Pokemon Illogical Pokémon Evolutions

MuhFugginMoose

I'd Say Grass Knot!
I split these posts from the "How do you feel about the revealed Mega Pokémon and which new Mega Pokémon are you hoping to see?" thread. Discuss Illogical evolutions here. *[mod]Drohn[/mod]

professorlight said:
it's not easy to connect flaaffy, a sheep, a lighthouse and a dragon together with a good, concise design, and make it as cute as amphy,
Even now, megaampharos is dragon only in it's japanese name and type, and doesn't look too much like a dragon (maybe is dinosaur-inspired? doesn't ring any bells though, and I know my shit about dinosaurs). So I think it's better to wonder why is dragon in it's japanese name.
Not that I'm complaining, any boost ampharos can get is well deserved (unlike some pokemon, who are strong already and now are even stronger *cough* lucario *cough* mewtwo *cough*)

Well, haha, it's also hard to connect Remoraid and Octillery, and Trapinch to Flygon. Haha, Game Freak isn't one to, ya know, make sense. I.e. let's give 3 strong pokemon a boost to make them stronger. but as you said, giving him that second typing is definitely a boost I am more than welcome to.

RE: How do you feel about the revealed Mega Pokémon and which new Mega Pokémon are you hoping to see?

MuhFugginMoose said:
professorlight said:
it's not easy to connect flaaffy, a sheep, a lighthouse and a dragon together with a good, concise design, and make it as cute as amphy,
Even now, megaampharos is dragon only in it's japanese name and type, and doesn't look too much like a dragon (maybe is dinosaur-inspired? doesn't ring any bells though, and I know my shit about dinosaurs). So I think it's better to wonder why is dragon in it's japanese name.
Not that I'm complaining, any boost ampharos can get is well deserved (unlike some pokemon, who are strong already and now are even stronger *cough* lucario *cough* mewtwo *cough*)

Well, haha, it's also hard to connect Remoraid and Octillery, and Trapinch to Flygon. Haha, Game Freak isn't one to, ya know, make sense. I.e. let's give 3 strong pokemon a boost to make them stronger. but as you said, giving him that second typing is definitely a boost I am more than welcome to.

I get the remoraid and octillery one. remoraid is based on a gun and octillery on a cannon.

RE: How do you feel about the revealed Mega Pokémon and which new Mega Pokémon are you hoping to see?

zappy800 said:
I get the remoraid and octillery one. remoraid is based on a gun and octillery on a cannon.

Haha, I know that, but why a fish to an octopus?

^That. But Trapinch to Flygon, although hard to see at first, make sense as they are based on antlions. Trapinch is the larva and Flygon is the adult stage mixed with some dragon traits...
But like professorlight said, I wonder why they put -ryu on Ampharos japanese name? I always saw it as a wool-less bipedal sheep, nothing more...

MuhFugginMoose said:
professorlight said:

As zappy said, gun to cannon; and it's a water-shooting fish to an octopus because they are more like the objects they are inspired on, how would a gun-octopus be? or a cannon/tank-fish? it doesn't come as easily, doesn't it?
And metalizard already covered vibrava and flygon, I will keep saying flygon is part parasaurolophus and no one will be able to convince me otherwise.

I think GF always makes a lot of sense. If they didn't, we would be looking at 649 weird pokemon, instead of 10 or so. And they spend a lot of time designing every pokemon, too; yes, they do stupid shit every once in a while (seriously. elemental monkeys. what the f*** were you trying to pull there, gamefreak?), but if they didn't think it through, we would have like 1400 stupid shit pokemon (if they could even get as famous as they are now).

Mitja said:
Dragon TYPE isn't only about dragons. Like all types, it covers a broader spectrum of aspects/features/abilities, and for Dragon in particular, words come to mind like "majestic", "mythic", "epic".

And what other dragons there are out there that are not dragons (as in body) but have the dragon type for being majestic, mythic and epic, then?
(besides majestic, mythic, epic and f***** rad megaampharos)

Mitja said:
Especially in a case where a "species" type is an added extra, its more about the elemental aspects (however unobvious they might be) than it is about the pokemon resembling the appropriate creature cliches.

Then what elemental "draconic" aspects are in ampharos that makes her have "dragon" in her name if we assume she doesn't resemble the cliche?

professorlight said:
As zappy said, gun to cannon; and it's a water-shooting fish to an octopus because they are more like the objects they are inspired on, how would a gun-octopus be? or a cannon/tank-fish? it doesn't come as easily, doesn't it?

Don't forget about our fighter aircraft Mantine; The airplane shark with guns (Remoraid) mounted under its wings.

Pokequaza said:
professorlight said:

Don't forget about our fighter aircraft Mantine; The airplane shark with guns (Remoraid) mounted under its wings.

Lol wow just realized that mantine has gun pokes on its bottom. Also anyone think it should not be pronounced man teen?

Trapinch to Flygon

Eh? The whole line are Antlions, just reptilian.

