Pokemon MMO would kill the handheld games for Pokemon that is a fact, Smogon would either start from scratch in terms of completely new Pokemon Movesets from the MMO or adapt to the Old movesets from the DS games that could be compatible with the MMO. If Nintendo and Game Freak have a Pokemon MMO for Generation VI by eliminating handhelds altogether, people who play in events like the VGC's will have to use the MMO to battle and not their handhelds by staying home infront of their computers without getting out of their houses.

The way I see it a Pokemon MMO could cause an age gap between Pokemon Gamers where the kids will still play on their handhelds while the adults would be stuck with the MMO thus cutting Nintendo's handheld sales worse than the flop that the 3DS has become. It would cause a huge divide between the majority of Pokemon Gamers across the globe unless the kids dump their handhelds and join the adults on the MMO alongside them but not every kid has a computer or laptop to play Pokemon competitively like they did with the handhelds.

I just don't see it happening, at least not for a main game. It'd probably end up being like Pokemon Ranger or Mystery Dungeons. Like everyone has said, it wrecks the whole point of handhelds (and Nintendo has hinted about the next handheld after the DS series) and getting out of the house.

Handheld games are where Pokemon and really all of Nintendo belong, its just not good with online or wifi related things as compared to Microsoft or Sony. The MMO would be second rate and we'd all just go back to being content with Pokemon Tower Defense 2.

Back