Larva, famous for the sand traps it builds to keep prey from escaping:

ANTLION3_big.jpg

Adult:

adult-antlion.jpg

Bogleech said:
Trapinch to Flygon

Eh? The whole line are Antlions, just reptilian.

Larva, famous for the sand traps it builds to keep prey from escaping:

ANTLION3_big.jpg

Adult:

adult-antlion.jpg

Adult adult:

[img width=400 height=]http://www.cmstudio.com/image/Parasaurolophus014.jpg[/img] + [img width=400 height=]http://www.cutehomepets.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/adult-antlion.jpg[/img]

And no, I won't stop with the parasaurolophus thing. Nuuh-uh.

Yeah there's lots of weird ones, I think its funny that some are more of a downgrade, like how Serperrior no longer has feet/arms anymore and such. The above mentioned Remoraid to Octillary is a good one, Ive always scratched my head at this drastic evolutionary change.

I don't really get how Meowth, a biped ends up evolving into a Persion, a quadruped.
Also, I don't get why Purrloin is a quadruped in the main series games, is a biped in the Animé and PokéPark.

I always thought Shuppet to Banette is kinda odd. A living piece of cloth transformed into a living toy? Also, I always thought that Magikarp shouldn't envolve directly into Gyrados. A tiny red fish envolves into a giant flying blue dragon? I would understand if there was a 'middle stage' that would be a purple bass like pokemon.

Reggie McGigas said:
I always thought Shuppet to Banette is kinda odd. A living piece of cloth transformed into a living toy? Also, I always thought that Magikarp shouldn't envolve directly into Gyrados. A tiny red fish envolves into a giant flying blue dragon? I would understand if there was a 'middle stage' that would be a purple bass like pokemon.

IMHO, technically they aren't fish. They are windsocks.
Windsock:
images

Gyarados:
garados-t1.jpg

So actually I think it's very well thought out, a mix of two different theories. I feel like I remember also there being an episode in the anime where there is actually a Gyarados windsock in the background (Children's Day episode?) if anyone could find a pic that'd be nice if you could post it. Also, there is a whole fish going up stream turning into a dragon through magic tale that most people stand by forever (not going to go into that), but I think its a mix of both. Windsock explains the design (long, no arms/legs, wide open mouth) and the typing (Water/Flying), whereas the japanese myth explains most of the other look Gyarados has (Dragon like feature) as well as explaining the evolution from Magikarp to Gyarados.

Reggie McGigas said:

Magikarp into Gyara makes loads of sense. It's based off the legend that the carp that leap a waterfall get transformed into dragons.
(I think in the myth it says that the dragon abused its powers and got stripped of its dragon status, hence why Gyara is so angry all the time - it lost its dragon status and wants it back)

P.DelSlayer said:
Reggie McGigas said:

Magikarp into Gyara makes loads of sense. It's based off the legend that the carp that leap a waterfall get transformed into dragons.
(I think in the myth it says that the dragon abused its powers and got stripped of its dragon status, hence why Gyara is so angry all the time - it lost its dragon status and wants it back)

That last part blew my mind. I most certainly did not know about that. That makes so much sense as to why it isn't dragon. It also explains the evolution and everything. I don't think it's illogical at all.

Blob55 said:
I don't really get how Meowth, a biped ends up evolving into a Persion, a quadruped.
Also, I don't get why Purrloin is a quadruped in the main series games, is a biped in the Animé and PokéPark.

Actually, Meowth are generally also quadruped. Only in the anime do we see a couple bipedal ones. In one episode we saw how much effort it took for the Meowth of Team Rocket to become bipedal.

I never got Bellossom and Politoad. They don't look like the pre-evolutions. Generally I like split evolutions, but why should one be really similar to the previous forms and one differ so much? I would like it if both split evolutions (although differ from each other) would still have some characteristics from the previous forms.

Drohn said:
Blob55 said:

Actually, Meowth are generally also quadruped. Only in the anime do we see a couple bipedal ones. In one episode we saw how much effort it took for the Meowth of Team Rocket to become bipedal.

I never got Bellossom and Politoad. They don't look like the pre-evolutions. Generally I like split evolutions, but why should one be really similar to the previous forms and one differ so much? I would like it if both split evolutions (although differ from each other) would still have some characteristics from the previous forms.

Meowth is only a quadruped in the Animé.

Bellossom is just an Oddish turned upside down and turned Green.

I thought everyone knew that magikarp had roots in dragon mythology?

Even if it didn't though, it still makes sense. Even the biggest and toughest real fish begin as larvae a hundredth their size or more, and it makes sense in a world of spontaneous "evolution" to have some weak things that overcompensate into huge, terrifying things.

Okay, this particular Pokemon just makes my head hurt.

Slakoth -> Vigoroth -> Slaking

Lazy, ALL HYPER, and lazy again.
Vigoroth even gets a new coat and everything. It doesn't even look that similar to Slakoth. And what's the point of being lazy again?
Wouldn't it make more sense if Vigoroth was it's own Pokemon, and Slakoth would just evolve unto Slaking? Is there some story behind this guy?
Also, Slaking is begging to be painted like one of your french girls.

Back